PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a 4x5 for under $700?

gameface
18-Oct-2006, 15:30
I want to try my hand at LF photography but I don't know where to find a good quality, new or used 4x5 camera for less than $700. Is it possible? Does anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on one? I've been burned on Ebay before so I don't want to go that route. What brand is good for starting out without being low quality?

Nick_3536
18-Oct-2006, 15:43
You can get just a camera for $100. Then whatever you want to spend on the lens etc.

What are you going to use the camera for? Different uses will lead to different choices.

Ron Marshall
18-Oct-2006, 15:50
I have dealt with both KEH Camera Brokers and Midwet Photo Exchange on numerous occasions. Both have a good selection of used LF cameras and lenses.

The reviews on the front page of this site compare different types of cameras, and point out their strengths and weaknesses:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/roundup4x5.html

You need a camera, tripod, lens, filmholders, darkcloth, cable release. You can use a 35mm as a lightmeter.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx

http://www.mpex.com/

Michael Graves
18-Oct-2006, 15:52
I use KEH a lot, so I took a quick jump over there to see what they had. Without spending too much time, I found ten 4x5 camera bodies under $300.00 and 14 lenses in the 135 to 180 range for under $250.00. That leaves you with at least $150.00 for film holders and a used tripod.

Frank Petronio
18-Oct-2006, 15:58
Hellyeah, $700 is luxurious. Your best bet is patiently watching here for some frustrated duffer to unload their entire outfit. Next to that, buying an outfit from an eBayer with excellent feedback.

I've seen Cambo monorails with lenses, case, holders, etc. in the $3-400 range. And Cambos (and old Toyos) are great. Graphics are even cheaper.

steve simmons
18-Oct-2006, 16:07
Since you are new to lf may I suggest some reading

www.viewcamera.com

and then go to the Free Articles section. There are several articles that will be helpful to you.

One of these books

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Using the View Camera that I wrote

or

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

check your local library

Yes, you can get a very serviceable camera for under 700 but it would help us to know what you want to photograph so we can make some suggestions. Read the Getting Started in Large Format and then get back to this forum.

steve simmons

C. D. Keth
18-Oct-2006, 16:17
I'm shooting with a 100 year-old gundlach 5x7 that I got for 150 bucks (that's with a 4x5 and a 5x7 back) and a gorgeous old brass zeiss tessar that cost be 6 bucks. You can do it.

Christopher Perez
18-Oct-2006, 16:29
$700? You're rich!

That much money could buy a camera, holders, and several choice lenses.

cyrus
18-Oct-2006, 17:37
A Calumet 4x5 is a perfectly fine workhorse 4x5 monorail view camera (grey, later black, metal) has all the movements you want plus a rotating back, and goes for about 140 dollars on ebay. You'll need a lens and a lensboard, tripod, filmholder and a loupe.

Rafael Garcia
18-Oct-2006, 18:11
My Gundlach Korona View 5x7 was $300.00 including 180mm Wollensak lens and six filmholders in eBay - close to mint condition. I built a 4x5 back for it easily, using a $30.00 Graphic View I back. My 1903 4x5 (modified) Carl Zeiss Jena Universal Palmos was $75.00 and its 127mm Ektar lens and Graphic shutter another $80.00 also on eBay. You just have to know what you are looking at. I see Graflex press cameras go for under $100.00 all the time, and although limited in movements, they will start you in LF just fine.

Jim Rice
18-Oct-2006, 19:05
Cyrus has it exactly right. Get an under $200 older monorail (the ones that come immeadiately to mind are the Calumet CC-400, Graphic View or Grahic View II ((the Calumet has the advantage of readily available new lensboards)) ). You may have to wrap the bellows with your darkcloth to expose. Use the leftover scratch for a modern good lens. Multi-coating IS your friend. It will be a pain in the ass to carry very far, but doable. With it you can make an image to rival anyone's. I would avoid press cameras at this point because of their limited movements. You will know when you have outgrown the camera and have a terrific time in finding that moment.

Ole Tjugen
19-Oct-2006, 00:44
The last LF camera I bought was a pre-anniversary Speed Graphic with working focal plane shutter, working rangefinder, working Kalart Focusspot, and new bellows. It cost $56. Add a lensboard, a barrel lens, and a couple of film holders, and you're still under $100!

Coated lenses are easier to use than uncoated. The advantage of multicoating over single coating is minimal.

