PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on harrison changing tent for 8x10

Dave Anton
11-Feb-2000, 13:06
I am looking for a changing tent for 8x10 film holders and I would like get some feedback on possible changing tents. I've only seen harrison tents in magazine s and it's hard to get a feeling of scale, how does this compare to the photofle x one (if the photoflex does accomadate 8x10...???). any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Dave.

Edie
11-Feb-2000, 14:38
I had the Photoflex changing bag and returned it for a Harrison pup tent. The latter is far better made (the Photoflex is pretty flimsy and is NOT guaranteed to be light-tight). The Harrison pup tent folds up and sets up very quickly (the poles are slick) and comes in its own water-resistant bivy-sack-like bag - meaning, very packable. The Photoflex is not. I don't know how you would take it backpacking. The Harrison looks a lot like the Shadow Box but is half the weight. The Photoflex has arms on the side, so for me it was like hugging a big balloon. (I get enough funny looks in the field with my LF camera and didn't need this to contend with.) The Harrison, in contrast, has arms in the front, making it easy to move my arms around when loading film. In sum, I don't think there's any comparison between the Photoflex and the Harrison bags; the latter is superior in design, materials, ease of use, and portability.

William Marderness
11-Feb-2000, 14:56
I used a Photoflex changing tent for 4x5 with no problems. When I changed to 8x10, the Photoflex was too small and my film sometimes got bent in the small space. I bought a Harrison Jumbo tent and it is fine for 8x10.

Paul Mongillo
11-Feb-2000, 16:25
I love my Harrison tent. I have dragged it around the SW and Mexico. It is light and slips easily into a small little nook in a duffle bag. Its design is well thought out. It is very tough and easy to use. I use only 4x5 and there is plently of room, but I doubt it would be enough for 8x10. If in fact there is a larger size, get it. You won't be disappointed with a Harrison tent.

Pete Caluori
11-Feb-2000, 18:32
Greetings,

I'll second the opinion about the Photoflex. I have one and find it fine with 4x5, but it's too small for 8x10.

Regards,

Sal Santamaura
11-Feb-2000, 18:48
The Harrison Tent comes in three sizes. I have the middle version, claimed to be intended for 8x10. In my experience, it's difficult to handle multiple 8x10 holders with this tent. More height would be especially appreciated, but a larger floor could also improve matters. Therefore, I suggest you go for the largest one offered which, if memory serves, is marketed for 11x14 and motion picture use.

Natha Congdon
11-Feb-2000, 19:40
Just to give you a different perspective: I have the Harrison pup tent (smallest size), which I use exclusively for 8 X 10. After a bit of practice, it is perfectly fine for this, and quite a size savings. I have taken mine to Italy, China and Puerto Rico in the last three months, and never had a single problem. It is an indespensible part of my travel kit now.

Nathan

Ron_673
11-Feb-2000, 20:49
I own a Fuji Photo film dark box model FDB12. It is a changing tent/table that folds up like a brief case. I love it! I use it for both 4X5 and 8X10. I have not seen this tent advertised in the past 5 years. It may not be available new any longer.

Bill Glickman
12-Feb-2000, 01:36
I tried the Shadow box, did not like it for 8x10. Now use Harrison 8x10 tent, I agree strongly with Sal, way to small for multiple 8x10 film holders... well constructed though. I think they make one for 11x14, if they do, buy that one, you will have some room to maneuever your hands and the holders. I still find a very dark room at night, like a bathroom and then seal off any light leaks with black felt is the most effective way to change 8x10 film holders... but if anyone finds a good 8x10 changing tent that is big enough, and still in production... I would be interested also... Dave, I recommend you try them first, or buy from a dealer who excepts returns, becuase you may find them not to your liking...

Bruce Schultz
14-Feb-2000, 13:15
I just returned from a trip to the West Texas desert and I used a Photoflex tent to change 8x10 and 4x5 film. I used it mostly at night or early mornings inside my camper, so I didn't worry about light leaks. This has worked on previous tri ps, and I hope my film is OK this time too. It took some getting used to the Photoflex but it works OK. I've never used the Harrison so I don't know any better, but I bought what I could afford at the tim e. For 4x5 film it works great. But 8x10 is really tight, and I usually use a 2-ste p procedure. First I remove the film from the holders (I only use 4) and place i t in the appropriate folders inside a 250-sheet paper box. Then I open everythin g up, remove the box of shot film, and place the box of fresh film inside the te nt to load up. I wasted 12 sheets of Tri-X before I left on the trip. Forgot to place the cont ainer of film back in the box before I flicked on the lights. $25 bucks down the toilet. From now on, before doing anything I will remove the number of sheets I need and close up the box.