PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Fotman Gaoersi hobo??

Vincent Malaud
18-Oct-2006, 06:31
hello,

Did you ever use those cameras mentioned in the post title? Is it worth the price? is it really easier to use in the field than view cameras (canham JMC...)

It would be nice if you could share your experience... I am actually giving some thoughts to those cameras.

Thanks

Frank Petronio
18-Oct-2006, 07:46
Hmmm... $8 per shot for zone focusing and no movements, and yet still slower and less fluid than a Leica. Hmmm... I get tempted sometimes too. Then I think about the realities of actually shooting with a beast like that.

Steve Hamley
18-Oct-2006, 16:39
Well, Frank didn't quite come out and say what I was thinking - it's the worst of both worlds unless perhaps you have some very specialized use in mind - and have a client paying for it.

Steve

Ed K.
18-Oct-2006, 17:23
Many great photographs have been made with manual estimated focus and no view camera movements. A large sheet of film is still a large sheet of film.

If you got plenty of light, or wish to hand hold for moving shots, or wish to shoot in high winds, such cameras can work out very well. Instead of shift, you could always just climb a tree or use a ladder!

The non-bellows cameras do have a useful place, and they are faster and easier to use than a full blown view camera. Your results will just be different in most cases, and they might not scream "view camera", however they will still be large format.

Even a dented Rolls has a certain grandure to it, and certainly, a large piece of film contact printed has a very definite charm to it.