PDA

View Full Version : MAGNAchrom Launches!

MJSfoto1956
14-Oct-2006, 08:31
http://static.flickr.com/91/269269959_5e824df7d7.jpg

The premier issue of MAGNAchrom is now available for free to registered users at www.magnachrom.com (http://www.magnachrom.com).

I started MAGNAchrom to offer the medium and large format community a publication that would provide up-to-date, accurate information, was handsomely designed, international in scope, and most of all, featured the photography of dedicated users of medium and large format equipment who had few other international avenues to see their work published. As such, we won't focus on the work of the already famous. Instead, I firmly believe that the best photography being done today is produced by largely unknown people (the vast majority of whom are amateurs) who have been quietly working "under the radar" out of view of already existing publications.

Oh, and MAGNAchrom is advertising-sponsored, so it will always be free to registered users. Yes, yes, we need some information about you — nothing personal mind you (for example, we never want your mailing address or phone numbers or God help me your credit card information). Rather, our advertisers will need to know what countries people are from, what kinds of camera equipment you use, etc. So to the extent that you wish to help MAGNAchrom succeed, then tell us as much as you can so that advertisers can continue to foot the bill.

Why is MAGNAchrom considered a hybrid magazine you ask? Well, first of all, the free version can be downloaded and viewed on your monitor and/or printed to your inkjet printer for reading later. Secondly, at the end of each Volume (currently scheduled for six issues per year) we will print a limited-edition, high-resolution, beautifully bound book of all six issues which will be offered for sale. Thirdly, each issue of MAGNAchrom will undergo constant builds over its lifetime. In this way, MAGNAchrom is a bit like a software application and will constantly evolve. And lastly, there is nothing that would prevent us from (eventually) printing the issues for distribution to newstands — however, we can only reach this last stage with your support.

So how can you best support MAGNAchrom? First by being truthful about the information about yourself. (I'll be suspicious from the get go if I start seeing lots of large-format "photographers" from Mongolia!) The cummulative data will help convince those advertisers who are "on the fence" to advertise with us. The kind of aggregated information they will be interested in will be like: "Total number of UK Medium Format users who downloaded issue #2" — that kind of thing. Eventually, they can tailor their advertising to our audience, whose composition only time will tell. Secondly, you can support MAGNAchrom by telling your friends and colleagues about us — needless to say, especially those friends and collegues who are interested in medium and large format photography! And thirdly, you can assist us by contributing articles, offering to review equipment (both new and collectible), and/or presenting your portfolio for review using the Contribute! page.

Finally, what separates MAGNAchrom is that we will use your feedback to change and improve each issue. Instead of excuses, you will see spelling and/or grammatical errors fixed asap. Further as each issue will undergo many "builds" during its lifetime, we can add additional information to the old articles — for example, mentioning that such-and-such product has been updated to a newer model, or so-and-so recently won a prestigious award or wrote a book (or posthumously, so-and-so is no longer with us). This way, even old issues of MAGNAchrom will be up-to-date. All we need is your feedback.

So you see, in a very real way, this can be your magazine. We want to feature you and your work and your ideas. Keep in touch. You can email me anytime.

Jorge Gasteazoro
14-Oct-2006, 08:53
I had the opportunity to register early to help Michael trouble shoot registration glitches and download the first issue.

The magazine is extremely well laid out, very attractive. It has some advantages over print that are undeniable. Michael can use as many pages as he wants on any one subject, for example he has a very in depth reviewe of scanning backs as well as a Goersi camera, both of which did not interest me so I just skimmed over them..... LOL.. just kidding Michael, you cannot belong to this forum without me giving a magazine publisher a hard time at least once! :)

Since the issues are published in pdf format you can download them and read at your leisure and of course you can print it if you want to do so.

All in all, I was very impressed with this first issue, I wish Michael success and if the quality continues to be in this same level I am sure he will be.

baba
14-Oct-2006, 09:17
About time to have an online magazine dedicated only to M/L format.The magazine not only is very well laid out also is very informative. your dedication is very well appreciated in the photographic community in Boston.Thanks Mr.sullivan,great job!

www.Bostonphotographycenter.com

Ron Marshall
14-Oct-2006, 09:41
A very worthwhile read for me. I especially enjoyed the panoramas.

Sign-up was quick and easy. Completely free.

Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Kirk Gittings
14-Oct-2006, 10:04
Well done! Informative and well designed.