Jim Jones
19-Oct-2006, 07:16
Steve Simmons gave good advice. Knowledge is a great money saver. The difference between an expensive new large format camera and an old used one is more in the price than the photo making ability. Old or inexpensive cameras may be less convenient, but still capture the image. The original lenses on most press cameras are fine for their intended purpose, but have inadequate covering power to make the most of view camera adjustments.

The first LF camera you buy can be more of a learning tool than the ultimate camera. With experience, you will know what characteristics are most important to your own photography. Perhaps just one camera will be all you'll ever need. I use press cameras, a monorail, and a flatbed LF camera for different purposes. None cost over $100 USD. The most expensive lens was $125, and I've used it for over 30 years..

gameface
19-Oct-2006, 07:44
You guys are awesome!! Thanks for all the advice. I would like to do some portrait as well as some landscape (mostly landscape). Good to know that I can get all I need for such a great price.

Jack Flesher
19-Oct-2006, 07:50
If you are going to do landscape as well as portriat and since you have enough moeny to spend, I would consider a folding field camera instead of a monorail as they are generally lighter in weight, more compact and easier to transport. You may a bit more for one than a comparable quality monorail, but the conveneience will be worth it IMO.

Older convertable Symmars are great lenses for reasonable cost -- maybe a 135 and 210 and you'd have a very nice kit.

Frank Petronio
19-Oct-2006, 09:02
Modern Rodenstock or Schneider 210s in modern Copal shutters go for under $300 on eBay all the time -- a good portrait and all around first normal lens, with plenty of image circle for movements. I'll differ with Jack by recommending an inexpensive but classic monorail like an older Cambo, Toyo, or even the Linhof Kardan series (really nice). You get a much higher quality camera buying an old monorail compared to a equally priced old wooden field camera. Weight and bulk are factors, but weight and bulk are part of the experience -- I'd wait to build an ultra light backpacking outfit until after you have some experience with more solid and stable gear. Starting with a used and gimpy $3-400 wooden folder might be discouraging...

Rafael Garcia
19-Oct-2006, 09:18
Starting with a used and gimpy $3-400 wooden folder might be discouraging...

Now, Mr. Petronio...I may be old, but I am certainly not gimpy!

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h285/ragc01/Dsc00227m.jpg

:D

gameface
19-Oct-2006, 14:41
Is this a good deal on a new set up??

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=136

Is a Fresnel lense a good lense??

Dan Fromm
19-Oct-2006, 14:44
May not be what you want, lens not included. Why don't you talk with Jim at www.mpex.com to find out what he can do for you in the way of a used outfit? Also talk with the Badgers about used. There's not much reason to buy new.

Eric Brody
19-Oct-2006, 14:47
A fresnel lens is placed on the back of the camera to aid in brightening the focusing screen; it is not a lens for making an image, or were you pulling our leg(s)?

Eric

Glenn Thoreson
19-Oct-2006, 15:44
Anything is possible. Because I had nothing better to do and a few leftovers in the parts box, I built a light weight 4X5 monorail with full movements for about 25.00 out of pocket. Add 180.00 for a Caltar IIE 210mm f/6.3 lens and shutter, it's good to go.
I have many LF cameras, including many Speed Graphics in every size to 5X7, and an 8X10 Conley.
None cost over 400.00. All are very nice, cosmetically and all take really great photos. You can do just as well with a good used camera as with a very expensive new one. Best of luck.

Jack Flesher
19-Oct-2006, 22:11
Is this a good deal on a new set up??

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=136

Is a Fresnel lense a good lense??

When I see questions like this from somebody who has less than 10 posts in the forum, I realize that starting out in LF requires a certain amount of up-front learning and a forum may not be the best place for one to get it.

And it makes Steve Simmons' post (#6) perfectly on point. I think you should buy a book or two and study up before you go much further with this...

Capocheny
19-Oct-2006, 22:42
When I see questions like this from somebody who has less than 10 posts in the forum, I realize that starting out in LF requires a certain amount of up-front learning and a forum may not be the best place for one to get it.

And it makes Steve Simmons' post (#6) perfectly on point. I think you should buy a book or two and study up before you go much further with this...

I couldn't agree more!

