PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone from a newbie...

freespirit
13-Oct-2006, 14:30
Hi Everyone, well I'm impressed to see there are so many active members on this forum, that's good news for LF. (and for me!)
I'm also intimidated, because I'm about to ask probably one of the dumbest questions ever posted....
Just purchased a Behind the lens shutter and a 90mm Sinar DB, the rear element protrudes deeper than the shutter, so my guess is I now need to add a another standard and bellows to compensate for this protrusion, OR can I mount the shutter at the back by the film plane, and if yes, what are the consequences of doing this??

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, I'm new to LF, but not to photography, so any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Eric James
13-Oct-2006, 14:38
Welcome to the forum!

Ebony makes extension tubes ("top-hats") for Linhof-style boards. (There are pictures on the Ebony site and Badger Graphic site.) I imagine that there's a similar product for Sinar boards.

Capocheny
13-Oct-2006, 14:51
Hi Freespirit,

Welcome to the forum... there's NO dumb questions, just unasked ones! :)

Firstly, no, you can't mount the Sinar shutter at the back of the camera by the film plane. The shutter is mounted behind the front standard. And, of course, the Db board is mounted on the front side of the front standard.

I use to have one of these shutters and various Db-mounted lenses but that was many, many moons ago. And, I can't recall that I had any issues with the rear element going back too far and impinging on the shutter blades.

So, I'm wondering if your 90mm lens is mounted in the proper Db board? What 90 lens do you have?

There are two different (I believe) boards... one for the 90 f4.5 (24-1103) and one for the 90 f6.8 (24-1105) but I'm not sure whether they are interchangeable or not.

Perhaps, one of the other forum members will chime in with the answer. But, it sure doesn't sound right to me.

Cheers

Ron Marshall
13-Oct-2006, 14:59
Welcome to the forum. How much clearance do you need? I have a Sinar top-hat board I can sell you cheaply, but it only adds about 10mm.

freespirit
14-Oct-2006, 00:12
The shutter is mounted behind the front standard. And, of course, the Db board is mounted on the front side of the front standard.

Thanks, this was the answer, and seems to work! Now I just need to get a cable release sorted out, and I'll be away. I've read on here people are using Nikon releases, so I might try that out.
Thanks again for the help.

Capocheny
14-Oct-2006, 01:20
Thanks, this was the answer, and seems to work! Now I just need to get a cable release sorted out, and I'll be away. I've read on here people are using Nikon releases, so I might try that out.
Thanks again for the help.

There are two cables involved with the auto-shutter and they're both horrendously expensive. I don't know of any other cable release that will work but... who knows?

Good luck... and have fun! :)

Cheers