PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F2 metering back...useful?

Terence Patrick
19-Oct-2006, 16:24
I'm interested in picking up a used Sinar F2. Does the metering back provide readings for studio strobes? Is it a useful accessory in general?

David A. Goldfarb
19-Oct-2006, 17:17
The metering back doesn't provide metering in itself, but it allows you to use the Sinar metering probe system, which can provide readings for strobes depending on which version you have. I think the main attraction is for still life work, but I could see how it would be useful for portraits and other situations as well. It essentially lets you take spot readings in front of the groundglass.

The 8x10" metering back is larger than the 8x10" non-metering back, so it takes a different size bellows, if you're looking at 8x10".

Terence Patrick
22-Oct-2006, 23:16
I was thinking 4x5. The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to go with one. I've done fine up to this point just using a regular flash meter and Polaroids.

wordshop
16-Feb-2007, 23:53
I have both a F1 4x5 and a P Sinar 8x10. I never use the 8x10 because I can't carry it anywhere far. I'd like to upgrade to the F series 8x10 back, but I need to know how to identify the difference between a metering and non-metering back. I don't even know which one I have. Obviously the MB is bigger, but that is only a useful statement when you have the other to compare with. Thanks if you could enlighten me.