Ben Hopson
14-Oct-2006, 10:31
Superb! I can hardly wait for the next issue.

Gordon Moat
14-Oct-2006, 10:48
Technical note on registration: Netscape 7 not working (also tried Mozilla). The page of questions flashes up for half a second, then the screen goes back to the Registration page, though the e-mail and password fields are blank. Is this only supposed to work in Internet Exploder?

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

MJSfoto1956
14-Oct-2006, 10:57
Technical note on registration: Netscape 7 not working (also tried Mozilla). The page of questions flashes up for half a second, then the screen goes back to the Registration page, though the e-mail and password fields are blank. Is this only supposed to work in Internet Exploder?

hmmm... we definitely have had some trouble with some earlier browsers. Fully tested on current versions of Firefox, IE, and Safari.

What specific version of Browser are you using?
What specific version of OS are you using?

Cheers
Michael

Gordon Moat
14-Oct-2006, 11:41
Hello Michael,

I tried it in Netscape 7.02 and 7.1, then Mozilla 1.3. Operating systems included Windows 2000, and Mac OS. The computers I normally use for internet and e-mail are older. No big deal if your site only works on newer systems, though I guess I might miss the articles. I am probably in the minority of users/viewers.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Bill_1856
14-Oct-2006, 13:15
I didn't get a conformation link by email. Use IE.

GPS
14-Oct-2006, 13:24
The same here.

Jack Flesher
14-Oct-2006, 13:36
Just registered, DL'd the pdf and finished reading it. A great read with lots of valuable information, well laid out, graphically excellent... What more can be said than, "GREAT JOB!"

Kudos,

Marko
14-Oct-2006, 13:44
Just registered and everything worked fine.

Mac OS X & Safari

Walter Calahan
14-Oct-2006, 13:50
I didn't get a confirmation link by e-mail. Using Apple's Sierra.

j.e.simmons
14-Oct-2006, 13:51
I'm using the latest Firefox and I get the flashing second page, then back to the beginning - and no confirmation email.

Then tried IE and it worked fine.
juan

MJSfoto1956
14-Oct-2006, 14:08
I didn't get a confirmation link by e-mail. Using Apple's Sierra.

Walter, we have just "fixed" your database record, so you should be able to log on without verification now and download the premier issue of MAGNAchrom.

Let me know what you think!

Henry Ambrose
14-Oct-2006, 15:12
Good job!

darr
14-Oct-2006, 15:31
I registered an hour ago and still have not receive a confirmation.

Windows XP + IE 6.029

Tom Westbrook
14-Oct-2006, 15:52
Michael, one thing that would be a pleasant enhancement would be to hyperlink the table of contents listings to the individual articles--I kind of like skipping around when reading magazines.

FWIW, my registration email came right away.

robc
14-Oct-2006, 16:17
worked for me but you do need to allow full cookies (i.e. not just session cookies).

Looks very good. Would be nice to be able to view the full panoramas online in one image and not two halfs.

robc
14-Oct-2006, 17:17
sussed the facing pages option which makes the panoramas almost complete.

Lance keimig
14-Oct-2006, 19:09
Great work Michael! Can tell you've put your heart and sould into this project, not to mention lots of late night hours in hotel rooms...

Time to dig into it!

registered, downloaded in a heartbeat. XT, Firefox and OS 10.4, Safari

jshanesy
14-Oct-2006, 19:21
Registered. No email confirmation received after 1/2 hour. Screw it.

Capocheny
14-Oct-2006, 19:40
Michael,

I've just tried to register via a Mac, OSX and Safari...

I filled in the first section and clicked "Next."

It shows the second page and then, all of a sudden, it kicks me back out to the first registration page again.

Have tried this 3 times and it happens each and every time. :(

Yet, I notice Marko registered without any issues. Not sure of what's happening!

Cheers

MJSfoto1956
14-Oct-2006, 19:47
as a reminder to everyone, if you have any registration issues it is important to send email to customerservice@magnachrom.com so that we can A.) correct those problems and B.) get you registered even if it requires a manual override.

This way, nothing will "slip through the cracks".

Thanx for your patience!

darr
14-Oct-2006, 19:57
Have patience with the e-mail confirmation 'cause it is worth the wait!

I shoot medium format and large format so this combination is a winner in my book. The article on digital backs is wonderful!! I have not been able to find as much current information formatted in the manner it is presented here ANYWHERE!

