PDA

View Full Version : which wood tripod

Tim Kimbler
8-May-1998, 14:23
Thanks, but what wood tripod would be the best to purchase for a 4X5 or 5X7 wood camera? I have a book that recomends the zone6, I don't know much about this e quipment.

Tim.....

Britt Leckman
8-May-1998, 17:09
Zone six makes a fine wooden tripod. Pricey though, around $300.00, legs only. You can also adapt a wooden surveyor's tripod, this is the one I like the best. The draw back is that it does not colapse into small sections. Collapsed its sti ll almost four feet long. Graflex also made good wooden tripods in the past, th ey are available at photoshows and in the used market. You are probably best of f to keep your eye out for a good used set of legs. I switch my Bogen Ball Head from tripod to tripod. Since you are shooting with a large camera, you need to make sure that the tripod is strong enough to support the camera. Most wood tri pods are quite able to fit that bill.

BKL

Peter Kowalchuk
6-Jun-1998, 11:24
Try the Reis wood tripod. They are not only beautiful, but they WILL SUPPORT yo ur camera. I have their A100, which is for 8x10 and larger cameras and I can ha ng from the thing! And I weigh more than 200. Plus it is a work of art in itse lf. Heavy? Yes. Big? Yes. Expsnsive? Yes. But well made and a joy to work with. You'll never have to buy another. Unless, that is, your flight crashes over the Andes and you have to use your tripod for firewood to keep yourself war m waiting for the rescue crew. I like 'em so much I'm trading my metal Gitzo an d getting one for my samller formats as well.

Tom Johnston
20-Nov-1998, 16:55
Pete is absolutely right. RIES tripods are the best IMHO. For your purposes, the J100 backpacker would probably be the best bet. Yes, they are very expensive. But......well, just re-read what Pete said.