PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Projector

Chris Bitmead
7-May-1998, 06:04
What large format projectors are available?

I know about the Noblex one mentioned here (Http://www.cameras-scanners-flaar .org/html/Noble_4x5_slide_projector.html) but I was wondering if there are any others, or else if anyone knows anything about the Noblex (like the pric e :-)

Michael Cheetham
7-May-1998, 11:36
B&H lists the Noblux at around $3000 w/280mm f/4 lens (website listing is under Medium format projectors). I've never seen any others, but I haven't been looki ng too hard!

Mani Sitaraman
8-May-1998, 00:54
Noblex make a 4x5 projector. You may wish to check Http://www.cameras-scanners-flaar.org/html/Noble_4x5_slide_projector.html and related links.

I have read that movie sets use back projection of 8x10 transparencies (2001-A s pace odyssey famously used these, for all the primate background scenes, which w ere shot in South Africa), so there must be 8x10 projectors around, though they may be custom made. I expect stock items must be hideously expensive.

Alan Gibson
8-May-1998, 14:35
For a very cheap large format projector, use an overhead projector. For better q uality, replace the lens.

Chris Bitmead
8-May-1998, 14:48
Good answer!

Which lens to replace? You mean the lens in the top bit? How would you get a lens that fits those optical requirements? By buying a very good quality overhead projector perhaps???

Ron Shaw
11-May-1998, 14:56
I think an overhead projector would have too much distortion to use as a LF proj ector (unless you are not very picky about image quality).

Alan Gibson
22-May-1998, 19:52
Sure, the quality may not be adequate for the task, it depends what the task is. Different OHP units will have different shortcomings, but obvious problems will be uneven illumination, and less-than-ideal lenses, yes, the one near the mirro r that actually focuses the film on the screen. This lens is likely to be of lar ge aperture, but may suffer from chromatic abberation, among other problems. It could be replaced with a modern camera or enlarging lens, but these are likely t o be small apertures. You might be able to find an old large-format aerial lens in a junk shop.

Sure, I wouldn't suggest that Lucasfilms use this for back-projection on their n ext Star Wars episode, but for those of us on a more modest budget, ...