PDA

View Full Version : New to LF

dferrier
17-Sep-2006, 20:30
I am trying to mount a 120 film back to my 4x5 but cannot figure out how these things are supposed to be mounted. Do I need to remove my gg in order to get this mounted?

And the lensboard if the recessed type and I have a 90 mm lens mounted but my release cable will not fit on the release because it is below the recess. Is there an adaptor or something that will allow me to thread my release onto the side of the lens?

Steve Barber
17-Sep-2006, 20:56
This is one of those times when a picture would be worth a thousand words, but you need to give more infomation about what you have. What camera, type of back and what or which 120 roll film adaptor? In any event, yes, the ground glass needs to be removed or swung out of the way.

Steve Barber
17-Sep-2006, 21:05
Have you looked here? <http://www.graflex.org/>

Brian Ellis
17-Sep-2006, 23:22
"In any event, yes, the ground glass needs to be removed or swung out of the way"

Not necessarily. Some roll film holders slip under a spring back just like a normal film holder. He needs to tell us what camera he has and what rolll film holder he has before any meaningful advice can be given.

"Is there an adaptor or something that will allow me to thread my release onto the side of the lens?"

Yes, if I understand your problem correctly you need a flexible attachment that goes between your cable release and the shutter. You can buy them for about $10 at MidWest Photo Exchange (www.mpx.com). There are several different brands, one is made by Gepe IIRC.

Eric James
17-Sep-2006, 23:28
Try www.mpex.com :)

dferrier
18-Sep-2006, 05:19
Sorry Brian, I didn't say did I?

I have a Cambo model SC 4x5 with a 90mm compur lens and a bag bellows. The gg has a spring loaded lever that when pulled up will stay perpindicular to the gg lifting it off the back of the camera while putting in a film holder. I may be able to upclip this in some manner and mount the 120 back. As far as the 120 back, I am not sure what the brand is, there is really no markings that I can remember at the moment. I am at work and do not have it in front of me. It is just a plain black plate with the proper size hole with a roller mechanism covered by a plastic housing. The inside that holds the role of film can be lifted out and replaced if desired. I actually have 3 of these, one has a bright red winding lever, the other 2 have plain blck winding knobs. All three have a frame counter from 1 to 8 and then S for start I guess.

I have literally owned this camera for like 3 days and have no idea how to set it up or use it. (bet you guys love hearing that eh?) So forgive me if I am asking pretty boneheaded questions. I actually have a complete outfit that I got at a camera show over the weekend. I *think* I have everything I need to get this up and running. Now I do know about tripods and basic exposure etc... what I mean is in reference to the actual usage of a large view camera.

I do have a question about gg brightness though. I have read that a fresnel lens improves brightness considerably (got that from kenrockwell.com). You might want to check this out:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/tachihara.htm
quote of interest:
"I got a fresnel screen at an office supply store for $2.00 which I drop over the glass when I need it. It was sold as a "sheet magnifier!"

I thought that was interesting. Will what Ken says above work? Could I just drop a fresnel lens over the gg and get a brighter image or would it go in front of the gg (inside)? Or would I need a clear glass pane with a fresnel on top of that?

"In any event, yes, the ground glass needs to be removed or swung out of the way"

Not necessarily. Some roll film holders slip under a spring back just like a normal film holder. He needs to tell us what camera he has and what rolll film holder he has before any meaningful advice can be given.

"Is there an adaptor or something that will allow me to thread my release onto the side of the lens?"

Yes, if I understand your problem correctly you need a flexible attachment that goes between your cable release and the shutter. You can buy them for about $10 at MidWest Photo Exchange (www.mpx.com). There are several different brands, one is made by Gepe IIRC.