PDA

View Full Version : Builing a 7x17 camera

brian steinberger
17-Sep-2006, 20:16
I'm looking to build a 7x17 ULF camera. I'm wondering where I can find any info and or books on this project. Also, I'd like some info from people who have actually built their own ULF cameras. And where they found their information. Thanks!

Brian

David G. Gagnon
18-Sep-2006, 00:27
Brian,

I don't know if you've seen this yet or not, but it's quite interesting. You may be able to glean some ideas from this camera project.

http://www.jbhphoto.com/vcam/vcams.htm

There are many pictures that they took along the way, showing the project from start to finish. It's a vertical banquet camera, but the ideas will be the same.

Good luck with your project.

DG

Geert
18-Sep-2006, 03:40
And here is mine:

http://sheetfilm.be/cams/7x17web/

Greetings,
G

RichardRitter
18-Sep-2006, 06:27
First ask your self this question where would I rather be in the shop working or in the field photographing? The reason for this question is building a camera of this size is a lot of work. You will also need a lot of specialized tools. Above all a lot of time and a good wood stove. More pieces of wood are going to end up in the wood stove. I’ve burned whole cameras already.

As you can see from the above link this person had a lot of time involved in designing his camera and building it. He also copied a camera, which helped shorten the time involved. There are no book and only so so web sites on building a camera. The shame of it is every one is just coping a Deardorff with modifications and carrying over some of the problems it has.

Believe me it is an undertaking to do it right. I have design over 10 cameras and various other photography equipment. To this add 2 file boxes filled with designs of cameras and related equipment that only made it to paper. If I didn’t do this for a living and the enjoyment of it, I would probably buy a camera and just go photographing. Knowing what it takes to design and build a camera.

Richard T Ritter
www.finefocusworkshops.com

GPS
18-Sep-2006, 06:51
First of all, if you want to build a camera, don't ask other people to build it for you with their ideas and their info. You yourself must have the ideas - otherwise, without ideas, how do you want to build it??

wfwhitaker
18-Sep-2006, 07:10
Brian,

I don't want to be one to dampen your enthusiasm, but Richard's comment is right on the mark. My own experience has borne it out. Evaluate your own objectives closely and decide if you want to spend your time in the shop or making photographs. And plan carefully because it's entirely possible to spend more money on the project than what a used camera would cost to buy, especially if you have to buy any tooling.

Having said that, you're best education is to study other people's designs. A lot can be learned that way. If you're anxious to get your hands dirty, one option may be to find a camera to restore. Even if it's a not 7x17, the experience will get you "inside" the design. The knowledge you gain can be applied to a different format should you decide to continue on and build your own.

brian steinberger
18-Sep-2006, 07:18
These are great replies. I didn't know if it was too much for me to handle or not. My uncle is a woodworker, and he would be able to help me and certainly has the tooling. But you're right, I'd lose time photographing and also time in the darkroom printing. So I'll think about it some more. Any recommendations on a place to buy ULF cameras?

wfwhitaker
18-Sep-2006, 07:23
Any recommendations on a place to buy ULF cameras?
What are you looking for specifically?

Bruce Barlow
18-Sep-2006, 10:30
Any recommendations on a place to buy ULF cameras?[/QUOTE]

http://www.lg4mat.net/

You'll note that Richard didn't include his site's address in responding to your building post, so he wasn't trying to connive you into buying one of his cameras instead of building your own. He's a class guy.

I'll put in a plug for his camera, though. Superbly engineered and light weight. Inexpensive compared to alternatives. Fits standard film holders. You might take a long look.

All best,

brian steinberger
18-Sep-2006, 11:01
Will,

I'd be interested in a 7x17 or maybe something smaller. The thing is, I would want it to be a popular size so that film will always be available. I like the idea of the panoramic format.

John Powers
19-Sep-2006, 04:34
Brian,

I don't know if you've seen this yet or not, but it's quite interesting. You may be able to glean some ideas from this camera project.

http://www.jbhphoto.com/vcam/vcams.htm

There are many pictures that they took along the way, showing the project from start to finish. It's a vertical banquet camera, but the ideas will be the same.

Good luck with your project.

DG

J.B. & Susan Harlin had a session on building your own camera at this year's View Camera Conference. They are delightful and charming people as well as wonderfully talented. JB said that he came to this project having worked for a company that made custom models of new products that could be used for prototype testing. Imagine for a moment what that must entail and the skills involved.

JB went on to say that he took a year off to design and build the two cameras. They are absolutely wonderful, beautiful to the point of being a work of art in themselves. I personally can only admire.

Will "wfwhitaker" and I bought what we feel is the best camera around at the time prior to Richard’s offering. There were only 15 or 16 RH Phillips 7x17s made so finding one may be as hard as building one. Forgive me for putting words in your mouth Will.

Today Richard is beginning to produce what looks like a very good camera. If I could afford a third view camera beyond this and my 8x10, Richard is the route I would take.

John

wfwhitaker
19-Sep-2006, 18:07
I still think the Phillips is the best camera around. :)

John Powers
20-Sep-2006, 06:48
I still think the Phillips is the best camera around. :)

On the level I agree with you, but toss that 7x17 up on its side and Richard's begins to look very attractive to me.

Can't afford or carry a larger one and keep these, so for me it will have to remain just talk.

John

Paul Fitzgerald
24-Sep-2006, 08:40
Brian,

Shen-Hao 5x12 (http://www.shen-hao.com/E57512.html)

Might be worth looking at for smaller pano format.

Shen-Hao home page (http://www.shen-hao.com/main.htm)

and click on 'newest' at the top right for the 7x17. I'm sure that there are dozens of cameras to look at, they all have their strong points and drawbacks.

Have fun with the hunt.

Carsten Wolff
26-Sep-2006, 15:29
Brian, stating the obvious perhaps, but 4x10 is having a bit of a renaissance.
I'm sure you're thinking about by what method you're intending of achieving your prints already, too.

Michael Daily
26-Sep-2006, 16:08
4x10 can be had with a splitter from an 8x10. 5x8 and 4x5, also. For a cheaper way to get there, and 8x10 film will always be available. Perhaps not as snazzy as a 7x17, but perhaps more practical, flexible, reasonable...
Michael

John Powers
26-Sep-2006, 17:31
4x10 can be had with a splitter from an 8x10. 5x8 and 4x5, also. For a cheaper way to get there, and 8x10 film will always be available. Perhaps not as snazzy as a 7x17, but perhaps more practical, flexible, reasonable...
Michael

Michael,

When did we start using "reasonable", "LF" and "ULF" in the same sentence?

Kerry wrote an interesting article in View Camera discussing some of the limitations of shooting 4x10 on an 8x10 camera. I have an 8x10 enlarger and did try using the splitter on my 8x10 camera for a while, but was not happy.

John