The graphic design is top notch and the color is simply beautiful.

I think there is something in this publication for everyone and it is free! When was the last time you got freebies of any real value? I will keep my fingers crossed that the advertisers will get the demographics they are looking for.

What I really hope to see in upcoming issues, is some of the contributors to this forum and their work.

Keep up the fine work Michael, it is appreciated!

Best,
Darr

Marko
14-Oct-2006, 20:09
Michael,

I've just tried to register via a Mac, OSX and Safari...

I filled in the first section and clicked "Next."

It shows the second page and then, all of a sudden, it kicks me back out to the first registration page again.

Have tried this 3 times and it happens each and every time. :(

Yet, I notice Marko registered without any issues. Not sure of what's happening!

Cheers

I'm on Mac OS X 10.4.8, 2 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, Safari 2.0.4, both with all the latest updates.

I've since logged in and downloaded the first issue, also no problems, although the login page looked a little out of whack, so to speak, but no too much.

What's happening is that the site seems to have been designed in FrontPage or some other Microsoft development environment. There's always problems with those in anything other than IE/PC, and random problems at that.

Content-wise, it is one great mag, by the way! I really enjoyed reading the first issue and if the following issues continue this trend, this is going to be a winner. :)

MJSfoto1956
14-Oct-2006, 20:22
What's happening is that the site seems to have been designed in FrontPage or some other Microsoft development environment. There's always problems with those in anything other than IE/PC, and random problems at that.

Yikes! we would NEVER do anything other than code by hand!!

That being said, we *are* making extensive use of CSS and JavaScript and it would appear that older browsers just ain't happy with it! We will try have a fix for older browsers in the near future (likely just a simple page with no JS)

As for the email problems, it appears that our ISP is putting random junk in our headers which causes some email systems to flag the incoming as junk. Fixing this is going to require us yelling at our ISP. We'll see how it goes...

Capocheny
14-Oct-2006, 20:36
I'm on Mac OS X 10.4.8, 2 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, Safari 2.0.4, both with all the latest updates.

I've since logged in and downloaded the first issue, also no problems, although the login page looked a little out of whack, so to speak, but no too much.

Content-wise, it is one great mag, by the way! I really enjoyed reading the first issue and if the following issues continue this trend, this is going to be a winner. :)

Hello Marko,

Thanks for the note... Michael and I are working through my registration issues and I'm sure we'll get things resolved.

I'm excited and looking forward to reading the Premier Issue... :)

Cheers

Brian Vuillemenot
14-Oct-2006, 21:31
Great job, Michael! I look forward to the next issue!

lee\c
14-Oct-2006, 22:14
congratulations continued success

lee\c

David Luttmann
14-Oct-2006, 22:21
Superb Job. No problems with my Reg using Firefox. Hotmail did identify the email as junk though....but what else could we expect from Microsoft?

All the best for the future.

Marko
15-Oct-2006, 12:29

That being said, we *are* making extensive use of CSS and JavaScript and it would appear that older browsers just ain't happy with it! We will try have a fix for older browsers in the near future (likely just a simple page with no JS)

As for the email problems, it appears that our ISP is putting random junk in our headers which causes some email systems to flag the incoming as junk. Fixing this is going to require us yelling at our ISP. We'll see how it goes...

Hi Michael,

I didn't want to sound harsh, that was just my impression looking at the source code. I am not here to promote my business, but web is what I do for a living and I won't mind doing some light consulting. If you are interested, drop me an email and I'll do what I can to help.

Best regards,

Marko

dwhistance
15-Oct-2006, 12:42
Its a great read as well as being very informative. I'm looking forward to the next issue.

David Whistance

George Kara
15-Oct-2006, 13:55
Best of Luck. This is a great way for advertisers and customers to find one another.

Ole Tjugen
15-Oct-2006, 14:04
I got all the way through everything, filled in everything, got the "Welcome and Thank You for Registering". But I never got an email...

