PDA

View Full Version : type 55 as negative film

Mark Sampson
15-Sep-2006, 06:50
I found some old Polaroid T-55 film. (It was in an disused camera case in my attic for a year or so.) I'm sure the instant part is no good but the negative film might be ok. Does anyone have processing recommendations for this film developed conventionally? (I'm assuming it's around EI 32.)

Walter Calahan
15-Sep-2006, 07:39
If it's about a year old, try iso 25 or lower. Over develop with the original developer for an added minute or so.

You might get some cool chemical solarization.

There are photographers who buy this stuff and keep it long just to get the solarization look.

As always, don't take my word, test it before.

Jim MacKenzie
15-Sep-2006, 08:23
The common belief on the Internet is that this film is very similar to Kodak Panatomic-X, so that would be a good starting point for your processing experiments. I'm just repeating what I've read, though, so don't sue me if it doesn't work out. :)

Ted Harris
16-Sep-2006, 06:36
Whatever you do .... do not, repeat, do not try to process it in the holder. The chemicals in the pod have a high liklihood of not functioning properly and you will have a very difficult time getting ther negative properly cleaned .. assuming it processes correctly. Beyond that remember all the normal caveats about film that is out of dtae and has not been properly stored;; so, the question is how old and what was the temperature in your attic ...

It will process fin at somewhere between ISO 25-50 using your developer of choice. I often process it in Rodinal. My personal preference for film speed for T55 is 25.