PDA

View Full Version : 1000 places to see before you die...

radiohead123
15-Oct-2006, 13:49
Hi everybody,
there's a great book on this subject has anyone read it?
what r your recommended places to see before you die?
there's also a grat site I found on this subject: SeeBeforeYouDie.net (http://www.seebeforeyoudie.net)

cheers,
:cool:

Michael Graves
15-Oct-2006, 16:51
Hi everybody,
there's also a grat site I found on this subject: SeeBeforeYouDie.net (http://www.seebeforeyoudie.net)

cheers,

Since I can't recommend places I haven't seen yet, and I haven't traveled much, my list is limited.

The coast of Maine
The coast of Oregon
Vermont in fall
The Chiricahua Mountains in Arizona
The Smoky Mountains
West Virginia
Take a steamboat ride the length of the Mississippi River

Josh Z.
15-Oct-2006, 17:36
Some of my all-time favorite:

White Sands, NM
Canyon de Chelly, AZ
West end of Saguro National Park, AZ
RMNP, CO
Black Canyon of the Gunnison, CO
Kruger National Park, S. Africa

Ron Marshall
15-Oct-2006, 17:56
Places I have seen and would love to see again:

Yosemite; Banff National Park; Angkor Wat, Cambodia; Bagan, Mandalay, Myanmar; Florence, Rome, Italy; Istanbul, Turkey; Lake Malawi, Malawi; Umfulozi, Namibia; Pokhara, Nepal; Varanasi, India.

alec4444
15-Oct-2006, 18:44

My wife bought it. It's really quite cool and lists some interesting places to visit. The one's I've been to for the most part are worthwhile places to visit. I'd recommend the book for sure.

--A

John Kasaian
15-Oct-2006, 18:50
The place where you spent your childhood, looking at it through your adult eyes.

Hugo Zhang
16-Oct-2006, 08:54
Combray.

Ole Tjugen
16-Oct-2006, 09:18
http://www.bruraholo.no/images/Lodalen_GF.jpg

Scott Davis
16-Oct-2006, 12:03
I've been to a decent number of places on their list, and when it comes to places/events, I am in large part in agreement. Sometimes things they leave off baffle me a little, but I can't think of a specific example off the top of my head. My biggest bone to pick is that the only lodging they ever mention is all five-star accommodations. I get that they're aiming for places you should try to see/stay at for an unforgettable experience, but it would be nice if they could also include (perhaps a separate appendix or something?) places to stay that don't cost $400 a night and up. I'd even settle for a bullet-point list at the end of each section.

Jan_6568
16-Oct-2006, 13:04
Ole,
how about Lofoten Islands? I loved them.

cheers,

Jan

DavidFisk
16-Oct-2006, 13:09
Hi everybody,

cheers,

I have read it and my votes to go, in order of preference:

1. New Zealand

2. New Zealand

and

3. New Zealand

CXC
16-Oct-2006, 13:52
My top ten, in no particular order:

1. Venice

2. Paris

3. Guilin

4. Angkor Wat

5. Manhattan

6. Yosemite [winter]

7. Someplace with real Fall foliage, e.g. Upstate New York

8. Pipeline, Hawaii

9. Iguazu or Victoria Falls

10. Cappadocia

Donald Qualls
16-Oct-2006, 16:51
Good heavens, I won't live long enough to see a thousand "must see" places before I die... :eek:

A few I'd suggest, however (not that I've been to any of them): Paris, Rome, Giza, Macchu Picchu, Chaco Canyon, and the Acropolis.

Yep, I guess I'm a little biased toward the place people have made.... :)

eddie
17-Oct-2006, 18:25
in no particular order
bagan, myanmar. yosemite (the view from a portaledge 2000 feet up on el cap). fall foliage in the NE. NZ. Tasmania. himalayas. Bryce canyon. yellowstone NP. canyonlands. angkor wat. loas.

eddie

Ben Chase
17-Oct-2006, 21:30
The drive to Jasper up the Icefields Parkway in Alberta, Denali, Yoho, the Olympic Range in Washington State, the Artist Point area in the Cascades, and Hong Kong.

Of course, I haven't been to all that many places yet....so I'm biased :)

Ben

Norm Buchanan
18-Oct-2006, 02:03
1. Iceland

2. Antarctica

Carsten Wolff
18-Oct-2006, 04:37
Heard and MacDonald Islands, Yakushima....

jnantz
18-Oct-2006, 05:17
the slowly vanishing homesteads along the highway in south dakota
the medevil churches of historic armenia

lee\c
18-Oct-2006, 08:22
I saw a PBS video once about North and South Dakota. There were more people living there in the 1920's than now. NO industries or at least enough so everone can have a job. so people leave.

lee\c

CXC
18-Oct-2006, 09:11
eddie,

by "loas", do you by any chance mean Laos? If so, any more specific tips? I've done Burma and Cambodia, thinking seriously about Laos and Vietnam...

Ron Marshall
18-Oct-2006, 09:24
eddie,

by "loas", do you by any chance mean Laos? If so, any more specific tips? I've done Burma and Cambodia, thinking seriously about Laos and Vietnam...

I lived in VN for six months. I had a very pleasant time. The people are friendly, cost of living is low, lots of interesting places to photograph. But where I was in Saigon it was hot and humid for most of the year. The climate is quite varied. I went to Hanoi in winter and it was 37 f. Dalat, in the highlands is pleasant year round. Travel is easy, and I had no hassles at all with police or theft.

I never made it to Laos. As I was about to go a couple of tourists were bombed in Vientienne. But everyone to whom I spoke who had been there loved it.

jnantz
18-Oct-2006, 10:45
I saw a PBS video once about North and South Dakota. There were more people living there in the 1920's than now. NO industries or at least enough so everone can have a job. so people leave.

lee\c

i know lee -
i drove through south dakota back in 1988, i wish that we had more time
to stop and photograph these olde homesteads. for a long time there
was a state-run project through the historical commission to document these
run-down and abandoned farms ... it was kind of like the state's version of the hsitoric american building survey ( habs ) with measured drawings and photographs.

one of the most amazing things i saw there was a grain elevator for a soybean cooperative. as we drove on the highway it glistened in the sun and for miles on end there were fields of soybeans as far as the eye could see. as we got closer, it looked like a gigantic gothic cathederal with flying butresses made of steel. we pulled off the road and drove around what seemed to be like one of david lynch's movie location. one of these days i'll get back ...

eddie
18-Oct-2006, 14:48
sorry. yes laos.
pm sent

eddie,

jwaddison
18-Oct-2006, 22:35
Macchu Pichu and Ica in Peru, all of Vietnam and Gisborne in New Zealand.

Eric James
18-Oct-2006, 23:16
I'm not well traveled because I keep going back to:

Yosemite Valley destinations -

e.g. El Capitan Meadows
e.g The Spires Gully
e.g Any summit
-especially Higher Cathedral Spire, if so "inclined"
-or Half Dome
e.g The Mist Trail
e.g Midway between The Lost Arrow Spire and The Valley Rim (LF not recommended)

Tuolumne Meadows destinations:
e.g The Hot Dog Stand and beyond...

Cheers

Armin Seeholzer
19-Oct-2006, 01:12
The mountain of the mountains Matterhorn in little Switzerland!!!