BTW, I'm using Opera v. 9.0 under Windoze ME. Works great with all but the most MeSsy websites.

robc
15-Oct-2006, 14:24

methinks that whilst the javascript is quite clever it is also quite complex. By all means validate the input with javascript but using PHP sessions would simplify the code for which screen is being shown. Also php sessions use only session cookies and not the full cookie with embeded email address as currently implemented. And you don't need to code the cookie write. Note that many spy software and adblocking software switches IE to use only session cookies which will stop many IE users from registering unless they specify your domain as acceptable. I had that problem when I tried to register so I had to click the stop sign and unblock your domain. PHP sessions will work fine providing session cookies are not blocked in IE. Most IE users don't know that clicking the red stop sign will allow them to unblock that domain. There is no warning message about cookies being required so anyone with cookies switched off or to just session cookies, won't be able to register as the register screens are currently setup.
Note that with PHP sessions you can just set session variables in PHP and they will be passed from screen to screen. i.e. I would split it into three screens and not one multifunction screen. The extra http requests involved on the server will be negligible compared to the processing for downloading the magazine so I don't see that as a significant issue.

I realise the cookie will allow users to revisit and download without logging in again, but how many people never clear down their cookies and those cookies contain the users email address which is one thing that malware is looking for. Those with antivirus and anti spyware software probably won't allow full cookies and if the user is clueless about cookie settings they won't be any the wiser as to why they can't register.

I guess that now you have done the work you won't be keen to redo it but for next time I'd at least think about it. Or maybe you already did and dismissed it for reasons I haven't considered.

Amund BLix Aaeng
15-Oct-2006, 14:24
I`m on Opera 9.02 and everything went well, the email came in seconds.

Ole Tjugen
15-Oct-2006, 14:34
I got all the way through everything, filled in everything, got the "Welcome and Thank You for Registering". But I never got an email...

BTW, I'm using Opera v. 9.0 under Windoze ME. Works great with all but the most MeSsy websites.

Ah. Got it. It just took a couple of hours...

MJSfoto1956
15-Oct-2006, 14:42
I guess that now you have done the work you won't be keen to redo it but for next time I'd at least think about it. Or maybe you already did and dismissed it for reasons I haven't considered.

Thanx for the interesting insight. We will have a technical post-mortem of the weekend's launch this Tuesday evening and believe me -- everything is on the table! ;)

robc
15-Oct-2006, 14:51
Thanx for the interesting insight. We will have a technical post-mortem of the weekend's launch this Tuesday evening and believe me -- everything is on the table! ;)

One more thing. I just switched off cookies in Firefox on windows and went through the signup process. All went well through all 3 screens. Thing is, that after hiiting done on screen 3, it just went to main page as though everything was OK. If I didn't know that it should display messages about receiving an email I would have thought everything had worked as it should have.

robc
15-Oct-2006, 15:28
I tried the logon with a real email address this time but cookies switched off in IE. The registration does infact work. But because cookies are switched off, I cannot download the pdf file. I got the email OK and login works but clicking for downlload doesn't until I unblock the domain.

The quickest fix would be to flash up an alert box if cookies are disabled when they need to be enabled. At least users would have a clue why all is not working as it should be. I don't know if that solves your login problems on older browsers or not.

Al Seyle
15-Oct-2006, 15:53
Congratulations! Well researched and presented. Looking forward to your next issue...

Eduardo Aigner
15-Oct-2006, 18:14
Yeah, and great images too!

matthew blais
15-Oct-2006, 19:06
Well, Firefox 1.0.7 keeps taking me back to start from second page.
Safari 1.2.1 does the same.
That's enough for me...
Mac OSX 10.3.3

I'll try in a month or so...

robc
15-Oct-2006, 19:21
Well, Firefox 1.0.7 keeps taking me back to start from second page.
Safari 1.2.1 does the same.
That's enough for me...
Mac OSX 10.3.3

I'll try in a month or so...

I'll let you into a little secret. Firefox is so riddled with bugs and security vulnerabilities that since the release of version 1.0 in November 2004, there have been 25 further versions released. Yes thats 25 in less than 2 years. Anyone trying to test anything for firefox compatibility hasn't got a snowballs chance. On the other hand, since the realease of IE version 6.0 in August 2001, there have been only two service pack releases for it. Yes, thats only 2 updates in 5 years. Doesn't take much to know which is the most stable product.

David Luttmann
15-Oct-2006, 22:18
I'll let you into a little secret. Firefox is so riddled with bugs and security vulnerabilities that since the release of version 1.0 in November 2004, there have been 25 further versions released. Yes thats 25 in less than 2 years. Anyone trying to test anything for firefox compatibility hasn't got a snowballs chance. On the other hand, since the realease of IE version 6.0 in August 2001, there have been only two service pack releases for it. Yes, thats only 2 updates in 5 years. Doesn't take much to know which is the most stable product.

