PDA

View Full Version : 120 Angulon for 4x5?

Ed Richards
15-Oct-2006, 06:26
I have a 90 and then a 150, and there are a lot of shots that really want about a 120. The Supersymmar is nice, but way too expensive, and a little wide. The modern lenses in this range have pretty small image circles unless you do to a wide, then the lens is huge, and expensive. The specs on the 120 Angulon look great, it is small, and affordable. What kind of performer is it for 4x5? Are there gotcha's with it? I would go for a Linhof select.

Ted Harris
15-Oct-2006, 06:53
I can't think of any major downside to this lens Ed, at least none that don't apply to all the lenses of this age. I used one for many years and, in fact, it was the last of my older single coated lenses that I parted with .... finally sold it about 5-6 years ago. You can, of course, get the details on exact coverage off of the Schneider website btu my personal recollections are that for landscape shooting I never ran out of movements. I have a number of images that I made with the lens that are still good sellers in notecards.

I see no reason to pay extra for the Linhof select either, not in a lens of this age. Just be sure you get return privilages.

Good luck.

Nick_3536
15-Oct-2006, 06:54
The Supersymmar is nice, but way too expensive, and a little wide.

I'm not sure I understand the wide bit. A 120mm is a 120mm. It's wide because of the format you use it on.

If you can handle 125mm the various Fuji 125mm are often not that expensive. Some thing around 200mm of coverage depending on the vintage. Ranging from 46mm filters to 67mm filters. All in #0 shutters.

Michael Graves
15-Oct-2006, 08:18
I think what he's saying, Nick is that he's looking for a wide-field lens. The 120 Angulon 6.8 covers a 288mm image circle and therefore allows the user to get more movements. Here is a shot that I took with my 120mm 6.8 Agulon, using the maximum rise my old Speed Graphic cound manage. Didn't come close to running out of image circle. (Looks like the world had a use for one more barn after all!)

http://www.mwgraves.com/Portfolios/Michael/old%20barn.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the wide bit. A 120mm is a 120mm. It's wide because of the format you use it on.

If you can handle 125mm the various Fuji 125mm are often not that expensive. Some thing around 200mm of coverage depending on the vintage. Ranging from 46mm filters to 67mm filters. All in #0 shutters.

Jack Flesher
15-Oct-2006, 08:58
FWIW, there is a 120 APO L on ebay right now -- great little lens and incredibly sharp.