PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Austria

Stewy
26-Sep-2006, 08:50
Hello from Austria,

Just surfd in this forum and want to say hello.
I always liked the analog photography so i began to look out for a small format system for about 6 years and landed for one year at a Mamyia RB67 shortly before i discovered the possibilities of a viewcamera. My favorite motives are all styles of architecture and landscapes and that was the main thing why I began to collect a LF equipment.

I began to look out for a large format equipment for about one year and still dont have all parts together but I am working on it. Only a proper head ist missing.
I got a Linhof Kardan 4x5" and am very happy with it.

wrfg Stewy

PS.: Excuse me if my English is not the best ;)

Ron Marshall
26-Sep-2006, 08:54
Hello Stewy, welcome to the forum. What lens do you have now for your camera?

Stewy
26-Sep-2006, 09:05
Hello,

A 210 Symmar and a 90 SuperAngulon. Second one is a bitold but does good work.
Wish a had one with more focal length.

wfg Stewy

Ron Marshall
26-Sep-2006, 09:09
That is a good start for focal lengths. Do you plan on getting a lens in between those two, or will those be enough for you?

Stewy
26-Sep-2006, 09:21
Hello,

Perhaps a lense with a focal length of about 120-150mm if a I get one with a Kardan or Technika plate and its not too expensive. Befor that i would prefer a really wid angel lense like a 75ngulon or shorte.
A lense with about 400-600 would be nice too but not so important.

wfg Stewy

merlo.luca1961@libero.it
26-Sep-2006, 11:03
Ciao,

I am an Italian photoamateur and live at 2 hours drive from the Austrian border. You are quite lucky since one of the best manufacturers of wood view cameras is also Austrian. As a matter of fact they are based at 25 minutes drive from Saltzburg. They are very nice people and they certainly can be of much help. In case you need to purchase lenses you can try the Leica Shop in Wien. Extremely knowledgble people (one of the best shops for Leica equipment in all Europe). If you check their site they have quite a good selection of view camera lenses. For materials you can contaxct Fotoimpex in Berlin. They are a very good source of films and papers that are not ready available in other places.

Good luck and get in touck !

Luca

Eric Biggerstaff
26-Sep-2006, 17:58
Welcome to the forum and have fun.

Capocheny
26-Sep-2006, 18:10
Greetings from Vancouver, BC in Canada... :)

Cheers

Ralph Barker
26-Sep-2006, 18:32
Welcome to the LF Forum, Stewy.

Stewy
27-Sep-2006, 06:22
Hello,

Thnx that I am so happy welcomed here in that forum.
@merlo.luca1961@libero.it: I am from Austria but never heared of a wooden made camera made in Austria. Can u or anybody else give me some information about that brand?

mfg Stewy

Eric Biggerstaff
27-Sep-2006, 07:25
Stewy,

The brand is Lotus adn they are beautiful.

The web site is http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/

Hope that helps.

Eric

Stewy
27-Sep-2006, 09:02
Ohh,

I already knew that brand befor but never looked on the domain ending to come on the idea that it´s made in Austria.
Yeah they make really nice cameras.
This would be one of the brands that I would buy beside an Ebony or if I don´t have anouth money a Shen Hao. But if I buy a new camera of any of these 3 brands I would like to get a 8x10 or bigger if I still can get films in my town because ordering it in the web would be generally to expensive for me and 8x10 is a normal standard format so far.
As Enlarger I got a 5x7 IFF with a really heavy cast iron foot and an old Schneider 210 enlarger lense.
http://www.livegreif.at/IFF/images/sturm_022.jpg
I dont have a lot of money and that´s why I wash my prints so far in a adapted aquarium and dry them in blotting paper.
I only have to find an easy methode to get the prints on the carton. I think cold bonding foild would be the easiest way but I have to find a better way to avoid bubbles.

wfg Stewy

Ole Tjugen
27-Sep-2006, 13:28
PS.: Excuse me if my English is not the best ;)

Hello Stewy,

I'm sure your English is better than my German!

Have you had a look at Argentum Camera (http://www.argentumcamera.com/) from Hungary? It looks like they can be a good alternative for low-cost lightweight 8x10's.

