PDA

View Full Version : September/October View Camera

Jeff Morfit
26-Sep-2006, 08:56
Wow, no one has anything to say about the Sept./Oct. issue of View Camera? Usually there is a least one page of comments by this time of the month.

Donald Brewster
26-Sep-2006, 09:03
I liked the article on the new Fotoman and the article on using a Pinhole with a 4x5.

David Luttmann
26-Sep-2006, 10:46
Do we have a confirmed list of spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors yet....or are we finally just concerning ourselves more with the actual content....heaven forbid ;-)

BrianShaw
26-Sep-2006, 11:43
haven't received it yet... boo-hoo.

Scott Knowles
26-Sep-2006, 12:12
I haven't gotten my subscription copy yet. What newstands get first dibs on issues? They're like Photo Techniques, subscribers get the second round of issues. Makes you want to ask, "Hey, who pays the bills, those who paid in advance or those who you hope buy an issue?" :rolleyes:

Jeff Morfit
26-Sep-2006, 12:12
Yeah, I am still waiting for mine too. Guess I will have to be satisfied with re-reading some of the previous issues. Just so long as I stay out of trouble. :-)

Joseph O'Neil
26-Sep-2006, 12:28
Hey, be happy guys. Here in Canada - and i live exactly one hour drive from the US boarder - we usually see VC magazine about a month late. I do not expect to see the Sept/Oct issue for another week or two yet. Yes, and i just checked it this past Saturday - the July/Aug issue is still on the stands. IMO, it's not VC magazine fault, it's just hte way specialty items of any kind seem to crawl accross the boarder anymore. :(

joe

Louie Powell
26-Sep-2006, 12:41
Guys -

I'm a View Camera subscriber. But in one of my other lives I'm the editor of a (non-photographic) magazine. My experience is that delivery is the one thing that readers bitch and moan about constantly - and that I can do absolutely nothing to improve!

The printer receives a digital mailing list and prints up the mailing labels in his shop in Mississippi, and applies them to the magazine after he completes assembling them. Then, they go into the hands of the US Postal Service, and from that point on all bets are off. It takes upwards of two weeks for them to arrive at addresses across the US, and readers outside the US have to wait several months.

When it comes, it comes. Until then, complaining doesn't do any good.

Ron Marshall
26-Sep-2006, 12:54
When it comes, it comes. Until then, complaining doesn't do any good.

Complaints about late delivery are a complement to the magazine and the editor. It's an indication of the eagerness and appreciativeness of the subscribers.

SteveL
26-Sep-2006, 13:33
I don't mean to upset anyone, but mine arrived, via Robert White, on Thursday last (21st). What is it with the US/Canada border?

Ron Stowell
26-Sep-2006, 15:16
I got a complaint, got my issue today in a plaine white wrapper( hand written address) ( nice hand writting) without the mailing label and now I have no way of connecting to the web site to see the rest of the issue. End of my CB&M ( Cry bitch and Moan)

Andrew O'Neill
26-Sep-2006, 21:29
picked mine up at local book store a couple of weeks ago...I live near Vancouver, BC. I guess we're more important than you people in Ontario...heh heh heh.

Tom Jones
26-Sep-2006, 22:06
Ha! I live in the mountains of SoCal, and for some reason, magazines and journals generally arrive a couple of days to a week after the rest of the world gets them. Not this time boys and girls, I got mine today!

roteague
26-Sep-2006, 22:22
picked mine up at local book store a couple of weeks ago...I live near Vancouver, BC. I guess we're more important than you people in Ontario...heh heh heh.

I'll be lucky to see this issue in the bookstores by the middle of October.

Marko
26-Sep-2006, 23:24
Do we have a confirmed list of spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors yet....or are we finally just concerning ourselves more with the actual content....heaven forbid ;-)

Hear, hear. It's been some 14 hours since the thread started and it's not even locked down yet! Must be late delivery so the usual audience didn't have a chance to pull out their magnifying glasses yet. Although historically it hasn't been much of a show stopper.

Yeah, I think you're right, something's amiss here... ;)

Capocheny
27-Sep-2006, 00:30
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Hmmmm.... must be a slow posting day so I'm going back to sleep now until something much more interesting is posted!zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BrianShaw
27-Sep-2006, 18:19
Still no magazine. boo-hoo, boo-hoo.

