PDA

View Full Version : Ries Tripod Service

alec4444
14-Sep-2006, 14:52
Hey Guys,

Got my second-hand Ries A100 tripod and A200 (single tilt) head in the mail today. They were purchased second hand. The tripod is in really nice shape and is a keeper. The tripod head, however, has a problem.

The metal plates that make up the single hinge are bent! It still functions, of course, but probably not as smoothly as it would if they were straight. It's pure speculation, but I'm guessing someone had to have tried to take this apart to bend them.

I sent an email to Ries explaining the situation. Does anyone know if Ries tripods are covered under warranty if purchased second hand? If they are, I'm guessing it's still not covered because it likely didn't happen under proper use.... Anyone know what their repair costs are like?

I also asked if they would take it as a trade-in for the A250 head. We'll see what happens; I have 10 days to figure out if I need to return it. Damn, or does it have to arrive within 10 days?! I'd better check again.

--A

Walter Calahan
14-Sep-2006, 15:38
The Ries people I've delt with are very good. Perhaps instead of waiting for a reply e-mail, simply call them to get your answers.

The worst case is you buy the replacement parts and fix the problem, or send it to them for service.

206-842-9558

Jay Wolfe
14-Sep-2006, 19:51
The metal in the hinge in my Ries have been bent also. You can carefully straighten them yourself and probably improve the functioning. I'd try that before sending it back to Ries.

Tracy Storer
14-Sep-2006, 20:52
Also worth noting for everyones future reference, that Ries heads should be tilted to 90 degrees when not in use to put those bendable brace leaves out of harms way.
Best,
TS

Tom Micklin
14-Sep-2006, 22:31
The Ries people I've delt with are very good. Perhaps instead of waiting for a reply e-mail, simply call them to get your answers.

The worst case is you buy the replacement parts and fix the problem, or send it to them for service.

206-842-9558

Give them a call. I've dealt with them over the phone several times and they are extremely helpful.

alec4444
15-Sep-2006, 10:39
Update: Got an email response and followed it up with a phone call. The lifetime warranty only applies to the original owner. That's fine, and I completely understand. They would not take it as a trade-in. Their repair estimate was totally reasonable and they were very nice.

That said, however, I think I'm going to return it. The cost of it was just under 1/2 price of a new double tilt head, which I'd very much prefer. The bummer is that the combo (head + tripod) was a much better deal than the tripod only. Ahh well, such is life.

Have to say I'm somewhat dissappointed with the vendor. He said the condition was "Mint-". The tripod certainly was, but not the head.

--A

tim atherton
15-Sep-2006, 11:02
my experience is somewhat the opposite - poor service and repairs from Ries on the one tripod I owned. Sold it and have been happy with Gitzos ever since

Steve Barber
17-Sep-2006, 21:35
my experience is somewhat the opposite - poor service and repairs from Ries on the one tripod I owned. Sold it and have been happy with Gitzos ever since

Your experience was different from mine. I found them to be extremely helpful with a problem with my tripod that I really didn't expect them to cover under warranty. In fact, they replaced the parts at no charge to me except shipping. When I called to order new parts, which I expected to pay for, they asked why I needed them and, when I explained, said "that should not have happened" and that they would replace them at no charge.

I am not questioning that you had a problem nor am I saying that Ries will fix anything and everything for free. I just really appreciated the treatment I received from them and, because it was so different from yours, think it worth mentioning.