PDA

View Full Version : Epson r2400 Digital Negatives ?

Cynan
28-Sep-2006, 05:38
... So I got myself an Epson r2400, and now I want to make digital negatives.

Can the r2400 cope with OHP film and if so what brand/setting should I be using? I want to avoid the pooling and smudging I've heard so much about on other forums. Are there any epson users out there that have had sucess with this printer/film combination?

Thanks

Joe Lipka
28-Sep-2006, 06:16
R2400 is good gear. I have used it to make over 30 digital negatives so far. Most everyone uses Pictorico OHP film. I use the clear stuff because I make platinum prints.

My web site has a few pages showing what I do to get a platinum print from a digital negative. What I show makes sense only if you are familiar with the PDN or Burkholder method of creating digital negatives for a desktop printer. From the home page start with the platinum print button.

Cynan
28-Sep-2006, 09:18
Thanks Joe, swish site btw- I dont think they sell Pictorico in the UK. Has anyone tried Permajet transparency film in an Epson?

Cynan
21-Oct-2006, 13:10
Well, I ended up getting some PermaJet Fine Art OHP Transfer Film for my Epson.

My first print produced pooling in the darkest areas and fine banding running down the entire image. I'm now playing with the print density.

Can anyone recommend viable settings for permajet or pictorico OHP film on an Epson r2400?

Richard

TLGG1
22-Oct-2006, 21:47
Isn't it less expensive to make them the old fashioned way using direct duping film? Or make a fine print and do a copy neg to size?

Cynan
23-Oct-2006, 04:54
Ha! You've got a point there - I can't believe there's so little information out there on this matter.

What should I expect to pay for, lets say, an 8 x 10 interpositive(?) in the UK? I'm getting tired of this geekery and just want to make prints.

David Luttmann
23-Oct-2006, 06:03
Isn't it less expensive to make them the old fashioned way using direct duping film? Or make a fine print and do a copy neg to size?

You have far more control over making corrections to the digital neg than you do a interpositive.

Keith Taylor
24-Oct-2006, 14:26
I dont think they sell Pictorico in the UK. Has anyone tried Permajet transparency film in an Epson?

You may want to try AccuArt 2. This product is made in the USA, and is identical to Pictorico OHP - I've used it. There are small differences such as the AccuArt 2 has a little more static to it, but I used two 66' x 17" rolls with my Epson 4000 and found the negs printed identically (in platinum) to those I'd made on Pictorico. Their website is http://www.chromaline.com/accuart2.html. They list a UK dealer: Pyramid Screen Products, Sutton Business Centre, Restmor Way, Wallington, Surrey, SM6 7AH Tel: 020 8255 2130 Fax: 020 8255 2102.

Keith.
www.keithtaylorphoto.com