PDA

View Full Version : protecting Sinar groundglass

Steven Nestler
20-Oct-2006, 16:46
I've just switched from a Wisner 4X5, with a wooden groundglass protector, to a Sinar F-2. Does anyone have a suggestion for protecting the glass? I know that Calumet had an inexpensive plastic cover at one time, but I don't see it on their webpage.
Thanks,
Steven

Frank Petronio
20-Oct-2006, 16:50
The older F and P backs accept the folding metal focusing hood from a Crown Graphic, but the F2 doesn't. However a thin sheet of aircraft plywood (1/32 inch) could be cut to slot into place and I think the sliders would even hold it in place.

Tom Raymondson
22-Oct-2006, 14:13
I tried the Calumet cover on a F1. I found it difficult to attach, requiring quite an effort to make it snap into place. Once on it's probably a very good thing for long term storage, but it would be quite a hassle to put it on and take it off when shooting. Maybe this is not really possible, but when I put it on I'm always afraid I will push too hard and end up breaking the glass. I don't see it on their web site, but I'm sure a phone call would track it down. Don't remember what I paid for it.

Capocheny
22-Oct-2006, 15:47
Steven,

Pick up a piece of clear/white plexiglass to fit the frame of the ground glass from a place like Home Hardware/Home Depot. Then, buy some one sided stick-on velcro. One small piece goes onto the frame of the camera and the other onto the back of the piece of plexiglass.

It'll cost you a few dollars and will work like a gem! :)

No muss, no fuss!

Cheers

Steven Nestler
23-Oct-2006, 07:26
Thanks for the replies.

Joseph Dickerson
23-Oct-2006, 16:59
Steven,

I use the Calumet protector on my Sinar and have found that after a while it will loosen up considerably.

Joe D.

Thalmees
25-Oct-2006, 09:57
Hi Steven,
I think the Fresnel Lens is enough as a focusing aid as well as a protector(if you are carrying F2 in its bag or simillar bag).
http://www.sinarbron.com/sinar/conventional/fresnel.php
If you would like more protection(or you do not have the proper bag), fix wide angle(or standard) below to the rear standard and fold it over the fresnel.
Good Luck.