PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Epson scanning software, 4990

Harley Goldman
22-Sep-2006, 20:10
I have been trying to use Epson scan with my 4990. No matter what bit choice (48 or 24) or dpi (2400 down to 150), after the pre-scan, the software tells me I have insufficient ram to scan. Epson scan is the only software open. I have 2gb of ram.

I deleted the software and reinstalled. I also downloaded the latest driver from Epson and installed that. Same problem every time.

I can use Silverfast SE and scan at 2400 dpi, yielding 250mb files. I also have used the same machine with a 4870, scanning at 2400 and 48 bit (500mb files) and had no problems. Something is wrong with the Epson software or a setting in there.

Any ideas? Any input would be much appreciated.

Jim Ewins
22-Sep-2006, 21:53
I've been scanning from Photoshop (import) with no problems on my 4990

Mark Stahlke
22-Sep-2006, 23:09
I have experienced this problem with Epson scan and my 4990 when I was trying to scan through Photoshop using the TWAIN driver. At the time, I had 2GB of memory and allocated 70% of it to Photoshop. I was able to avoid the problem by running Epson scan as a stand-alone program, save the file as a TIFF, and then open it in Photoshop. Another option is to reduce the amount of memory allocated to Photoshop.

If you are already running Epson scan stand-alone and not scanning through Photoshop, then the only suggestion I can offer is to try turning off ICE, grain reduction, and so on.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Harley Goldman
23-Sep-2006, 07:03
I have tried it both using the Twain driver and as a stand alone with everything on my computer closed except Epson scan. I get the same message in both cases. Everything is turned off. I don't like using any of the features such as ICE, etc.

Reggie99
23-Sep-2006, 07:32
What operating system are you on? Also, might be worth doing an uninstall/reinstall if you haven't tried that yet. Check Epson's site for updates, too.

Harley Goldman
23-Sep-2006, 08:17
I am using XP Pro. Prior to posting this, I did the uninstall and reinstall and am still having the same problem.

Brian Ellis
23-Sep-2006, 10:22
I tried the Epson software when I first got my 4990 and it worked fine with CS2 and XP. From all you've said I think you've just got one of those unexplainable computer glitches where one thing is incompatible with another thing but that would take an inordinate amount of time (not to mention expertise) to solve. I realize it's aggravating but Silverfast AE is IMHO better than the Epson software so I'd just use it and forget about the Epson.

Brian Ellis
23-Sep-2006, 10:24
I meant Silverfast AE, not SE.

Jack Flesher
23-Sep-2006, 17:57
Harley:

Here is one thought -- a long shot though. Do you have another scanner attached to your system? If so, try disconnecting it and re-booting.

XP only allows one instance of winscan open at a time. If you have another scanning device attached to your computer it can keep a second scanner from operating properly.

And FWIW, an "all-in-one" printer, copier fax is a scanner to XP and takes up that lone winscan tag.

Harley Goldman
23-Sep-2006, 19:58
Jack,

Thanks for the idea, but no other scanner. Just a laser printer. I have emailed Epson tech support and I am curious to hear what they have to say. I typically don't have a lot of confidence in tech support for anything out of the ordinary.

Brian Vuillemenot
23-Sep-2006, 20:53
Hi Harley,

I had exactly the same problem with my 4990. I was scanning two 4X5s in the film holder with the preview in "thumbnail" mode, and I kept getting the message that I had insufficient RAM, even though I had plenty. After spending over an hour on the phone with the Epson customer service rep, we figured out that if you select "normal" rather than "thumbnail" on the preview menu it works fine. The epson rep thought that it was just some sort of glitch in the software. Hope this helps!