I suggest you do some homwork. IE is well known for security issues. As to updates, IE updates are built into XP updates...which appear on my desktop on a regular basis. Security issues are acknowledged by MS on a regular basis and have made the press in excess of 100 times in the last 24 months alone.....so much for your 2 service packs in 5 years.

Ever since converting to Mozilla and then Firefox, my security problems have plummeted. On my workstation with IE being used.....it has been an ongoing problem.

There is a reason why security conscious people avoid IE....and it's not just because of the ugly interface and lack of comparable features!

robc
15-Oct-2006, 22:35
I suggest you do some homwork. IE is well known for security issues. As to updates, IE updates are built into XP updates...which appear on my desktop on a regular basis. Security issues are acknowledged by MS on a regular basis and have made the press in excess of 100 times in the last 24 months alone.....so much for your 2 service packs in 5 years.

Ever since converting to Mozilla and then Firefox, my security problems have plummeted. On my workstation with IE being used.....it has been an ongoing problem.

There is a reason why security conscious people avoid IE....and it's not just because of the ugly interface and lack of comparable features!

25 versions in 2 years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mozilla_Firefox#Release_history

Dirk Rösler
15-Oct-2006, 23:13
To the MAGNAchrom people: your confirmation email contains URLs containing two slashes between your domain and the PHP script:

To complete your registration, click on the link below:
http://www.magnachrom.com//ConfirmRegistration.php?CODE=KJhfdj97

Dirk Rösler
15-Oct-2006, 23:18
25 versions in 2 years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mozilla_Firefox#Release_history

Yeah, and Skoda released 2 new cars while Toyota developed 25. Toyota must make some really bad cars if they need to replace them so often. (Bad analogy, I know, but yours is just as illogical; no offense, but it appears as if you are trying to be an authority on something you don't seem to understand. Plus it has zero relation to MAGNAchrom).

Edwin Lachica
16-Oct-2006, 00:06
Finally, what separates MAGNAchrom is that we will use your feedback to change and improve each issue. Instead of excuses, you will see spelling and/or grammatical errors fixed asap.

Great work. Registration worked like a charm for me and got the confirmation in a few seconds (Safari 2.0.4, Mac OS X 10.4.8, Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz).

The layout for the interview with Shelley Lake could be improved by adding captions to images. My first uninformed impression was that they were off the rack clip-art (feathering of the image edges didn't help), realising that such a magazine wouldn't be caught dead using clip-art, I did proper research and found out the images were her early work. The interview could also be included with the gallery pictures similar to the IR article but allowing for double spreads in between thus giving a more cohesive lay-out.

On page 24, column 1, line 7: Nielson is Nielsen. A word I abhorred when working for some advertising conglomerate. :)

Over-all very good work. Congratulations.

Cheers,

Edwin

Stewy
16-Oct-2006, 02:14
Hello,

Hmm my English ist not the best but this magazine is really good done.
The articles are good mixed and there are not only new modern techniques discussed.

wfg Stewy

MJSfoto1956
16-Oct-2006, 04:25
On page 24, column 1, line 7: Nielson is Nielsen. A word I abhorred when working for some advertising conglomerate. :)

Look for build #2 to come out next weekend. Thanx for the great feedback!

Marko
16-Oct-2006, 08:03

Service Packs in Microsoft parlance are upgrades. Patches, on the other hand, have been too numerous to count. And as Dave pointed out, IE has been made into an integral part of Windows and gets upgraded/updated/patched up through Windows.

IE was a great browser back in the day, but it has degenerated into a backward, sub-standard sordid mess over the last few years. And you don't have to take my word for it, there are entire web sites dedicated to dealing with IE issues, from incompatibilities and non-compliance to security problems. Five minutes of Googling could be an eye opener.

Marko
16-Oct-2006, 08:07
But this really has nothing to do with MAGNAcrom, which really kicked off in style, IMHO. Let's try and keep web discussions away from this topic, shall we?

Michael has obviuosly put great effort into it and he does not deserve to have his thread degenerate into yet another brawl.

robc
16-Oct-2006, 10:17
I refer you to this post (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=188250&postcount=27) which kicked off the microsoft bashing with assumptions picked out of the air and apparently no foundation in truth.

