PDA

View Full Version : Thickenss of the ground glass?

SAShruby
25-Sep-2006, 08:56
Hi Folks,

Last couple months I am working on the small project to manufacture a gridded ground glass. The project is at the end of testing phase and results are awesome. The sizes I will offer at the beginning would be 4x5, 4x10, 5x7, 8x10, 7x17 and 8x20. There will be two options to choose type of glass. Cheaper version will be acid etched 1/8 inch thick regular glass. The other choice will be optical glass.

Manufacturer has the option to produce any thickens I would specify. So, question is what is the optimal thickness for sizes I mentioned above? Also, please state your preference of corner trimming size in the poll. It would help me to minimize costs as well which would reflect the final price.

Thanks for the input.

Ralph Barker
25-Sep-2006, 10:30
In addition to standard and optical glass, how about offering light-amplifying glass, so we can shoot in the dark? ;)

Seriously, what is the advantage of using optical glass for a GG?

SAShruby
25-Sep-2006, 11:17
Hi Ralph,

Regular soda lime glass 1/8 (2mm) inch thick has 84-86% light transmission, optical glass 3/32 (1.5mm) inch thick has 92 - 94% light transmission due to low refraction. Therefore the picture on the ground glass will be brighter on optical glass.

Light enhancing glass would be fantastic, I agree.:)

Ralph Barker
25-Sep-2006, 17:38
Thanks for the extra info, Peter. Makes sense to spend a bit more for the extra transmission.

Renee Galang
26-Sep-2006, 02:58
how about optical glass for 11x14?

SAShruby
26-Sep-2006, 05:53
Hi Renee,

11x14 would be available as well. I do apologize to 11x14 LF'ers I didn't mention you guys. My intention is to offer all standard sizes of the ground glass.

I am building a website to offer all information. The estimate is beginning of December 2006. At least you can tell your wifes and girlfriends, what do you want for Christmass...;)

Jan Pedersen
26-Sep-2006, 07:35
Peter,
Any idea about pricing for optical glass yet?

jan

SAShruby
26-Sep-2006, 08:40
Hi Jan,

It depends what size and quantity you want. I am dealing directly with manufacturer so price is quite promising. I think you will be surprised when I post it on the website.

Also, there will be an option to coat grid without purchasing the glass. If you want to apply on glass you use it now, no problem. I can say that grid will be transparrent and schratch free, so you will be able to clean it without damaging the grid. The color is blue, black and clear.

Peter.

Donald Brewster
26-Sep-2006, 09:17
I have no idea, but whatever the Deardorff clip is.

SAShruby
26-Sep-2006, 09:59
Hi Donald,

8x10 original Deardorff glass has 1/2 inch clip.

Peter.

Capocheny
26-Sep-2006, 13:06
Peter,

I'd be keen on both 5x7 and 8x10 optical glass versions with 1/2 inch clipped corners...

Have you had the opportunity of trying a sample out on a camera yet?

Sounds interesting!

Need any testers? :)

Cheers

SAShruby
27-Sep-2006, 06:22
Yes,

I tested it on my Deardorff and it looks great. There will be few modifications based on the test result, but it looks awesome. Still, I need to know what thickness of the glass I should order. I have 1mm glass sample, but it looks quite thin to me. Especially for larger sizes. I think I would choose between 1.25 or 1.5mm glass.