In addition to Steve's post... this is the best advice yet. :)

Cheers

Frank Petronio
20-Oct-2006, 04:08
I have a mint Super Schneider Fresnel XL MC for sale, it would male a great beginner's lens ;)

Matus Kalisky
20-Oct-2006, 04:47
When I decided to give the LF a try, I've spent about 3 moths trying to find out from the books and internet how and what to start with. Steve Simmons book was a great and easy to read introduction and overview with couple of very nice photos to show waht can be done. By now - approx. half a year after I started the LF and having 30 exposed slides and negatives I sitll lear the very basics - how to operate the camera and get at least proper expositions.

I have to admit I did spent more than the mentioned $700 - but that's not the key issue here. according to the technical quality of the photos you can't recognise which was taken with the modern fujinon CMW lens and which with the geronar 210/6.3 (caltar E II) lens.

I do not have many advices concerning the camera (I got a Tachihara 4x5 as I wanted a light field camera), but I can put my vote for a used Geronar 210/6.3 (Caltar II E) you can get probably bellow $150.

good luck and do not hurry. LF requires some time ....

Ernest Purdum
20-Oct-2006, 16:53
If you go back to the Home Page and scroll down to the articles listing, you'll find several articles that could be helpful including one written just to provide information on this subject.

kenc
27-Nov-2009, 08:18
You sure can find a nice 4x5 view camera and lens for less than $700.There is one for less than half of that on ebay right now. There is a Calumet 4x5 Professional and 10' Ilex Caltar lens for $325. If interested you can see ebay item number 270491898206
Regards Kenc

Ari
27-Nov-2009, 10:45
See the for sale section of this website.
Anniversary Graphic for $150, includes lens and shipping.

Brian Stein
27-Nov-2009, 14:50
I agree with the general thrust so far
1. Read more as suggested by everyone
2. Buy something inexpensive to start with: plenty of suggestions here

Now the way I did it to start was
3. Buy some instant film (I assume fuji still good despite the demise of polaroid)
4. Practice a lot
5. Make a lot of mistakes (see the article on the front page for a listing!)
6. Learn from mistakes (the tough bit!)

Instant film is a bunch more expensive than sheet, but it gives you immediate feedback. I found it very helpful in getting used to the whole movements, visualization, LF image making dance. After 150 sheets of polaroid I could then tackle the film loading processing etc etc with some confidence that my actual picture taking was relatively likely to work

Robert Hughes
27-Nov-2009, 15:59
I'd go for a Speed Graphic or similar press camera - I started with a Busch Pressman "D" 4x5 camera (bought complete with lens for $150) and still use it regularly.

Turner Reich
27-Nov-2009, 21:43
I'd go for a Speed Graphic or similar press camera - I started with a Busch Pressman "D" 4x5 camera (bought complete with lens for $150) and still use it regularly.

Excellent advice, durable, usable, and affordable.

Kirk Fry
28-Nov-2009, 00:32
I use a crown graphic about 70% of the time. I am lazy and have to shoot fast or my family disowns me. I would NOT recommend it as a first LF camera. The thing has virtually no movements, one of the BIG DEALS about LF. Get a view camera. I started with and still have a Calumet CC400 series gray beast. It does it all (well almost, no wide angle less than 90mm and travels poorly as it does not fold). Anyway much good advice here. Read Steve's book. Good luck. KFry

ic-racer
28-Nov-2009, 11:26
Last two months I helped a friend get started:

$300 = Mint Graphic View II and Gundlach Korona 4x5 from same seller on local craig's list
$125 = very nice (looked mint- to me) Horseman 210mm in black ringed Seiko from KEH
Free = Omega D3 column & DV head & Chromega II head and 'power tower.'
$50 = retaining rings and lens cone for D3

lenser
28-Nov-2009, 13:16
If you are interested in one of the great studio monorail workhorses, I'm offering an almost like new Cambo SCX with standard bellows, ten film holders, Polaroid back (now good only for ready loads), and a 210mm Rodenstock Sironar-N MC. All camera movements are geared, except swing, and work perfectly.

Asking $500 plus shipping, which I expect will be around $35.00.

The camera is in absolutely wonderful shape and the lens glass is perfect. Speeds were tested within tolerance less than two months ago and "sound" perfect today. All you will need to add is a sturdy tripod, dark focusing cloth and loupe.

If you are planning on a lot of field work, this is NOT a good backpacking camera, but it is wonderful for all studio work and architecture plus anything that keeps you close to the car.

Send me (tludwigpix@yahoo.com) your email address and I'll send photos so you can judge for yourself. You can also verify my reputation (100%) by checking my feedback on ebay under Masterlenser.