GPS
16-Oct-2006, 11:46
as a reminder to everyone, if you have any registration issues it is important to send email to customerservice@magnachrom.com so that we can A.) correct those problems and B.) get you registered even if it requires a manual override.

This way, nothing will "slip through the cracks".

Thanx for your patience!

Did that 36 hrs ago. Nothing changed.

Vick Vickery
16-Oct-2006, 12:07
After a bit of confusion on my part (I ain't very computer savy!), I got properly registered and was able to read over the initial offering...enjoyed it and look forwart to going back over parts more slowly and in greater depth. Seems a worthwile magazine! Thanks, y'all!

Marko
16-Oct-2006, 12:56
I refer you to this post (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=188250&postcount=27) which kicked off the microsoft bashing with assumptions picked out of the air and apparently no foundation in truth.

That was an attempt to solve an apparent problem or at least a difficulty. And I said "seems", btw.

As for the usual Microsoft bashing/appologizing, I really think this is not the place for it. If you really, really want to keep going at it, please start another thread and wait for others to join in.

robc
16-Oct-2006, 13:15
If you think this is not the place for it then why did you bring it up in the the first place.
You invented which tool was used and then you invented the method of use of the tool and then you used your invention to dis microsoft. You have problems. Deal with it.

Kirk Keyes
16-Oct-2006, 13:54
Overall nicely done.

But I don't get the point of page 6 (Genesis 1: something). At least tell us what Zone He placed the light on when he separated it from the darkness...

MJSfoto1956
16-Oct-2006, 17:39
Overall nicely done.

But I don't get the point of page 6 (Genesis 1: something). At least tell us what Zone He placed the light on when he separated it from the darkness...

Who am I to guess what His intention was!?

Kirk Keyes
19-Oct-2006, 14:26
Your description of how IR photography works is incorect - see page 55.

"Trees and other types of foliage are particulary good candidates for infrared; they are alive and readily absorb heat energy from the sun. When that energy is released, it shows up in the image lighter than the surrounding areas."

For the kind of infrared photography we are talking about here, it does not record light at the wavelengths that we commonly refer to as "heat". At least not unless the object is quite hot -much more than everyday objects, especially one that are still alive. You need thermographic imaging for that.

My understanding is that the Better Light backs are sensitive out to about 900 nm. This range comprises what is typically called "Near IR". Room temperature items, do emit infrared radiation, but this radiation is often called "Long IR" and is in the 8,000 to 12,000 nm region. This is far outside the range of infrared films or the Better Light back.

Since we've determined that "heat", absorbed or reflected, has nothing to do with infrared photography, you might want to update the article (and the one at the Better Light web site) to reflect the real cause of this phenomena:

It;s the simple fact that green foliage reflects near infrared light very strongly. While the tissue of foliage internally scatters near IR that is absorbed by the foliage, it's chlorophyll contained in green foliage that is very reflective to near IR. (http://msp.rmit.edu.au/Article_03/02.html) This means that much of the near IR light that falls on the foliage is reflected back out of it.

When you talk about "energy being released", you may be confusing this with how phosphorescence or fluoresence works, as these processes both absorb light from a lower wavelength, and then reemit it at a higher wavelength. (The difference between them is how long the energy is retained before it is reemitted.) Like a fluorescent poster under a black light - the UV light (less than 400 nm) is abosrbed by the paint, and then the energy is retained very, very briefly for flourescence, and it is reemitted at a longer wavelength, this time in the visible range of 400-700 nm to create that far-out poster of Jimi. While Chlorophyll does fluoresce slightly, it's not really visible in daylight and will not be recorded by IR film or a scanning back like the Better Light.

Anyway - nice magazine - and keep up the work.

Kirk

PS - how about some articles on people that shoot film and not expensive scanning backs.

MJSfoto1956
19-Oct-2006, 19:14
how about some articles on people that shoot film and not expensive scanning backs.

Thanx for the feedback Kirk. Yes of course, every mention of infrared should ideally be replaced with "near infrared" -- look for an update in the next build.

As for film, the second issue of MAGNAchrom is devoted to analog processes: A stunning porfolio and interview of large format color neg work from a long time APUG member, a darkroom methodology article, an apples-to-apples print comparison of all digital vs all analog prints (unlike the tainted results from Michael Reichman et al), a film-based medium format camera review, etc.

Keep the comments coming!