PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Schneider Symmar-S and Apo Symmar

Stefano Gatti
8-Feb-2000, 22:29
Hello.

I want to buy two Schneider on the used market, the 100mm and the 210mm. I would like to know from some experienced owners how big are the differences in sharpn ess and contrast between the Symmar-S and the Apo Symmar. I shot landscapes with a Toyo field, mostly 6x7 and 6x9 (but also 4x5 with a Quickload holder). I use only the Velvia film.

Glenn Kroeger
9-Feb-2000, 07:24
Stefano:

Both lens series are excellent. But if you shoot mostly roll film, you will want to be shooting at slightly larger apertures than 4x5 to use the extra depth of field to leverage higher resolution and faster shutter speeds. The Apo series is likely to perform better at f/11- f/16 than the Symmar. I have used the 120 Apo-Symmar on roll film with excellent results.

Scott Bacon
9-Feb-2000, 11:16
I have been very happy with the Symmar-S 210. It is VERY sharp and allows for large movements with 4x5. I chose it over the APO because of price. I picked mine up used for $400. I don't have any personal experience with the APOs, but I don't think you will be dissappointed with either the Symmar-S or the APO.