PDA

View Full Version : What are the silver keyhole slots on the side of a Sinar for?

Frank Petronio
5-Oct-2006, 05:48
On the Sinar F/P series the sides of the format frames have long vertical slots (silver on the older F/P, black on the F2/P2). What the heck are these for?

While I have the Sinar experts attention, are the format frames interchangable between the older F, the P, and the later F2 and P2 standards? I understand that the 8x10 standards have longer vertical rise (at least in the front) and that the rear 8x10 standards are sometimes beefier... but otherwise, can I put a 1972 5x7 F format frame on a 1996 P2 standard and vice-versa?

(Still kicking myself for not buying Jack Flescher's outfit a few months ago...) I am building quite a franken-camera here, double bellows, double rail clamps and plate, bellows hood and more -- quite bizzare looking but it should be solid as a rock ;)

David A. Goldfarb
5-Oct-2006, 05:59
I'm pretty sure all the format frames are interchangeable between the P and P2. I know I've seen both the current 8x10" metering back and the old non-metering back (which I have) on the P. I don't think you can switch format frames between the F and P systems, though.

I don't know what those slots are for either.

Greg Lockrey
5-Oct-2006, 06:04
You can mix the F and P....it was called a "C". The key holes slots were to hang the focusing cloth.

Frank Petronio
5-Oct-2006, 06:25
"The key holes slots were to hang the focusing cloth."

LOL, I almost sort of believe that. The cupholder is missing from my Sinar though...

David A. Goldfarb
5-Oct-2006, 07:14
You can put an F standard bearer and F front standard on the same rail as a P standard bearer and P format frame to make a "C" or vice versa, but what I think Frank is asking about is putting an F format frame on a P standard bearer, and that I don't think you can do, because the F format frame slides in a channel, and the P format frame clamps to a post.

Frank Petronio
5-Oct-2006, 10:48
So that means that you have to buy a P format frame to go with your P standard bearer, because the F frames won't go onto a P standard bearer, correct?

I've been thinking about getting a P rear end (although entire Ps aren't much more). I would like to get one that would hold an 8x10 should I go that way... Thanks

Jerry Flynn
5-Oct-2006, 10:51
Frank,

As a follow-on to David's remarks, I'm pretty sure the format frame itself is the same, it is the manner it is affixed to the lower portion (the standard bearer). I think you could switch the relevant parts by unscrewing them, and I suppose one may be able to find parts from time to time on ebay, but the trouble may not be worth it.

The slots on the sides and top are for attaching various accessories like the viewfinder for the Handy, an accessory shoe, the lensboard catcher, meter holder for the Epolux system, etc.

Sinar has made approximately one zillion accessories over the years. I'm sure there are others that existed.

David A. Goldfarb
5-Oct-2006, 11:18
Yes, what Jerry says is correct (I'm looking at my 4x5" F here and 8x10" P). On the F you get shift by sliding the format frame in the channel on the standard bearer, but on the P the frame stays clamped to the standard bearer which has it's own geared shift mechanism. On the P, you can change formats fairly easily by unscrewing a knob and lifting the format frame and bellows off the standard bearer, but on the front standard there is a set-screw, which is just so you can remove the front standard from the standard bearer for maintenance.

Maybe the frames themselves are the same, but it would be more trouble to convert them than it's worth.

Edwin Lachica
5-Oct-2006, 11:49
On the Sinar F/P series the sides of the format frames have long vertical slots (silver on the older F/P, black on the F2/P2). What the heck are these for?

Viewing hood slide lock.

Cheers,

Edwin.

Greg Lockrey
5-Oct-2006, 13:33
I was close ;) Mine still has the original cup holder after thirty years ;) One of the beauties of the Sinar is that it is very upgradable.