PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F1/2 question

AnselAdamsX
21-Sep-2006, 16:25
With the standard bellows and a flat lensboard how much rise is available with a 90mm lens focused at infinity?

Thanks
Chris

David A. Goldfarb
21-Sep-2006, 17:51
More than the image circle of the lens, most likely, since you've got lots of front rise, plus rear fall, plus the option of indirect rise by tilting the camera up and re-leveling the front and rear standards, and the standard bellows isn't too compressed with a 90mm lens.

That said, bag bellows are quite easy to come by for Sinar, and it also may depend partially on the lens, since some modern 90mm and wider lenses may be slight retrofocus designs. Depending on what you shoot, you may find it more useful to have only a bag bellows (which extends to around 10 inches) than the standard bellows.

Mark Sampson
22-Sep-2006, 04:38
You'll want to have the bag bellows with a 90mm lens. The standard bellows won't let you do many movements- it's pretty compressed. The bag bellows will let you use enough direct shifts to go beyond the coverage of any 90mm.

Remigius
22-Sep-2006, 05:16
I'll second that. I've once tried the std bellows with a Nikon 90mm f4.5 and got not more than about 1" rise. This is independent of wether you use direct or indirect movements, because the bellows has to be shifted by the same amount in both situations. If I focus close to infinity (i.e. for most outdoor work), I work with the bag bellows with focal lengths up to at least 210mm without problems.

Ron Marshall
22-Sep-2006, 08:28
Get the bag bellows, there are two types, the regular and a double folded one to allow extreme movements (not necessary).

I have seen them go recently on Ebay for $40.

Photomax
22-Sep-2006, 09:45
Another vote for the Sinar bag bellows: I have used mine with the 65, 90, and 210. Works great...

Max