Stewy
28-Sep-2006, 06:21
Hello again,

@Ole Tjugen: Yeah i heard of that brand in hungary. I am also on a german viewcameaforum and there we have a big thread with nearly all actual brands that are still produced.
I think its a good alternative to a Shen Hao and it comes from Europe.

wfg Stewy

merlo.luca1961@libero.it
28-Sep-2006, 07:33
Ciao Stewy,

Eric from Colorado beat me on time with the reply. The Austrian company I was referring to is exactly Lotus. They are excellent people and they manufacture wonderful cameras but, as most of the times, the quality goes with the price ......

I wish to remind you that in Europe there are several manufacturers of very good films, papers and chemicals. Efke (Croatian) and Foma (Czech) are among them. For developing the negatives I use the excellent and inexpensive APH 09. It is the old formulation of the Agfa Rodinal and, according to someone, even better that this when developing sheet films. Once again, check the Fotoimpex site for prices of the above.

To LF lenses are currently more expensive than in the US but there are several good occasions in Austria and Germany (according to my experience in France and Italy they tend to be more expensive).

Check the German and Austrian ebay to get an idea about the current prices of the LF lenses.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Luca

Jim Ewins
28-Sep-2006, 15:33
Lotus View Camera is beautiful, great features and priced right. If only I knew before I bought my Wxxxxr. www.lotusviewcamera.at

Michael Daily
28-Sep-2006, 15:34
Hallo, Stewy!
What is the name of the German LF site? I am a former German teacher and would like to see what they do. Wie heisst diese Site? Ich bin ehemaliger Deutschlehrer und sehe gern was da gemacht ist.
Michael

Armin Seeholzer
28-Sep-2006, 16:12
Hallo Stewy and Michael
I know Stewy from thad side my nickname is Johnars sei herzlich gegrüsst hier ich kenne das Forum hier schon 4-5 Jahre!
Für Michael sollen wir ein bisschen den Deutsch frisch halten?
Hier der link: http://www.grossformatfotografie.de
Viel Spass, Armin

Michael Daily
28-Sep-2006, 18:09
Hallo Stewy and Michael
I know Stewy from thad side my nickname is Johnars sei herzlich gegrüsst hier ich kenne das Forum hier schon 4-5 Jahre!
Für Michael sollen wir ein bisschen den Deutsch frisch halten?
Hier der link: http://www.grossformatfotografie.de
Viel Spass, Armin

Hallo, Armin!
Beim Deutsch--ja, sicher! Sonst bekomme ich keine Uebung. Im Moment unterrichte ich nur Englisch...
Michael

Armin Seeholzer
29-Sep-2006, 02:15
Hallo Michael
Du wohnst in Marion ist das richtig?
Ich habe eine Deutsche Freundin die heisst Marion zum Vornamen die müsste ja da dann mal hin!
Wie gross ist das?
Liebe Grüsse, Armin aus der Schweiz

Stewy
29-Sep-2006, 06:28
Hello,

@Armin Seeholzer: Wusst ichs doch dass sicherlich wer von der deutschen Partie auch hier sein wird. Ich hoffe mal die paar deutschen Worte machen in dem Forum nix aus ;)
Ist sonst noch wer hier ausser dir von GFF.de?

@Michael Daily: Den Link kennst ja jetzt schon und der Nick ist der selbe!
Ich probiers eigendlich in allen Foren soweit wie möglich den gleichen Nick.

mfg Stewy

Armin Seeholzer
29-Sep-2006, 16:20
Hallo Stewy
Das wir uns kurz auf deutsch unterhalten, dürfte hier nicht ein Problem sein andere Sprachgruppen machen das auch ab und zu!
Remigius ist glaub auch ab und zu hier, sonst noch Arne Croell wobei den habe ich schon so ziemlich überall getroffen in Foren wos um Objektive geht!
Gruss Armin

alec4444
29-Sep-2006, 19:30
Might it be Lotus? They're in Austria. I don't have the link handy at the moment...

Welcome!

--A

Andrew O'Neill
30-Sep-2006, 06:14
hey! some of us can't speak German...