Andrew O'Neill
27-Sep-2006, 18:30
Hey, Capocheny! I thought you were an insomniac?

Brian Ellis
27-Sep-2006, 19:20
I received a notice a few weeks ago that my subscription had expired, with no previous request to renew it and no warning that the subscription was about to expire. I renewed but I don't know whether I did so in time to get the current issue or not.

Capocheny
27-Sep-2006, 19:25
Hey, Capocheny! I thought you were an insomniac?

I am (usually!) but this thread made me WANT to go to sleep! :)

Cheers

PViapiano
27-Sep-2006, 21:03
Anybody get their LensWork Extended yet?

:)

DrPablo
27-Sep-2006, 21:40
I still haven't received mine. I e-mailed last week and they said 'oh, it was mailed a couple weeks ago, you should get yours any day now'.

This is the second month in a row that I'm going to have to call them to get my copy. The first month they confirmed that they hadn't mailed mine at all. Really annoying. :mad:

PViapiano
28-Sep-2006, 00:19
I had to email several times re my last Extended CD...seems like they arrive a month after the print issue now...

Don Wallace
28-Sep-2006, 05:40
Hey, be happy guys. Here in Canada - and i live exactly one hour drive from the US boarder - we usually see VC magazine about a month late. I do not expect to see the Sept/Oct issue for another week or two yet. Yes, and i just checked it this past Saturday - the July/Aug issue is still on the stands. IMO, it's not VC magazine fault, it's just hte way specialty items of any kind seem to crawl accross the boarder anymore. :(

joe

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, and picked up mine on Monday. It always arrives at the same time as a relgious magazine I read, so maybe ... nah, that couldn't be it.

On the other hand, the magazine store that puts it aside for me seems to forget every now and then. What were the contents of the issue before this one? What was on the cover? It may be time for a subscription. I would rather it be later than never.

I always look forward to new issues of VC. This one has less articles that are of interest to me but the last one (whichever that was) was terrific.

Joe Lipka
28-Sep-2006, 07:56
I had to email several times re my last Extended CD...seems like they arrive a month after the print issue now...

That's because the extended version is completed after the print version. It takes time to add all the goodies and extra features, link them together and send it off for duplication.

Scott Davis
28-Sep-2006, 11:37
I got my VC issue on Tuesday this week. The usual editorial detritus was exceptionally low this time, or else I was half-asleep when reading it, since I didn't notice it. Either Steve had more spare time when putting together this issue, or he's finally gotten himself an intern/aide who has a greater than fifth grade literacy level and/or attention span. Kudos, Steve, for a job better done!

Joseph O'Neil
28-Sep-2006, 13:16
I live in Ottawa, Ontario, and picked up mine on Monday. It always arrives at the same time as a relgious magazine I read, so maybe ... nah, that couldn't be it.

-snip-

I just checked my fav magazine store downtown a couple hours ago - they still have the July/Aug VC issue on the stands. :( Ah well, good excuse to drive up to Chapters tonight.

Mind you, my store keeps the photo magazines just down the wall from the "adult", unlike your store, so maybe there *IS* a connection we don't know about.
:)
joe

Diane Maher
28-Sep-2006, 16:43
I received a notice a few weeks ago that my subscription had expired, with no previous request to renew it and no warning that the subscription was about to expire. I renewed but I don't know whether I did so in time to get the current issue or not.
Me either. I should have thought to ask Steve that when I spoke to him on the phone.

Michael Graves
28-Sep-2006, 17:07
You know, Scott...if you don't like the magazine, don't subscribe. I don't pretend to speak for others, but I personally am getting tired of the attacks going on in this forum. You could always volunteer as an editor if your education is beyond fifth grade.

Ron Marshall
28-Sep-2006, 18:23
Mine has just arrived, in Chicago.

darr
28-Sep-2006, 19:06
Just gone mine in the mailbox south of Miami FL.

Scott Davis
29-Sep-2006, 07:13
You know, Scott...if you don't like the magazine, don't subscribe. I don't pretend to speak for others, but I personally am getting tired of the attacks going on in this forum. You could always volunteer as an editor if your education is beyond fifth grade.

