PDA

View Full Version : Saving $125.00 I don't need to spend

Jonathan Brewer
1-Oct-2006, 17:36
After getting my Voigtlander IV #3, I played around w/the lens to see if some of my step-up/down rings would fit the front accessory thread at the front of the lens, I've got a 58-67 step up ring which barely catches, and then screws down real tight as screw all the way down at the last minute, you can pull on the ring and it won't separate from the lens.

Trouble is, when I screw on/off a filter/lens hood, the step-ring will rotate a bit, and the ring has come off in my hand, in other words, it's real tight in just one position. I don't think I have to spend money for an adaptor, and the lens looks so beautiful, even w/the step-up ring attached, I don't want to tape the ring to the lens(I don't want the residue from the adhesive side of the tape to jack the front of the lens.

In terms of fastening the step up ring so it doesn't come off, can I put four drops of two-stage cement/glue/adhesive positioned from each other at 90deg. from each other so that hand tightening a filter on the step up ring doens't cause it to come loose, but I can use more force to take the ring off the lens if I decide to later?

My concern would also be using the right kind of cement/glue/adhesive so there are no gas fumes from the stuff that deposits on the lens element before it cures.

Can it be done this way, or is there a better way? I'd rather not use tape, but I don't want to forget, handle the lens by the step up ring, have it separate, and drop a 100 yr old lens.

Ron Marshall
1-Oct-2006, 18:19
There are many removable glues on the market, such as Loctite:

http://www.aseansources.com/en/BSB0024/product/LOCTITE/LOCTITE-22231

I haven't used any myself, but friends have told me they work as advertised. Check with someone who has first hand knowledge.

Jonathan Brewer
1-Oct-2006, 19:44
Thanks,.....I'll research this, is this stuff ok near glass?

Jonathan Brewer
1-Oct-2006, 20:15
What about Cyanoacrylate glues, and/or Epoxy? In ever so small amounts between the step up filter and the front lip of the lens, will these give out anything dangerous in terms of the lens, while they cure/or over the course of time?

Ron Marshall
1-Oct-2006, 20:33
Thanks,.....I'll research this, is this stuff ok near glass?

I would place a microfiber cloth over the lens with a round cardboard disk over that while glueing, to assure that no glue contacts the lens element. I imagine that it would be harmful to the coating or would leave a residue. I have no idea about fumes released during curing. Try S.K. Grimes. They may be able to put you onto a suitable adhesive:

http://www.skgrimes.com/

Jonathan Brewer
1-Oct-2006, 20:44
Yes I know about SK Grimes, Adam rear mounted this lens for me, and I may call him about an adhesive, although I'd hate to put him in a position of costing himself money by giving me advice on how to do it myself.

I luv this lens and won't do anything that might jack up a 100 yr old lens, I was hoping some the tech oriented/cam techs/chemists might give me a tip on how to do this since I've already got a ring that's close to fitting, of course if it's too risky to do what I'm trying, it'll go to a technician.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

jim kitchen
1-Oct-2006, 20:59
The Loctite will work, and it is safe...

To remove whatever you installed, a firm twisting force will be required to break the Loctite material, after it sets. I use this for several tasks, especially loose threads. Protect the glass from accidental spillage, since it pours like Elmers Glue, and dries rather quickly...

jim k

Steve Hamley
2-Oct-2006, 06:48
Traditional Loctite is anerobic - it does not dry in air. It dries rather quickly when deprived of air though. Spills should be "cleanable", but the right approach is to put a tiny bit on the threads of the filter adapter, not the lens, then screw into place and let dry for the recommended period specified on the packaging.

Heat breaks all traditional Loctite. Simply heat it up and it's loose. I'm not sure if I'd want to heat an old lens, so I'd use something like the removable thread locker (purple).

Steve

Jonathan Brewer
2-Oct-2006, 09:57
Thanks for all the advice,.................If I do this, I'll put four small drops just outside the threads on the back of the ring, screw in the ring from the bottom holding the lens above it, and then let it cure with the lens facing down sitting on top of the ring so gravity keeps anything from getting on the front element, I just want it to stay in place while handtightening a filter/hood onto the step up ring.

The only remaining concern would be fumes during the curing process, or any gas given off when storing the lens, which will be in a lens case surrounded by closed cell foam.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Jim Rice
2-Oct-2006, 15:55
An alternative method is to use a step-up ring with an inside diameter slightly larger than the outside of the lens barrel. Go to the drugstore and get a $0.50 bag of assorted rubber bands and experiment with them until you find one to use as a gasket for an interference fit between the lens and ring. Works like a champ, is easily reversable and looks pretty cool with the colored (I used a red one on an artar, of course) rubber bands.

Mike Castles
2-Oct-2006, 18:04
Don't know if this would work or not, but might consider using some teflon tape..like you use for plumbing to see if you can get it to 'fit' a bit better. Would be worth a try, does not cost much at all and while it is white tape most of the time and might not look pretty it might just keep things in place without using any type of clue at all.

Carsten Wolff
4-Oct-2006, 18:54
Loctite has worked well for me, cyano-acrylate has not. C-A can seriously locally fog a lens and is nay impossible to get off. In a pinch (in the few cases I had to use it) and with caution it can be used sucessfully, however, but removeable Loctite seems the way to go. (I've also used Araldite 24h epoxy before and it's very good if you shield the lens during curing...and don't mind a permanent bond).

Robert A. Zeichner
9-Oct-2006, 16:16
It's possible that the adapter ring you are using has a larger than normal undercut where the threads end and the adapter ring begins. This might result in it never being able to be tightened down sufficiently. I also thought there might be a thread pitch issue as I have come across fine thread 58mm adapters and have experienced trying to screw one into a .75 pitch lens. If you had exactly the opposite situation, a .75 pitch adapter might not tighten properly, but that's just a guess. As far as what to lock down loose threads with, my vote is for clear nail polish. It's essentially lacquer and dries quickly. If you want to remove down the road, just drizzle a drop of acetone onto the threads and it will soften it almost instantly.