PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for Linhof 3663 tripod head?

Bill_1856
12-Oct-2006, 13:12
I'd love to have a Linhof 3663 tripod head. The size and weight seem as perfect as it's gonna get for a Technika, but $600+ is out of my league. Is there anything similar made by someone else for a lot less? A WHOLE lot less?

Bill_1856
16-Oct-2006, 05:55
I guess not.

Sal Santamaura
16-Oct-2006, 08:34
I guess not.I don't think you'll find anything close. After buying, trying and selling many other types and makes of heads, a 3663 is what is use under everything. Fortunately I bought one before the dollar tanked and paid little more than half its current new price.

Bill_1856
16-Oct-2006, 09:41
Looking through the B&H catalog, I wonder if a Bogan/Mantrotto 468Mg might be a satisfactory substitute? (At half the price, and with the advantage of a QR system.)

Sal Santamaura
16-Oct-2006, 10:43
Looking through the B&H catalog, I wonder if a Bogan/Mantrotto 468Mg might be a satisfactory substitute? (At half the price, and with the advantage of a QR system.)I'm not familiar with that quick release system; hopefully it's more secure than the old Bogen hex plate arrangement.

More importantly, have you used your Technika on a ball head? While ball heads work fine for me under small and medium format, I've come to the conclusion that pan/tilt heads are superior in view camera applications. This is most definitely a personal preference decision.

Bill_1856
16-Oct-2006, 11:44
I agree about the pan/tilt choice. Though the 468 is listed as a ball head, it apparently has the ability to lock the yaw movenent, while still allowing full tilt movement. There are five (5) different QR choices -- I wonder if any of them is compatable with the Arca-Swiss QR?