PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Readyload packs

Stephen Girimont
29-Sep-2006, 08:30
Hi everyone,

I'm just now getting back into large format photography after some time away. Readyload packs had just been introduced when I stopped doing LF, so I am only now looking into it.

Can anyone tell me if readyload packs eliminate the problem of film slipping or "popping" during multi-minute exposures? I used to use double-stick tape in my film holders when I knew I was going to be exposing for more than a couple of minutes. I'd take one apart to see how it holds the film, but I'd rather not waste one that way.

Thanks,

Steve

Gordon Moat
29-Sep-2006, 13:13
I don't know if this will specifically answer your question, though I do quite a bit of night and low light imaging using Kodak Readyload and Fuji Quickload systems. Many of those are two to four minute exposures, though sometimes longer than that. I have not had an film movement nor odd focus issues, which if I understand your question could result from film movement.

Just for an example, my worst case was photographing some buildings near the coast, and suddenly the wind picked up quite a bit. That was a four minute exposure. The wind caused the packet sleeve to flutter quite a bit at a fast frequency, which I was worried would mess up the final image. So I took a second shot while the light (actually lack of light) was the way I wanted it. When both were processed, the results were the same, even under a 10x loupe. Basically, the wind moving the packet sleeve made no difference.

The other test I have done is a sacrificial film packet. I mounted that into each holder system without it being in the camera, and actually visually inspected how the film sat in the holders. In each case, even when using one brand of film in the other holder system, there was no visible bowing nor buckling.

I also sometimes shoot daytime images at f8.0 with these systems. With selective focus, if there was any problems with the film in the holders, then it would be easy to see in the final results. Overall I am very pleased with these systems. I have a very new Fuji Quickload holder and the slightly older Kodak Readyload holder (black pressure plate, Kodak logo in red on the front). There have been some complaints about the newest Kodak Readyload holders, which is why I stick with the older holder.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Stephen Girimont
29-Sep-2006, 16:55
You answered my question very well! Thank you!

Using film holders two things could happen during long exposures that could ruin the image: film slipping in the holder (shifting down due to gravity) or "popping" (or buckling) due to humidity. I figured that the way the film was secured (if it was secured) to the readyload clip would help with shifting, but wasn't sure. Your answer pretty well indicates that it does. I imagine there might still be issues with humidity over time, but I can live with that, as that happened less often.

I have a new Fuji readyload holder. I'll assume those are OK as you didn't mention any problem with yours.

Hope to get out this weekend to give them a try! Thanks again.

-Steve

Ron Marshall
29-Sep-2006, 21:12
I have a new Fuji readyload holder. I'll assume those are OK as you didn't mention any problem with yours.

-Steve

The recent Kodak holder works with Kodak and Fuji films. The Fuji holder only with Fuji films.

Gordon Moat
29-Sep-2006, 21:36
Just to add a bit, I am doing okay using Kodak E100VS Readyloads in the Fuji Quickload holder. However, it is a tight fit, and if you ever make the mistake of inserting the packet the wrong way into the holder, then it will jamb forcing you to disassemble the holder. The Fuji holder works as a back-up to a Kodak Readyload holder, but I feel you would be better off having the branded holder for each film brand.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)