Perhaps you mis-understood. I have a subscription. I read the magazine with a critical eye because that is part of my educational training and my career foundation. I don't always like every issue, because not every issue has articles that twist my crank. That's life. I do maintain my subscription because it is a unique forum, and even with the typos, it provides me with enough useful and/or interesting information that I feel it is worth maintaining my subscription.

Historically, View Camera has not maintained a level of quality control on the copies that go out the door commensurate with what I believe we should be able to expect, given the overall production standards of the magazine. It is printed on high quality paper, with fine inks, in a very professionally presented format. However, there have been problems with things like layout of articles, significant typographical errors, mis-identification of artists either in image captions or in articles.

I was commenting that the quality control in this issue seems to have gone up, and was giving Steve a pat on the back for it. Perhaps you mistook my tone for being sarcastic when it was not. So, let me rephrase. I am pleased to see that the quality control has improved; Steve, whatever you did this issue to get there, keep doing it. It is appreciated.

alec4444
29-Sep-2006, 20:46
Does anyone know where I can purchase an issue of this magazine in NYC south of 23rd Street? I want to read a couple issues to see if it's something I'm interested in. Tried three major we-carry-obscure-foreign-magazine newsstands, and didn't find it. Funny, the damn thing was everywhere before I got into LF.

--A

Scott Davis
30-Sep-2006, 20:03
dunno about south of 23rd, but some of those dodgy magazine shops around Times Square carry it, and there's one over on 2nd avenue near Grand Central that does. I think I've seen it on 7th Avenue South, near the West Village before.

BrianShaw
30-Sep-2006, 22:01
Still hasn't appeared in my mailbox. Boo hoo.

John Hannon
1-Oct-2006, 14:41
I got my first issue today. There is a very interesting Q&A article on staining developers with Sandy King, John Wimberley and Jay DeFehr.

I have never used this type of developer, but would like to try. The article answered many questions I had about it.

There is also a Ted Harris photo of the Richard Ritter/ Bruce Barlow team on page 39!

Nice issue overall. I look forward to the next one.

--John

steve simmons
2-Oct-2006, 05:47
Just got back last night about 9 from Photokina so my body is trying to catch up but let me respond to a couple of comments.

"Does anyone know where I can purchase an issue of this magazine in NYC south of 23rd Street? I want to read a couple issues to see if it's something I'm interested in. Tried three major we-carry-obscure-foreign-magazine newsstands, and didn't find it. Funny, the damn thing was everywhere before I got into LF."

If you don't find one call us at 800-894-8439 m-f 8-5 mountain time

We send out a notice that says Your Sub is Expiring about one issue before the end. If the notice says Your Sub has Expired either your last one is on the way or you have already received it. If someone calls and renews by phone we always tell them if they’ve missed an issue and frequently send them whatever they missed. Yes, I understand that Paypal does not ask if it is a new or renewal but we always check. The only time there is any confusion is when it is a renewal but now under a business name or a change to an individual.

If people have comments about the layout we are always willing to listen. There were some complaints about spreads across the gutter so in this issue there aren’t any.

Steve

Terence McDonagh
2-Oct-2006, 06:37
Does anyone know where I can purchase an issue of this magazine in NYC south of 23rd Street? I want to read a couple issues to see if it's something I'm interested in. Tried three major we-carry-obscure-foreign-magazine newsstands, and didn't find it. Funny, the damn thing was everywhere before I got into LF.

--A

There's a magazine store on the north side of 14th between 5th and 6th that usually has it. I can't remember the name of the place, but it has purple neon in the window and is a little west of the supermarket. The photo section is in the middle of the wall to the left.

Richard Kelham
2-Oct-2006, 11:25
I received mine via Robert White a couple of weeks ago – efficient as usual, but I don't get the password on the address label. It is a good issue content-wise and quality control-wise. Thanks Steve.

Now I have to think about whether to get the electronic version when my sub runs out....Hmmmm.

