PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy desiccant?

Josh Z.
15-Oct-2006, 12:55
I've ran out of desiccants that I've salvaged from shipped items, where can I go about buying a box (a pounds worth or so) of this stuff?

Capocheny
15-Oct-2006, 13:03
Josh,

Like everything else... you can usually find them on the bay. This one was found under the heading, "Other Film and Movie Accessories."

http://cgi.ebay.com/200-NEW-SILICA-GEL-DESICCANT-MOISTURE-FIGHTING-PACKETS_W0QQitemZ160040987436QQihZ006QQcategoryZ43479QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

Josh Z.
15-Oct-2006, 17:55
Ah... Duh... For some reason eBay didn't even cross my mind. Thanks.

John Kasaian
15-Oct-2006, 18:44
Folgers Instant Coffee crystals in Bull Durham bags works! I learned that from watching The Rockford Files

Capocheny
15-Oct-2006, 18:55
Folgers Instant Coffee crystals in Bull Durham bags works! I learned that from watching The Rockford Files

John,

Was that Jimbo's idea or Rocky's? :)

Cheers

Ron Stowell
16-Oct-2006, 03:20
Try www.mcmaster.com you are looking for silica gel, they have it.

John Kasaian
16-Oct-2006, 08:11
Capocheny,

I think it was Jimbos idea. It kept his snub nose .38 from rusting in the salt air.

Josh,

You might also try Coleman's Surplus (for dessicant, not Folger's Instant coffee crystals!)

Donald Qualls
16-Oct-2006, 16:19
Check any local Michael's or Hobby Lobby; they sell loose silica gel in pound and larger tubs, for drying flowers without pressing them. If you want to put it with cameras, get a packet of tiny manila envelopes while you're there (the ones about like a 6x4.5 negative); put a tablespoon of dessicant into each envelope and then seal the flap with tape that wraps around over the edge (to keep dessicant granules from leaking out where there isn't glue on the flap). These can be redried just like the commercially packaged ones, by baking in the oven (don't recall the time and temperature, but it shouldn't be hard to find, and as long as it's below 400 F it won't hurt the paper of the envelopes, though cellophane tape might curl or discolor and require replacement).

Ernest Purdum
16-Oct-2006, 16:44
Ron, I was going to check to see if the McMaster people had it. You've saved me the trouble.

I check them almost automatically when I want to find buy something I haven't seen locally.

erie patsellis
17-Oct-2006, 13:00
as a general rule of thumb, if McMaster doesn't have it, they can get it. If they can't, you don't need it.

erie

Donald Qualls
19-Oct-2006, 13:46
as a general rule of thumb, if McMaster doesn't have it, they can get it. If they can't, you don't need it.

erie

Well, yes, but if they have to get it, you're going to overpay compared to getting it where they get it. And for silica gel, McMaster probably charges too much (they do on a lot of things -- what you're paying for it getting *everything* from one immense catalog).

Alan Davenport
19-Oct-2006, 16:50
Go to your local Sportsman's Warehouse, or similar gun nut emporium. Anyplace that sells a lot of gun safes, will probably also sell large cans of silica gel dessicant for use in same. Online: www.midwayusa.com; a 1 liter can (probably contains about a pound of silica gel) is around $10.00 US...