PDA

View Full Version : Adding Casters to a Ries Model A

alec4444
15-Oct-2006, 11:47
This may sound asinine, but I want to add casters to my Ries Model A tripod. Here in NYC virtually everything is paved, so if I want to make more-than-minor adjustments in the camera position I can't see why I wouldn't want to roll it. A purist will probably tell me to put the camera where I want it to be to begin with, then use shift for minor adjustments. That's fine, but I want wheels.

I'm thinking that I can get three that lock, and install them on a wood block that will allow the spiked end of the tripod to be inserted into it. Has anyone tried something like this? Any words of wisdom to impart?

Thanks!
--A

Capocheny
15-Oct-2006, 12:41
Alec,

WHY???? :) Personally, I feel they cause a bit of a loss in stability... but, that's just my opinion.

If you really, really want wheels... I'd suggest you look at one of these instead:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=280124&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Cheers

wfwhitaker
15-Oct-2006, 14:03
Some of the tripod dollies which show up on Ebay are designed for wooden tripods with spikes; not Ries necessarily, but Miller or similar cine tripods. One of those might work with your Ries.

Personally I think you're asking for grief and trouble as it adds complexity and it's that much more to carry. So much for words of wisdom.

alec4444
15-Oct-2006, 18:40
Alec, WHY????
Was setting up a shot yesterday with my 180mm Protar when I realized that the subject was too bright for me to use the lens without a shutter. So I switched over to another lens, but needed to move the camera back several feet in order to reframe the picture.

Perhaps it comes with experience, but I can't really approximate the image I'm going to get when I set up with a particular lens. I find I need to move in or out a bit each time. Would be so simple with wheels!

Personally I think you're asking for grief and trouble as it adds complexity and it's that much more to carry.

Awww, but in my mind it looks so simple and easy! You should come see! :D

Thanks guys!
--A

Capocheny
15-Oct-2006, 18:53
Was setting up a shot yesterday with my 180mm Protar when I realized that the subject was too bright for me to use the lens without a shutter. So I switched over to another lens, but needed to move the camera back several feet in order to reframe the picture.

Perhaps it comes with experience, but I can't really approximate the image I'm going to get when I set up with a particular lens. I find I need to move in or out a bit each time. Would be so simple with wheels!--A

Hi Alec,

Ooooookay. :) Before you modify the legs of your Ries pod permanently... try one of those dollies that I mentioned. I realize moving the camera after you've got it all set up IS a giant pita (and I know you use one of the "little" 11x14's!) But, I think you'll find doing what you want to do (with the modified Ries pod) will also be a giant pita!

I use to use one of those BIG Manfrotto dollies with the locking wheels. In theory, it was suppose to prevent the camera dolly from shifting out of place. However, it always managed to move a teeny bit (especially on a slippery floor) even though each of the wheels were locked down.

I always found it frustrating... but, that's just my opinion.

YMMV. :)

Cheers