PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Light Impressions??

Ed Richards
2-Oct-2006, 07:01
I buy most of my mounting and storage stuff from Light Impressions. The quality is great, even if the prices are a little high. I have been noticing that I am getting more back ordered stuff, stuff that was usually in stock in the past. I have an ordered that has not shipped over more than 2 months. Is there a problem with the company? Any good alternatives?

Oren Grad
2-Oct-2006, 07:53
I've had the same problem this year with Light Impressions, though everything has shown up in the end. As an alternative, I placed one order for some boxes with Hollinger, but it wasn't packed very well and the boxes came a bit mangled. I recently received a catalog from University Products (www.universityproducts.com), and will keep an eye out for other vendors as well.

Ben Crane
2-Oct-2006, 12:17
My last two orders from light impressions have also been back ordered. Both the orders were shipped within about a week though. I plan to keep using them but will be sure to order materials in advance of when I need them.

Jon Shiu
2-Oct-2006, 12:21
Great products and packaging, but I had to cancel my order because 3 out of 4 items (mat board) were out of stock. I don't understand why they would have to backorder so many basic items.

Jon

Stephen Girimont
2-Oct-2006, 14:35
I've suspected for some time now that Light Impressions has gone to a "Just In Time" business model and they don't actually keep anything in stock anymore. They simply pass your order on to the supplier(s).

Ed Richards
2-Oct-2006, 15:29
That makes a of sense. Their prices are enough higher than the competition that they could afford to pay a piece to third parties. I might not mind, but it now takes weeks for orders and my most recent one just disappeared.

Ben Hopson
2-Oct-2006, 16:17
I have not had much trouble with back ordered items, but this summer it took three tries to get some wide matts delivered without being creased in the middle. Light Impressions didn't seem to mind shipping replacements for them, but I had a customer waiting for several matted prints that were not provided in a timely manner and I felt bad having to keep explaining that there would be another delay. All it would have taken to prevent the matts getting bent was to put them in a box instead of just sandwiching them between two sheets of flat cardboard.

Over all I have been mostly happy with the service I have received from LI, only a couple bad spots, but when there was a mix-up it made me look bad to my own customers.

Saulius
2-Oct-2006, 18:02
Just this past month I placed an order for a variety of items. They back ordered every single item. It took them eleven days to finally ship the order. Then another ten days until it finally reached me. The quality is great but this lag time is unsettling as I needed some matts for an image I sold. Sent two email inquiries, the second one strongly voicing my displeasure and never heard word from them. Makes me think twice about ordering from them again, at the least it would have been nice to get some sort of acknowledgement and response as to why the slow mo in processing orders. Would be nice too if they'd let you know on their web page when items are on back order. I'd advise anyone needing something in a hurry to definately look elsewhere.

Colin Graham
2-Oct-2006, 20:50
I'd advise anyone needing something in a hurry to definately look elsewhere.

I would as well. Just ordered several things last week and got an email today stating that my item(s) are on backorder. No indication of what item, how many items, or when they might be shipped. I emailed to cancel but wonder now if it would be better to call.

domenico Foschi
2-Oct-2006, 23:05
Oh God, Light Impressions....
Backorders? Yes...
Poor service? Yes...
I live a few miles from their facilities and they charge me $ 10 for picking up the stuff in the Will Call area.
Reason? It costs money to them to have an employee stopping from what they are doing and giving me the stuff.
Considering that it takes to this employee less then 5 minutes to see me walking out the door with the merchandise, that means their salary MUST be about $ 120 an hour. Not bad!
:)

Jon Shiu
2-Oct-2006, 23:18
Yes, it is always better to call to order and find out what is going on. Something is really messed up with their web/email system.

Jon

Tom Westbrook
3-Oct-2006, 04:38
The only issue I've had is with their free shipping offers: the goods show up, but sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks. I've decided that I'll pay for shipping if I need something in a hurry.

Ed Richards
6-Oct-2006, 07:13
Just got an update that my order from July is still on backorder - this is simple stuff, 4x5 film envelopes and plastic sleeves.

BrianShaw
6-Oct-2006, 12:43
I have always had good experience with them... in terms of both customer service and product. It is tragic to think their customer service might be slipping.

