PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the mountains of Colorado

al olson
16-Sep-2006, 20:56
Hi All,

Just discovered this site the other day while I was prowling around the internet. I think it is great to bring together the community of LF users. Until now I have been relying on View Camera to keep me up-to-date in LF techniques and equipment.

Years ago, from 1958 to 1961, I did journalism work with recently introduced 4x5 Super Graphic. Traded it in on a Nikon a year later when I was drafted into the Army and regretted it for years. Five years ago I found a Toyo Super Graphic (Toyo had purchased the camera operation from Graflex) built in the mid 70s. It is just like my original Super Graphic except that I am told the screws were now metric. I found 90mm and 10" lenses on ebay complete with cams. This makes for a nice light weight field camera. The limitation is that there are no back movements.

Then I found a Linhof Color rail camera and then bought a Technika IV and have 2 90 mm, 135mm, 150mm, 210mm and 240mm Schneider lenses for them. Although the optics are great, these lenses are out of the 60s and are not multicoated so it is very easy to ruin the image with flare.

I also have a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Super Technica with 65mm, 105mm, and 180mm lenses and original cams and a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 early Speed Graphic. It is a shame that Ilford discontinued the HP5 sheet film for these cameras. I am contemplating putting these cameras up for sale on ebay.

In addition I have a Calumet Orbit, 8x10 with a 360mm f/5.6 lens that I mainly shoot transparency film. The tripod, camera, and lens are so heavy that I seldom take them out in the field. I also work with a Bronica SQ A and several 35mm cameras.

Other than the 8x10 and 35mm color infrared transparency films, I work mainly with negative films. I have a darkroom with a Beseler enlarger and a Vivitar enlarger with a Jobo CPP-2 and a DOMAC roller print processor.

I am going back to emphasizing black and white because people will buy the b&w fine art prints but they seldom buy anything in color.

I am a retired mathematician who has worked with computers since they were built with vacuum tubes (1960). I am enjoying life in southwestern Colorado. My primary interests are infrared photography and night photography. I have participated in several of the exhibits on www.thenocturnes.com. You can check out my images on my web site at www.photo-artiste.com. Several of the photos were made with the Linhof including the night photos of Ouray and Silverton.

I would be interested in making contact with any members who are using the Maco infrared film. Also would like to know the preferred developers and development time. Maco's data sheets are not very accurate or revealing.

30 for now.

al

roteague
16-Sep-2006, 22:13
Hi Al from Hawaii. Good to hear from you, I'm an old Colorado guy myself (I grew up in Colo Sprgs), but left there about 12 years ago.

Brian Ellis
17-Sep-2006, 13:30
"I am going back to emphasizing black and white because people will buy the b&w fine art prints but they seldom buy anything in color"

Thanks for the introduction and welcome to the group. I was interested in the above statement because it's the opposite of everything I've ever heard or experienced (though my experience with print sales in any form is unfortunately limited). There's a saying among at least some photographers to the effect that black and white prints win the awards and color prints sell. So I'm just curious - to whom are you marketing your work and how are you marketing it?

roteague
17-Sep-2006, 13:32
I was interested in the above statement because it's the opposite of everything I've ever heard or experienced (though my experience with print sales in any form is unfortunately limited). There's a saying among at least some photographers to the effect that black and white prints win the awards and color prints sell.

That has always been my impression as well.

al olson
18-Sep-2006, 05:43
My experience is that in recent years b&w has become more acceptable as "fine art" photography. Over the course of a year I don't sell too many images. My sales have been at art shows and all of the recent sales have been in b&w infrared which produces a more dramatic image. In the past 3 months I have sold 4 prints at two different art shows for a market total of $1300.

The difficulty is finding art shows throughout the year within driving distance of Pagosa Springs. Going distances where you have an overnight stay to attend an opening absorb any income you may make from the sale. Only if you have friends in the area with a welcome room is it feasible.

I have a web site at www.photo-artiste.com that is a feeble attempt to market online. I am working out contacts with several galleries so we will see how that works out.

Har kul! (have fun)
al

roteague
18-Sep-2006, 15:36
The difficulty is finding art shows throughout the year within driving distance of Pagosa Springs. Going distances where you have an overnight stay to attend an opening absorb any income you may make from the sale. Only if you have friends in the area with a welcome room is it feasible.

I suspect you aren't going to find much in that part of the state. I know one fellow, on APUG, Dave Travis that does art shows from Castle Rock - which is a bit far to drive if you live in Pagosa Springs (especially in the winter), but he seems to do well selling primarily color. I think Denver/Colo Springs is where the big market would be.

Andrew O'Neill
18-Sep-2006, 20:26
Welcome back to the world of LF!

Bob Gentile
19-Sep-2006, 21:59
Welcome. I also used to live in Colorado -- in a small town called Howard. West of Canon City... East of Salida... aw, I forgot how much I loved Colorado!