PDA

View Full Version : FKD 13x18

Cynan
14-Sep-2006, 04:33
I'm looking for an old looking, wooden, 5 x 7, folding camera for under £150 to mess around with (tintypes). The FKD 13 x 18 seems ideal for this purpose.

Where can I find sample pictures taken with this beast?

Ted Harris
14-Sep-2006, 06:49
You will see them for sale all the time on eBay. The price is deceptively low. The problem is that neither the film holders nor the film are either the standard 5x7 or 13x18 size. You can acquire holders on eBay as well but they generally leak. You will either have to do some trimming to standard size film you buy or be limited to the very few emulsions still made in the CIS for these cameras. If you want to use it for tintypes it may be less problem but I belive there are other betteer ways to go ....

Ole Tjugen
14-Sep-2006, 13:16
The plate holders for the FKD cameras are for the standard 13x18cm size - but for plates, not film. Film sheaths for plate holders fot perfectly, as do original 13x18cm plates.

These pictures - http://www.bruraholo.no/Cameras/Angulon/ - were shot with the "original from which the FKD has been copied" - a 1910's German 13x18cm plate camera. The purpose of the shot was to check the relative sharpness of one pre- and one post-WWII Angulon 90mm f:6.8, not to create art or even decent pictures...

The FKD's can be newish-looking, but in my experience the "originals" cost less and are far better made.

Ted Harris
14-Sep-2006, 14:32
Thanks Ole! I was hopeful someone would pop up who had direct experience .... mine is not.