Richard

steve simmons
2-Oct-2006, 11:49
They should be sending the info with the issue, I am not sure why the did not do so. After the Nov/Dec 06 issue Mike Walker will be doing the distribution in the UK. He will give out the Sub section info when he sends out the issue and give more personal service. If you want to contact him please do so at

mike@walkercamera.com

his phone is 44 01244 881 755

When we do the electronic version will do calendar year subscriptions and give the subscribers the password for an entire year. We are also working out distributors in Germany, Italy, France, Austria so people in Europe will get more direct and personal service. We will post this info as soon as it is firmed up and in place

thanks

steve simmons

Doug Howk
2-Oct-2006, 14:42
I had let my subscription expire because of negative comments made by others (as well as finding too much digital in last years issues). I missed 1-2 issues but recently renewed; and this issue makes me glad I did. Good articles & the reproductions look good too. Now I'm looking forward to Louisville.

BrianShaw
2-Oct-2006, 17:22
thanks

steve simmons

Say, Steve... it's October and I haven't received my copy. Should I be worried... or continue being patient?

Brian

PViapiano
2-Oct-2006, 17:56
Not at Borders in LA yet...

steve simmons
2-Oct-2006, 18:06
If you don't have a copy yet call us at 800-894-8439 m-f 8-5 mountain time and we will fix the problem and check your sub

steve

Dirk Rösler
2-Oct-2006, 20:53
If people have comments about the layout we are always willing to listen.

I think you should get someone to give the presentation a total facelift to make it look more aestetically pleasing. At the moment it looks like produced in MS Word or art directed by someone who used Word too much. Get a pro designer (or if on a budget, get a graphic design student to do it as graduation project) and let them find a new layout structure with templates, variations of fixed arrangements of objects on the page, 2-3 nice typefaces and a guideline how to use all this together.

Use a spell-checker and get proofreaders, volunteers if you don't have the budget (reward them with something though), but should be proficient enough in the subject and motivated enough to spot errors (I noticed in the captions of the Three Gorges that a Super-Angulon 8/90 used in the other images turned into a 6/90 on one image, which seems like a mistake).

Some people may be totally laid back about typos etc. but it is the attention to detail, the last 5% in quality that are the hardest to achieve that make a good product a great product. Like everything, it comes down to good management to make that happen.

Bruce Barlow
3-Oct-2006, 08:05
There is also a Ted Harris photo of the Richard Ritter/ Bruce Barlow team on page 39!

--John

For the record, the team also must include Ted "Wrong Way" Harris. At least he was pointing the camera at us this time.

I'll let Ted explain himself, other than to say I'm richer because of his new nickname.

Also for the record, all kidding aside, we are thrilled and honored to have "Wrong Way" on our team!

Eric Rose
3-Oct-2006, 08:16
I find VC to be one of the best values in the photography magazine business. It's cheap (about the same price as a trip to Micky D's), it's readable, the photos are well reproduced and most of the time I can find something I can really use in it. It gets to Canada a bit later than you folks, but that's ok with me as I hear about all the cool stuff ahead of time and it just makes the arrival all that more exciting.

VC is what it is. I have come to appreciate it and support Steve 100%. I have kept all my old issues and find myself going back to them as a reference. You can't do this with your double latte, extra Yak cream foamy, gently stirred coffee beverage or your fat dripping double greasy patty fake condiments choke and puke burger and sugar laced fries. Cost wise these buying choices are about the same money as VC. So lets get off our high horses and put things into perspective.

As I said I support VC. I also support Lenswork and will take a very close look at the new Emulsion magazine. These people provide me with the products I appreciate at a fair price. If VC charged double it's current stand price I might have a different opinion about the cost/benefit relationship, but at it's current price I'm quite happy.

John Hannon
3-Oct-2006, 08:40
For the record, the team also must include Ted "Wrong Way" Harris. At least he was pointing the camera at us this time.

I'll let Ted explain himself, other than to say I'm richer because of his new nickname.

Also for the record, all kidding aside, we are thrilled and honored to have "Wrong Way" on our team!

How could I forget Ted? I left him out because he was playing with that fancy Fotoman camera... :)

I am happy with the View Camera issue -- Great stuff guys!

--John

Rider
3-Oct-2006, 09:12
A recent issue had an article on scanners for LF. It was a very disappointing article because there were no tests, no in-depth description of the products they looked, no big-picture observations about them, no expert advice, no questions answered, and as far as I could tell, no questions asked either. It wasn't even a good start or someone thinking about scanners.

Did I miss something? Like maybe an online continuation of the article?