PDA

View Full Version : Sweaty changing bags and loading film! LOL

tonepixs
18-Sep-2006, 05:45
While loading film into various film holders on a particulary hot day using a changing bag.
And trying to rush as the temperture inside the bag was good enough to fry eggs!

I loaded one of the sheets back to front-I always check before I close the flap and insert the DS .. So when I realised my mistake I tried to lift the edge of the sheet up with my finger nail, only to find the emulsion had become slightly damp from the sweat that was beginning to run rivers along my fingers, and drop or two must have run onto the emulsion with enough to adhere itself to the base of the film holder!

Yes I couldn't help I let lose with a few chosen words of exactly how I felt about this!
B**s**r* W*%k %e*k Yeh probably added a few more as I then tried to remove myself from said changing bag! It felt as if it had tightened its grip around my arms and was refusing to release me-All the time the tempereture was becoming hotter and the sweat was increasing tenfold-I begun to seriously consider damage control.

And try and save the rest of the unexposed film in the box which was now closed and sealed, but probably under attack from the flowing river of sweat now along my arms and the tops of my hands and fingers!

So I checked again that the film box was light tight, as well as the other film holders there were 3 others as to this one in question, this blighter would have to be unstuck so I decided to do in fresh clear air. And without the temperture at boiling point in some sweaty boil in the bag that really was only just adequate to load my 5x7 sheets!

Finally I managed to free my self of this sweat inducing monster, with a huge relief akin to reaching the surface after rolling in a Kayak and staying under for couple of minutes, then looking down at the rolling rivers of moisture along my arms and on the top of my hands and fingers. Imagine my surprise and then discontent when opening the DS to try and release this sheet of stuck down "I'm not moving git/film"

I noticed it was taking the black painted surface off with as I tried harder to release it!

More S**t* B**s***d
f^^* W***s spoken in furious tones!

So now I'm faced with taking a chance and loading film into this holder again.
As there are now missing patches of black and the silver backing is showing though, near to the end flap I'm now wondering whether this'll cause any flare.

In theory hopefully they shouldn,t as the flap'll should block any light bound around from any malfunctions once the lens is opened .. ?

or do I retouch these areas with a spot of black enamel and spotting brush ..
Before loading film into it .. ?

Not to be a kill joy on the LOL community out there .. I rarely eat fried food or Big Mac Gunge my chrolestrol count is "normal for youngish male and my height and body fat, and it wasn't the aftermath of a boozy weekend .. Pity would had something to aim it at!

Other than that if you've something enlighting or seminally LOL ..
I'm all ears-Just run out of moisture for the time being!

Glenn Thoreson
19-Sep-2006, 12:37
I hate those bags! I hear the tents are better but they're too expensive for my taste.

Capocheny
19-Sep-2006, 14:59
Sounds like you had a GREAT time! :)

I've always disliked using those bags but if it's the only option you have... you've got to do what you've gotta do. Personally, I'll take a dark closet ANY day of the week.

I use to use one for 4x5 and that was difficult enough as it was... I can only imagine 5x7 would be an even BIGGER pita!

With regards to the missing patches of black... you'll probably be okay with it but I woud certainly suggest you waste a sheet of film to make absolutely certain. That's what I would do if I were in your shoes.

But, thanks for the comic relief! :)

Cheers

Carsten Wolff
19-Sep-2006, 15:27
Although I'm glad I have one of those bags, I share your feelings, "tonepixs". Go with Capocheny's advice for peace of mind....
I found that my bag is a bit marginal in size, esp. for 5x7, so I've made it into a makeshift tent with two crossed-over and arched coathanger wires to get a bit more working space in there. I also bent over the ends of the wires and taped them; as the last drama to add would be pinholes in the changing bag, but they're not the sine plus ultra either....hmm, may be a big sheet of cardboard would be better (you can tell: I'm too tight to buy a proper tent). :)

Amund BLix Aaeng
19-Sep-2006, 16:15
My Harrison changing tent is maybe the single best investment I`ve ever done. Worth each and every cent for sure! I will never use a bag again.

bartf
19-Sep-2006, 22:59
You can jury rig a tent with binder clips and some coathanger wire, just be careful of the sharp ends when you unfold the coathanger

Ron McElroy
20-Sep-2006, 16:42
I have one of those tee shirt shaped changing bags. I made an internal frame to hold it open out of 1/2inch PCV pipe. It works OK for 4x5, but i do have to limit the number of holders because the heat does build up quick inside.

tonepixs
21-Sep-2006, 05:01
I like the idea of rigging support system up to turn the bag into a tent.

Though at the moment I'm feeling that its either me or the bag gonna have its last moments!

As phase two of attack of the bag began last weekend... I needed to unwrap a box of Fiber paper and as I was no where near a "dark closet" hehe loving yer work..
I had no choice but to do this in the dreaded bag..Its akin to falling off a horse or bike...Or woman you just gotta get back on again..That is if she'll let you!

Anyway 321 back in the room I managed to release the sealed edges and take a sheet of 12 x 9 half inches.. Pretty impressive hah :D

But would you believe it- I couldn't f**kin sh**e The sides of the box collapsed thus leaving the paper to be possibly fogged!!!!

So I had to leave the "box" of paper inside the bag grrr lots of snarls and nashing of expensive dental work... overnight and a couple of days more until I could get to the nearest lab, where they very kindly let me use the darkrom to try and repack it all!

I also took the opportunity to load a few sheets of 5x7 while in there, and gotta say it was sheer bliss not to lose half my body weight in sweat while doing so!

I had managed to tape up the sides of the box but still didn't feel 100% sure it would retain light tightness.. ? I placed it and the film holders, box of film into the satchell I was carrying it all + ideas & note A4 pads and other work space neccessities. And hoped it would be okay until I returned later to store it, as I had numerous meetings and needed to take my note pads out of the satchell I devised a more controlled aproach to this, by doing so in the gents loo and and in 1 studio while leaning into a metal cabinet .. :D

It did produce a few LOL moments and helped to break the ice a bit.
Especially as 1 very serious faced model from Poland who seemed more interested in how much she could earn if I sold the images to a magazine, than how much she was going to cough up for her portfolio (She'd approached me on this)

The weight of carrying all this around sunny old Brighton in East Sussex yesterday.
Felt heavier than the 10x8 mono rail I used to take a part and lug around!

The outcome today is my back and knees feel as if I've completed a strong man challenge so much so I might even have to enquire of the services of a sherpa for my next "trip!

Ahh the added bonus of getting old " wisdom,serentiy money in the bank-Hah!
More like old bones make for painful yelps!

I need a new bod any1 with a healthy hardly run in super shell looking to donate to good causes I will promise to run it in gently and take good care of it.. As I've done so with my current 1.. ahem cough cough nose twitch Okay there was an extended period of excessive use in my youth and a bit more but hey live a lot you never know if you get another chance so grab it all now while theres a pulse!

PPS Also thinking of trading the misses we'll just not.. we'll just not..well you know getting it on anymore.. will possibly trade for younger version in the of line a Betty Paige Sophia Loren or Angeleana Joliie...Will accept Kate Moss versions for stops gaps with nothing better to do moments!

Serious contributors pls accept my humblest bowings downs.. Just thought I'd lighthen the day..