PDA

View Full Version : 8 by 10 film??

gregfriedler
18-Sep-2006, 12:17
HI everyone

I am new to the forum. I am tempted to buy an 8by10 but have heard that they will STOP making 8by10 film?? IS this true? I live in the United States, will i be able to get film??

Thanks much

GREG FRIEDLER

Ron Marshall
18-Sep-2006, 12:29
Welcome to the forum Greg.

I have not heard of any plans to discontinue 8x10 by any film manufacturer.

Here is the film page at Badger Graphics:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=156

Capocheny
18-Sep-2006, 21:50
Hi Greg,

Go ahead and buy the 8x10... there's plenty of film available!

Cheers

John Kasaian
19-Sep-2006, 12:15
Theres plenty of 8x10. J and C, Freestyle, B&H and plenty of other places will be happy to sell you all the 8x10 you'd care to buy. Of course if you don't live in a major, make that MAJOR metropolitan area its unlikely that you'll find it on the shelves at your local camera store. For me its a mail order proposition. Sheet film is manufactured in the US, UK and lots of other countries. While one manufacturer might discontinue cutting 8x10, that would only increase the market share and profits for the rest of the manufacturers.

While I can't support it with statistics, I think probably more people are shooting 8x10 now than any time in the past 50(?) years anyway. There are certainly more varieties of 8x10 film available now than when I started with the format almost 10 years ago, though there probably isn't the quantity of film being shot because of the big catalog houses switching to digital---this isn't a bad thing however. I think the market for 8x10 is "settling in" as the niche market it will remain for some time to come.

Buy the 8x10---its a heck of a lot of fun!

steve simmons
19-Sep-2006, 12:23
Go to

www.viewcamera.com

and then to Free Articles. It will list the sheet films available. There is more than you will ever use or want

steve simmons

Michael Daily
19-Sep-2006, 14:48
Go for 8x10--if the film were to stop, there will be paper--just like in the good old days. Seriously, the reports of the death of 8x10 film are greatly exaggerated...
Michael

tim atherton
28-Sep-2006, 16:56
Go to

www.viewcamera.com

and then to Free Articles. It will list the sheet films available. There is more than you will ever use or want

steve simmons

The 5x7 list is already out of date is it not? How fast these things change

Andrew O'Neill
28-Sep-2006, 22:22
have heard that they will STOP making 8by10 film??

and who did you hear that from? The idiot behind the counter selling digital cameras? There are more choices of 8x10 film than ever before! Buy the 8x10 and go nuts!
...and welcome to the forum!

Rory_5244
28-Sep-2006, 22:33
Buh excuse me! I live in a Third World country and I am happily using Fuji Velvia 8x10 film. If I can get it, ANYBODY can get it! (Badger Graphic)