PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 E-6 Suggestions

wfwhitaker
2-Oct-2006, 05:35
I've gotten a bug to try some 8x10 color this month and would like to ask for suggestions on selecting a film. Based on Chris Jordan's description, Astia sounds like it would be great, if only it were available in 8x10. I am not a fan of over-saturated colors, but I would prefer to shoot transparency film. Your advice is appreciated.

Sheldon N
2-Oct-2006, 07:51
Astia 8x10 is available and would be a good choice. You can have Badger Graphic special order it for you, or buy it from Dirk's website at www.unicircuits.com.

wfwhitaker
2-Oct-2006, 12:33
Thanks. Badger can special order it, but it would be six weeks to get it. That's outside my time window. The other link does list it, but the price converts to US$138. That's definitely outside that window. Badger's price is competitive. If I decide I love this, I'll order from them. 'Til then I'll probably default to Provia.

For what it's worth. I'm hoping to photograph in flat light/low-light conditions, so perhaps the contrastier stuff won't be quite so bad.

Capocheny
2-Oct-2006, 12:53
Hi Will,

I'd definitely second Provia... also, there is Kodak EPN, which is also a nice film.

Cheers

squiress
2-Oct-2006, 14:23
Fuji also makes some Pro 160-S and V(or maybe it's C). The S is a little less saturated while the V/C is more. I'm shooting some S at the moment, but don't have anything back yet.

Besides those I would third the Provia and Astia as well. Both are more middle of the day kinds of films.

Stew

squiress
2-Oct-2006, 15:17
Oops, the Pro 160 is negative C41 process.

Stew

wfwhitaker
3-Oct-2006, 08:12
Thanks for the replies. Although I was hoping for a little larger response, the consensus here clearly points to Provia. It's not as if there is a lot of choice anyway. So I've ordered two boxes of 8x10 Provia to try.

Exposure is the next issue. Being a B&W guy, I'm used to derating ISO's. But transparency film is a bit different beast. Some other threads give some good pointers, so I won't duplicate the questions here. With any luck, I'll have things together in time to try a couple of sheets and have them processed so I don't head out completely blind.

jshanesy
3-Oct-2006, 08:50
Although I was hoping for a little larger response, the consensus here clearly points to Provia.

Hi, Will:

Personally, I've never been big on consensus. It inevitably leads me to that which everybody can live with but which nobody really wants.

The best film manufactured today, IMHO, b&w or color, negative or chrome is still Kodak's Ektachrome 64T (aka EPY), which is also still sold in the 5x7 format, believe it or not. Your Wisner will find it ever so tasty.

Jim

wfwhitaker
3-Oct-2006, 09:23
Do you shoot EPY outside? I suppose you can balance anything in PS. Curiously, the one time I've ever shot LF color was about 10 years ago using VPL a la Meyerowitz. But this time I want to try some chromes. If I like what I see and decide to pursue color for the longer term, then film choice will need to be nailed down. Til then, Provia is a starting point. And it's a film I've used in 35mm and MF, so at least I have a little familiarity with it.

I would be interested to know, Jim, if you have any suggestions for E6 labs in the DC area who can handle 8x10.

Eric Leppanen
3-Oct-2006, 12:46
Astia, Provia and Velvia 100 also push well (Astia and Provia can be pushed up to two stops if I recall correctly; Velvia 100 can be pushed one stop). This can be a big help in keeping those slow 8x10 shutter speeds reasonable, in those cases where the subject can handle the extra contrast.

It's hard to go wrong with Provia as a general-purpose E6 film.

jshanesy
8-Oct-2006, 20:24
Do you shoot EPY outside? I suppose you can balance anything in PS. Curiously, the one time I've ever shot LF color was about 10 years ago using VPL a la Meyerowitz. But this time I want to try some chromes. If I like what I see and decide to pursue color for the longer term, then film choice will need to be nailed down. Til then, Provia is a starting point. And it's a film I've used in 35mm and MF, so at least I have a little familiarity with it.

I would be interested to know, Jim, if you have any suggestions for E6 labs in the DC area who can handle 8x10.

Use an 85B to filter EPY outside. Chrome in Georgetown (Q Street, just off Wisconsin) does excellent E-6 processing. They can even enlarge them if you want to have big Ilfochromes made.

Next Mid-Atlantic shooting outing I'll bring some 64T Chromes for you to look at.

archivue
8-Oct-2006, 23:29
i Hate Provia... too much blue for my taste and for the light over here !
i much prefer Kodak 100G, but that's a personnal choice !
While i found that Astia was a good compromise, i stop using it, the greens wasn't very nice !
it depends on : your taste, your lens, your type of shooting, your light condition... and your lab as well !

Rory_5244
9-Oct-2006, 00:22
I agree with archivue's points. Kodak E100VS is what I use for 8x10.