PDA

View Full Version : Still life favourites

Jimi
11-Oct-2006, 11:02
The last few days I have been thinking of doing still life/nature morte but this is not my usual cup of tea, so I would like some inspiration and a few ideas to copy/practice with. What I mean by still life is basically something propped up (or not) and photographed close-up. I suppose there are few, if any, technical books on the subject.

What are your favorite still life photographers/or photograph?

C. D. Keth
11-Oct-2006, 11:53
The last few days I have been thinking of doing still life/nature morte but this is not my usual cup of tea, so I would like some inspiration and a few ideas to copy/practice with. What I mean by still life is basically something propped up (or not) and photographed close-up. I suppose there are few, if any, technical books on the subject.

On the contrary, there are gobs of books on the subject of still life. Consider paintings, as well.

Ron Marshall
11-Oct-2006, 12:15
Whenever I am in the kitchen I tend to see many possibilities for still lifes. Fruit, vegetables, china dishes, stainless steel utensils, chrome appliances. Many possible props and compositions.

Capocheny
11-Oct-2006, 12:36
Jimi,

Still lifes abound everywhere you look... take something simple, place it in an esthetically pleasing composition and shoot to your hearts content!

I started with flowers and a bowl of fruit...

For examples... just Google "photographers" and visit the sites that come up. You're sure to find that many of them do still lifes of some kind.

Cheers

Mark Sampson
11-Oct-2006, 12:40
Start with the Dutch painters of the 17th century. Then, for photographers, look at Edward Weston and Josef Sudek...

Jimi
11-Oct-2006, 12:41
Thank you for the input! I was... uhm... just trying for an easy way out I suppose, some kind of pointer to the Ansel Adams of still lifes or something. ;)

Steve Hamley
11-Oct-2006, 12:46
Thank you for the input! I was... uhm... just trying for an easy way out I suppose, some kind of pointer to the Ansel Adams of still lifes or something. ;)

Edward Weston

Steve

Struan Gray
11-Oct-2006, 13:23
Some of my favourites:

Michiko Kon
Frederick Sommer
John Blakemore

PS: and Abelardo Morell

Michael Graves
11-Oct-2006, 15:58
I see a lot of still life at work every day sitting at desks.

But I'm interested in this thread as well. With winter sneaking up on me I want to try something like that. So if somebody wants to start a thread where they show their best still life images, I'll love you for it forever. Can't contribute anything right now (too busy shooting cliche'ed photos of old barns), but when I get something, I will.

darr
11-Oct-2006, 17:11
Thread for posting images started:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20358

John Kasaian
11-Oct-2006, 21:05
Andrea Modica, Ryuijie, Martha Casanave, Michael Kenna, and Butch Welch should get your creative juices flowing. Incidentally, they've all had portfolios published in View Camera

william linne
11-Oct-2006, 21:23
Josef Muthafuckin' Sudek!

Chris Strobel
11-Oct-2006, 21:35
Try this
http://www.photoliaison.com/Images/Imogen_Cunningham_Album/index.htm

Jan_6568
11-Oct-2006, 21:42

I will second - Edward Weston, but I would also add Sonya Noskowiak, for some inspiration, may be also Karl Blosfeldt, if you consider his plant works as still life.

Jan

Jorge Gasteazoro
11-Oct-2006, 22:16
YOu should check our own Domenico Foschi site. Click on tarnished..... I forgot the rest. You should see some very nice still life, although these are instruments not "life" per se...

cyrus
11-Oct-2006, 23:57
With winter coming and the reduction of daylight, I've been thinking of still life subjects too for indoor photography- either that or take up night photography (in the cold, wet winter? yuck)
So I spent a few hours browing my local junk ...aka antique ... store to find subjects which are outside of the norm (peppers, flowers, etc)
Here are some ideas I came across: Old clocks & Old cameras, old tools, old toys, old musical instruments, old books...folded paper, metal propellers, dried leaves...

Shen45
12-Oct-2006, 00:09
YOu should check our own Domenico Foschi site. Click on tarnished..... I forgot the rest. You should see some very nice still life, although these are instruments not "life" per se...

Thanks for the link idea Jorge.

http://www.dfoschisite.com/html/~tarnished_promises.htm

Steve

Barry Trabitz
12-Oct-2006, 09:34
I am surprised no one has mentioned Paul Caponegro

steve simmons
12-Oct-2006, 10:42
How about Paul Caponigro's work that came out about 18 months ago - the March/April 05 issue of View Camera.

steve simmons

Eric Biggerstaff
12-Oct-2006, 10:47
Caponigro's "Two Pears" is not only my favorite still life but one of my favorite all time photographs as well.