Colin Graham
6-Oct-2006, 16:37
Oh God, Light Impressions....
Backorders? Yes...
Poor service? Yes...
I live a few miles from their facilities and they charge me $ 10 for picking up the stuff in the Will Call area.
Reason? It costs money to them to have an employee stopping from what they are doing and giving me the stuff.
Considering that it takes to this employee less then 5 minutes to see me walking out the door with the merchandise, that means their salary MUST be about $ 120 an hour. Not bad!
:)

I cant believe they charge you to pick up from will call! That's the goofiest thing I've ever heard..They should call it a convenience tax.
I tried calling this morning to check about my order but could only hold for twenty minutes so maybe I'll try again next week...

Eric James
6-Oct-2006, 20:22
After reading this thread it certainly sounds as if there is an open niche in the marketplace. Are there other reliable vendors selling the same out there?

domenico Foschi
6-Oct-2006, 21:53
True Colin,
I have sent the link to this thread to light impression 2 days ago, I have not heard from them.:)

Pat Kearns
7-Oct-2006, 13:56
My experiences with them were never happy. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I ordered a custom cut mat board which after six weeks still hadn't shipped. Upon calling them, I was told that they were out of stock and were not going to sell it again. I asked them if that was the case why did they charge my credit card and never gave me the option of cancelling my order as required by the Federal Trade Commission. It was at that point I got the option to cancel which I did and then searched for other suppliers. I suggest calling them and see if they can try to satisfy you, if not, then find another supplier.

Ted Harris
7-Oct-2006, 20:32
If you search the archives you will see that there are many options for all the products Light Impressions sells (University Products mentioned above is one). Most are less expensive, most are faster and more reliable but none provide the variety all in one place.

Jim Noel
11-Oct-2006, 12:57
ED,
I hope you have your sleeves by now. ALthough I know there are tremendous difficulties with LI at the present time, so bad in fact, that the school where I teach has ceased dealing with them, I like their sleeves better than any others and was on the verge of ordering some.
Jim

chronic
8-Nov-2006, 17:27
Light Impressions is in a downward spiral. Recently fired the product managers/buyers, catalog designers, and most of the administrative staff to stay solvent.....hence the reason for slow to nonexistant shipping, products and service.

Try:
Gaylord Brothers
Hollinger Corporation
University Products, Inc.
or
Archival Methods (probably your best bet for product availability (read: same day shipping) and reliable service.)

Steve Wadlington
8-Nov-2006, 20:36
I have had great results with "Frame Destination"

http://www.framedestination.com/

I have not ordered their frames, but ordered custom cut mats one day, and they were shipped the next day.

Michael Gordon
9-Nov-2006, 12:59
I am also a former Light Impressions account. They screwed up many times in many ways, and then they canned my rep, disallowed free will calls, and then finally clipped any accounts that didnt exceed 10k in annual purchases (my account included).

I think we should all help Light Impressions on their rapidly downward spiral by buying elsewhere.

brian reed
9-Nov-2006, 19:25
I recently ordered a 16x20 portfolio box and John Sextons book "Recollections" from light Impressions and recieved it 3 days later. Though I have ordered other stuff in the past and has taken over a month to get, due to back orders. I don't know if I'll stop using LI, but we'll see.

BR

ronald moravec
16-Nov-2006, 06:16
Just had to back order 4x5 envelopes and sleeves too. Also 35mm sleeves and respective storage envelopes.

This is like a food store running out of bread and milk. I`m guessing they are going out of business and only selling out what is on hand. Too bad.

ronald moravec
16-Nov-2006, 07:08
Just got E mail confirmation the 4x5 envelopes/sleeves shipped.

Ed Richards
16-Nov-2006, 11:31
Ronald - let us know if they arrive. I started this thread when they back ordered 4x5 envelopes for 3 months. They told me that they hoped they would have a new supplier lined up in Nov. Maybe it happened. I hope so - I liked dealing with them in the past.

roteague
16-Nov-2006, 13:00
Hmm... there is a thread on APUG about LI. It seems they may be trying to win back everyones business.

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33517

Dan Jolicoeur
17-Nov-2006, 13:04
I always had good luck with american frame!
http://www.americanframe.com/