PDA

View Full Version : A Request for Scan Samples

Frank R
16-Oct-2006, 10:31
I have been following the recent discussions carefully about flatbed scanner results with dry scanning, wet scanning, and some hybrid dry methods. Everyone seems to claim good results. A recent comment by one member implied that another member's acceptable results that he had seen were not all that great.

What I would like to see is members submit electronic copies of their best scans along with information on what scanner and method was used. Maybe the same negative scanned with two different methods. A sample library if you will. This would be different from the Scanner Comparison test results.

We could then download a file and even print it on our printer. We could then use the file and print as a reference for knowing how good our own scans are coming along.

I would not expect my new flat bed scanner to get the results of a Heidelberg, but it would be nice to see how much improvement I could squeeze out of it by changing my technique.

What do you think?

BTW: If the library idea does not fly and anyone would like to send me their files directly, I am open to that.

Ron Marshall
16-Oct-2006, 11:54
Frank, this already exists on this site (no wet scans):

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/scan-comparison/

Frank R
16-Oct-2006, 12:14
Frank, this already exists on this site (no wet scans):

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/scan-comparison/

Sorry Ron, but no it does not. Those are only low resolution files for web use.

Ron Marshall
16-Oct-2006, 12:20
Sorry Ron, but no it does not. Those are only low resolution files for web use.

Sorry Frank, I should have read your post more carefully.

robc
16-Oct-2006, 12:32
why don't you post your scans then those that want to give an assessment can do so.

Frank R
16-Oct-2006, 13:06
why don't you post your scans then those that want to give an assessment can do so.

Because I need an example to match in my hand; in which to examine for myself.

I can do the assessing, but I need a benchmark to work from.

Mike Boden
16-Oct-2006, 13:09
Here's another webpage of scan comparisons. This includes many drum scanners as well. Maybe this will help.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/jmdavis/

Frank R
16-Oct-2006, 13:32
I may need to clarify something here:

I am looking for full-size files that I can download and have printed. That way I can see what my printer can do with a really good scan from a scanner similar to mine. A benchmark quality standard print that I can work toward.

I am not looking for a comparison between scanners or low resolution close-ups of various sample scans.

So, how about it? I have an Epson 4990. Does anybody want to send me a full size file of their best ready-to-print 4x5 scan? I would like to compare a good dry scan versus a good wet scan done on this scanner. And I would like to see the difference with the various dry methods using sheets of glass too.

Slade Zumhofe
16-Oct-2006, 16:12
Frank,

Are you looking for "post-processed" images ready to be printed? The are MUCH different than what comes off of the scanner. My scanned images are pretty flat and have no sharpening applied. What size? 8x10(ish)?

I suppose a post-processed image can tell you a bit about how well a scanner performs but taking a straight scan--which is usually fairly ugly--can tell you more.

I would be willing to send you either. Maybe a straight scan and then the finished "ready-for-print" image that came from that scan?

Ken Lee
16-Oct-2006, 16:45
It may be hard to judge different images and different scanners at the same time.

Why not send one of your own images out for scanning, by a variety of scanners ?

Otherwise, there will be too many variables.

Henry Ambrose
16-Oct-2006, 16:49
Frank,
I strongly suggest that you have one of your favorite pieces of film drum scanned by a competent scanner operator and use that as your benchmark. You'll have a direct comparison then and one that you control fully. Otherwise you won't know for sure if the film was exposed correctly, the camera was focused properly, the tripod and camera were locked down, the processing was good, or any number of variables that can be introduced after that in the scanning and digital processing stages.

You'll learn lots more from a high quality drum scan of your familiar film than looking at any number of other people's results. Those results will contain the marks of all their skill and/or lack of skill in the use of their scanner and post processing. How would you ever compare in a way that eliminated all the variables? The obvious answer is that you can't.

Go dig out that great negative that you can barely stand to let anyone else touch and have a great scan made. It'll be a great touchstone for your scanning education and a wonderful way to get fine prints from your very own favorite negative or transparency.

Frank R
16-Oct-2006, 18:32
And Slade wins the prize!!!! He gets it!

Thanks Slade.

Anybody else out there with an Epson 4990 that would like to show me how good it can scan? (please read, and understand, this thread before answering).

Impress me with a dry scan versus a wet scan of the same 4x5 negative/slide?

Or just a pre- and post-processed wet scan?

How about a file that you think prints out great at 16x20?

Ted Harris
16-Oct-2006, 19:03
Frank, the library won't work here .... file sizes would be too big. Additionally, the ealie posts are right that you won't learn as much from printing different images from different folks as you will from printing the same image from different scans from different scanners. Do what Henry suggests. If you are anywhere near me come on by and I'll do one for you.

Frank R
16-Oct-2006, 20:31
Frank, the library won't work here .... file sizes would be too big. Additionally, the ealie posts are right that you won't learn as much from printing different images from different folks as you will from printing the same image from different scans from different scanners. Do what Henry suggests. If you are anywhere near me come on by and I'll do one for you.

Thanks for the offer Ted, I may have to take you up on it. And I understand about the file sizes being too big.

As for the other points: I don't want to compare other scanners; and I don't need to see what a drum scan can do. My scanner will never be able to reach that output. I just want to see the best that my scanner can do.