PDA

View Full Version : Bogen's New Magnesium Pan/Tilt Head - Positive Review

Howard Slavitt
10-Apr-2000, 11:55
I recently bought Bogen's new magensium pan/tilt head, which, combined with the Bogen quick release system weighs only 1.1 lbs. I have used it for two weeks no w and am very pleased with it and the price (about $85). It isn't nearly as stu rdy as my Linhof 3 way levelling head; but it's sturdy enough for my Horseman 6 x 9 (about 4 lbs) and lenses up to 240 mm in length. It's great for backpacking /long hikes with my Gitzo 1228 tripod. The quick release system, while not as n ice as the Arca Swiss system I have on my Linhof head, is more than adequate and seems very secure. If you're looking for a very light pan tilt head for backpa cking for use with a light field camera, you should consider this head. Althoug h the specs say it's maximum weight support is 6.6 lbs., I'd rate it at a bit mo re than that. Field cameras are also very balance in their weight distribution, much more so than typical 35 mm cameras. Just thought I'd share a good find wi th you.

Simon_443
10-Apr-2000, 13:06
Howard, does that head use Bogen's hexagonal q-r plate? Just wondering, as I already have a couple of other good Bogen heads that use the hexagon.

Howard Slavitt
10-Apr-2000, 17:03
No it's not a hex plate; it's a rectangular plate.