PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Master Technika conversion

Rob Vinnedge
19-Oct-2006, 13:43
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the range finder on a new Master Technika with what appears to be a cover plate from a Technika 2000? If so, would I order it from Marflex (I guess I could call them)?

Bob Salomon
19-Oct-2006, 13:51
252 652-4401 but you will not save much space or weight but will greatly reduce the value of the camera for resale.

Kirk Keyes
19-Oct-2006, 14:29
I removed the rangefinder on my Tech IV and covered the holes with black gaffers tape. I'm not reselling so that was not a concern.

arthur berger
19-Oct-2006, 14:47
I have a Linhof MT that Marflex did the conversion for. They removed the rangefinder and replaced it with a plate. I would suggest you let them do it, they did a beautiful job and you would never know anything was done.

Charles Hohenstein
19-Oct-2006, 17:28
Messing with a Linhof is like desecrating the flag. :)

David A. Goldfarb
19-Oct-2006, 17:46
If Marflex does it, they can also remove the cam shoe assembly and arm that connects it to the rangefinder saving an extra ounce or two, but for the money you could have one of your lenses cammed and really enjoy the benefit of shooting a Technika. I use the rangefinder all the time. When I need to save weight, I use a Gowland PocketView.

Frank Petronio
19-Oct-2006, 17:53
I had an old Tech IV that I removed the broken RF from, then I epoxied a thin sheet of aluminum stock over the holes. It was a $500 camera and I think I made it better -- patching it up with a new backing material from cameraleather.com made it look pretty decent. But geez, I wouldn't do that with a newer $3500 plus camera.

Mike Lewis
19-Oct-2006, 18:44
I have a Tech V with the rangefinder, which I currently don't use (the rangerfinder, that is). I have not really considered having lenses cammed, but if David recommends it I'd like to hear more from him and/or others on the advantages of using the rangefinder on a Technika, vis-a-vis using the groundglass. Thanks.

Ed Richards
19-Oct-2006, 18:53
The rangefinder really expands what you can do. First - it lets you shoot handheld. There are some times and places where that is useful. Second, it lets you work quickly in places where you might not want to be under a darkcloth - urban settings or places where you might lose your balance or have to keep an eye out for vermin. Third, you can focus in places where the gg is a real pain, either because of low light or inconvenient positiong. Fourth, you can really catch that fleeting light.

Charles Hohenstein
19-Oct-2006, 19:37
To me the whole beauty of the camera is that I have the choice of using the rangefinder, scale focusing or the ground glass. I would never want to eliminate one of those options. And if one is going to lug around a heavy metal camera anyway, the extra weight makes very little difference.

Brian Ellis
19-Oct-2006, 21:35
This is a common modification and makes sense if you're sure you'll never be using the rangefinder. If it's done properly I don't think it will adversely affect the value of the camera and might even increase it. I've seen a few Technikas on ebay over the years with this modification and IIRC they seem to go for about the prices you'd expect or maybe a little higher. I don't know how much weight it saves, porbably not a huge amount, but John Sexton did it to his Master Technika Classic (before he got the 2000) so I figure if someone as knowledgeable as he is thought it made a worthwhile weight savings then it probably does.

I gather that you don't have a plate from the 2000 but are thinking of asking Marflex to provide one and to install it. Adding a nice looking black or chrome metal plate shouldn't be that big a deal, you don't need to have one from a 2000. I'm sure S.K. Grimes could do it, probably Richard Ritter and Jim Galvin as well, and of course Marflex.You might want to check them and maybe other places for cost. I've used Marflex and Grimes for quite a few things, both do outstanding work but they're also very expensive. I've used Richard Ritter also and his prices have seemed better. I've never used Jim Galvin for anything.

David A. Goldfarb
20-Oct-2006, 06:05
In addition to the uses that Ed mentions for the rangefinder, it's handy for portraits or any sort of moving subject when using a tripod, because you can check the focus with a filmholder in the back.

One of the attractions of the Technika for travel is the ability to switch between press camera mode and view camera mode at will. I've even done some impromptu bird photography with a cammed 360mm lens and 6x7 rollfilm holder. It's not as suited for that use as a 35mm camera with a 600mm lens, but for larger birds in places where they are relatively approachable, I've gotten a few keepers with the Technika. I've used the rangefinder in crowds and places where a tripod are not permitted or situations where the only access available to a site was through a tour, and in situations where a handheld approach will produce a more candid, dynamic feel than is possible with groundglass focusing, and the resulting negative will be 4x5" instead of rollfilm.

If I know I'm going to use a tripod and groundglass focusing, I'm more likely to shoot 8x10." If I want to be open to all sorts of other possibilities, then I'm more likely to use the Technika.

I figure there are plenty of other places where I can save a few ounces if I need to, and it's not worth losing the versatility of having the rangefinder for a minor weight savings.