PDA

View Full Version : Is scanning more like a diffusion or condenser enlarger?

PViapiano
13-Oct-2006, 17:03
In other words, I've seen instructions for developing negatives with separate times for the different enlargers, but which should I favor if I'm only going to be scanning the negative...? Diffusion or condenser?

Thanks!

Bruce Watson
18-Oct-2006, 08:14
Typically, less density is better for scanning.

Ken Lee
18-Oct-2006, 08:59
Different scanners use a different light sources.

Many of the flatbeds I have seen, use a diffuse light source.

j.e.simmons
19-Oct-2006, 05:48
So. less density is better and many flatbeds use a diffuse light source. Seems backwards when compared to traditional projection printing in the darkroom, but that's been my experience, too. Perhaps the two processes are not really comparable, which raises the question of what kind of negative to shoot and process if one plans to print both ways.
juan

Bruce Watson
19-Oct-2006, 06:11
...which raises the question of what kind of negative to shoot and process if one plans to print both ways.

If you are ever going to print by projection in the darkroom, optimize the negative for your darkroom work. Only optimize for scanning if you are sure you'll never use the negative in the darkroom.

Ted Harris
19-Oct-2006, 08:24
I agree with Bruce. It is a lot easier to adjust your scanning parameters. OTOH, if you shoot more than one negative (e.g. N,N+1 and N-1) then you should have the right negativges for both processes.