PDA

View Full Version : Never done this before, opened box of 4x5. Help!

riooso
14-Oct-2006, 17:50
Help,
I am on a small Island in Hawaii. I open a box of Velvia 50 in subdued lighting. It had the Fuji cardboard sleeve surrounding the film. I have other film and will save for last, but what are the chances of survival? I can not believe I did this! First long trip from home, what an idiot! Well anyway you guys have seen and heard most everything so I would appreciate the help. Long way from Rio Oso.

Thanks,
Richard Adams

eddie
14-Oct-2006, 18:41
been there done that! i think we all do that at sometime or another. i opened my changing bag one day with my box still open.

it is hit or miss as for what happened to your film. probably lost a few of the top sheets and maybe fogged the sides of many. i would suggest that you use the film from the middle of the pack if you need to use it.

have some new stuff sent to you from b and h or somewhere while you are still in the US.

eddie

Capocheny
14-Oct-2006, 19:11
Hi Richard,

Well, if you're going to mess up... you sure did it first class! A box of Velvia! I hope it was only a box of 10 sheets and not 50 sheets! Yikes! I have the feeling you'll never make this mistake again. :)

Anyway, don't let it get you down. It's just "one of those mistakes." :)

That said, it'll depend on "how long you had the box open in the subdued lighting for" and "how subdued the lighting was." This will determine how badly your film is fogged.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't use the film for those "once in a lifetime shots." Use this box of film for those shots where you can go back and do a re-shoot if necessary.

The middle sheets of the box will probably suffer the least amount of damage... but the film edges will most likely be exposed to some degree.

[If it was a box of 10 sheets... there's a high probability that the film edge will be fogged pretty good! If it's a box of 50 sheets... the degree of fogging in the middle sheets may be less.]

Anyway, give Jim at MidWest Photo (www.mpex.com) a call (614.261.1264) and have him courier a new box out to you.

Or, Jeff at Badger Graphics.

Cheers

David A. Goldfarb
14-Oct-2006, 20:05
Was the film still in the envelope inside? If it was, you should be fine. If you've taken the film out of the envelope, then you will have some fog.

For a local source of sheet film, call Imageworks in Kaimuki (Honolulu). They are closed Mondays, I think.

Which island are you on?

riooso
14-Oct-2006, 21:08
Thanks you guys. I am in Kauai in the Hawaiian islands. The roughly 18 sheets were inside the folded cardboard that comes with Fuji films. I pulled the cover off and said oh sh...t! I have a lot of Provia and some 160S but under the right conditions I love Velvia 50. I will see about getting some on the island.

Thanks,
R

Capocheny
14-Oct-2006, 21:17
Thanks you guys. I am in Kauai in the Hawaiian islands. The roughly 18 sheets were inside the folded cardboard that comes with Fuji films. I pulled the cover off and said oh sh...t! I have a lot of Provia and some 160S but under the right conditions I love Velvia 50. I will see about getting some on the island.

Thanks,
R

Hi R,

Kuai is a great place for Velvia and Provia... do stop by The Princeville and stop by the pool. It's an incredible place to sit and contemplate life with a great glass of red wine! The pool looks like it's contiguous with the ocean. :)

There's also an area with a black sand beach... rough on the ole feet but beautiful to photograph.

I found the North side of the Island better for Velvia and the South side better suited with the Provia.

Cheers

Donald Qualls
16-Oct-2006, 16:38
Depending on your exact location, and how badly the earthquake has affected local transportation, you should certainly be able to buy some more sheet film in either Honolulu or Hilo. Unfortunately, there may well not be a photo store big enough to stock 4x5 chromes on Kauai... :(

David A. Goldfarb
16-Oct-2006, 19:36
As far as I know Imageworks is the last place that sells sheet film in the islands these days, and they are doing a fairly brisk business as the sole local supplier to schools and universities.

You certainly picked an interesting time to be there, and Kauai is far enough away from the epicenter that I hope it wasn't too severe where you've been.

Jim Rice
16-Oct-2006, 20:17
As far as critical work goes, I'm certain that you're aware that it is toast. I hate it for you.

riooso
16-Oct-2006, 23:56
Thank you for all the help. We have taken on a tenuous existence working large format. I am new at this but, you know, it takes a lot of discipline and hard work to be able to get the image to the final print. I say “We” because I now realize a lot of others are struggling or have struggled to get the next foot forward. Without this site it would probably not have happened that I am now working with 4X5. It is amazing the information that this site has hidden in it posts and the generosity that is evident on a constant basis.

Once again, thanks!
Richard Adams