PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to Do Large Format, Illustrated -- Part Deux

Alan Davenport
12-Oct-2006, 15:21
In my ongoing efforts to test the boundaries of the photographic world, I have undertaken an informal quest to quantify the methods described in Q.T.'s exellent List of Large Format Mistakes. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/mistakes.html) Despite my best intentions, my feeble efforts have, to date, covered only a very few of the many choices therein. So many mistakes, so little film...

Today, however, I am proud to announce the discovery of a new and ingenious way to screw up that QT seems not to have mentioned!

I have a couple of film holders that don't have the little "low spot" under the end of the film, making it difficult sometimes to hook the exposed film with a fingernail when trying to extract it from the holder. If you're not careful, and sufficiently ham-fingered (I am an amateur radio operator, therefore ham-fingered by definition,) you can accidentally bend the film so far, when your fingernail finally does get under the film, as to actually crease the emulsion. How many of us knew, that when you put extreme pressure on a film emulsion it will develop as if exposed to light? :eek: Yah, I think I heard something about that. Maybe 30 years ago or so.

Ah, the sacrifices we make in our selfless efforts to expand the knowledge base of humanity. Fortunately (for me) this was one of those times that I actually did make a duplicate exposure, so the lesson was not too expensive.

FWIW, I now keep a guitar pick inside my changing bag at all times. When I get to one of the holders that can lead to this form of stupidity, I use the pick to lift the edge of the film instead of digging at it with a fingernail...

http://home.comcast.net/~w7apd/public/bent_film.jpg

In Your Service.....

Michael Gordon
12-Oct-2006, 16:00
Great idea with the guitar pick!

John Bowen
13-Oct-2006, 03:24
nice photo of the nice little cloud under the bridge ;-)

Ole Tjugen
13-Oct-2006, 04:00
One trick I've discovered (after getting stress marks on several sheets) is to hold the film holder "upside down". By that I mean holding the holder flat, and pulling the film out of the bottom side instead of the top. That way gravity helps in getting a tiny gap between the film and the holder, and the film slides out much more easily. After all, you can't see anything anyway in the dark, so it doesn't matter if you "can't see what you're doing".

Ed Richards
13-Oct-2006, 04:52
You could also whip out the Dremel tool and make a finger notch. Otherwise I will await the picture of the guitar pick when it sneaks into a holder when you are loading.:-)

Peter Collins
13-Oct-2006, 05:08
Cheer up! You have apparently documented for the first time ever a lenticular cloud at such a low altitude.....

Joseph O'Neil
13-Oct-2006, 05:45
I love the guitar pick idea - gonna do that myself! Thanks.

As for the image itself (evil thought here ), if you photoshoped the arm of Spiderman sticking out at just the right spot, you might have something you could sell to one of the tabloids.
:)

joe

bruce terry
13-Oct-2006, 10:27
Alan: "How many of us knew, that when you put extreme pressure on a film emulsion it will develop as if exposed to light?"

Not me, Alan. Always assumed there would be jagged cracky lines near the pressure point . Only now, this minute, do I finally know the 'why' of those mysterious occasional light 'fades' along the notched side of some of my past developed sheets.

Obviously I've got to study more ... and stop bending film ... and consider a pick ... or stop biting my nails.

Bruce

Alan Rabe
13-Oct-2006, 11:58
Being finger nail challenged I have been using guitar picks for ages. They make a sometimes frustrating task very easy and I can unload film in a flash. I also keep one laying around when loading in case a sheet gets in the wrong slot.

Paul Moshay
13-Oct-2006, 12:25
Good idea using the pick, I never thought about it and I manufacture them! I use an old piece of 4x5 film trimmed to a semi point that gives a better handle, is thinner, and is always available.

Steve Feldman
13-Oct-2006, 13:27
Paul,

Way too much time on your hands. I thought this was your day off. :D :) :cool:

Donald Qualls
13-Oct-2006, 20:02
How many of us knew, that when you put extreme pressure on a film emulsion it will develop as if exposed to light? :eek: Yah, I think I heard something about that. Maybe 30 years ago or so.

I stress marked some 120 just a couple weeks ago, loading a stainless reel for the first time in a while (I've been doing most of my 120 in a Paterson tank, because I can load two rolls in the reel and only need about 10% more developer than a single roll on stainless). On 120, the marks are almost always shaped like a crescent, about the size of a fingernail clipping...

And I used to have terrible problems with marks of all shapes on the microfilm I used in Minolta 16, until I learned that film has no overcoat and is extremely prone to pressure marking, and changed my handling to avoid creating pressure or friction on the surface.

But I can't say I've ever managed to stress mark a large format negative...

lee\c
13-Oct-2006, 21:20
I believe the correct term for the little cresent shapes is "Murder Marks".

lee\c

windpointphoto
14-Oct-2006, 07:45
As usual I'm probably just not getting it, but why deal with this problem. Film holders are so cheap on Ebay, why not just buy new ones?

Colin Robertson
14-Oct-2006, 15:25
Because it isn't about film holders, it's about technique. Oh, and sharing a joke. . .

Donald Qualls
16-Oct-2006, 17:14
As usual I'm probably just not getting it, but why deal with this problem. Film holders are so cheap on Ebay, why not just buy new ones?

Well, let's see -- I can buy three "new" used film holders that may or may not be an improvement on my existing ones, or a 25 sheet box of film. Actually, most of the film holders I've seen, that'd be more like *two* used holders for the price of a box of (cheap) film.

See the dilemma? Not all of us are able to just spend money because "it's the right thing to do"; instead, we have to choose between one thing and another. For me, now that I have fourteen film holders, film wins, at least for a while (and in fact at present, I'm pretty well stocked with film, too, which means other things win, some of them not even photographic). I have trouble picturing a day in which I'd run through fourteen sheets of .EDU 400 and another fourteen of Ultra 100, and still have the energy to want to shoot more.

Michael Graves
16-Oct-2006, 19:19
Maybe I should consider using my guitar pick to pluck film out of holders. The neighbors are getting increasingly annoyed with my using it on my electric guitar.

John Curran
23-Nov-2006, 13:48
[QUOTE=Alan Davenport;187839]

[I]FWIW, I now keep a guitar pick inside my changing bag at all times. When I get to one of the holders that can lead to this form of stupidity, I use the pick to lift the edge of the film instead of digging at it with a fingernail...

The guitar pick method is certainly popular, I've just used the edge of the darkslide in a similar way. That way I don't have to go looking for a guitar pick that I surely will misplace.

Eric Rose
23-Nov-2006, 19:22
It's a UFO!!