PDA

View Full Version : Ansel Adams: The Negative.....Miffed!

alec4444
13-Sep-2006, 07:30
Got Book 2 of Ansel Adams' trilogy series the other day and was really cranky when I skipped ahead to the darkroom chapter (Chapter 8) only to find some key text replaced with a few pages of the Acknowledgements & Forward. Anyone else have this same misprint? I'm going to drop a line to the publisher, Bullfinch Press.

--A

John Brady
13-Sep-2006, 08:04
Hi Alec, I have a copy in front of me. It is from the tenth paperback printing, 2002. It is published by Little Brown and company, their web site is bullfinchpress.com. My copy is perfect, sorry about yours but hope this helps you.

alec4444
13-Sep-2006, 14:39
Hmmm, mine's the 12th paperback printing, 2005. Well, we'll see what the publisher has to say. Thanks!

Donald Qualls
13-Sep-2006, 16:17
That's a binding error, rather than a printing one, and likely affects hundreds of copies; it's very unlikely the publisher is unaware of it, but it's impractical to check thousands of copies, in crates, in a warehouse, to weed out the affected ones. My experience with similar problems in other books in the past has been that publishers are very happy to replace such defective copies, if you can once get in contact with the correct person...

Paul Fitzgerald
13-Sep-2006, 17:48
Alec,

You should be able to exchange your copy with the book store and they can handle the return with the publisher. No good reason for you to be wasting time.

Just a thought.

Capocheny
13-Sep-2006, 18:22
I agree with Paul... just take it back to one of the major bookstores and have them deal with the problem!

I've had a few of those kinds of defective books as well and I find Chapters (here in Canada, eh?) are really easy to deal with. They took them back without flinching an eye.

I'd imagine the same thing would happen with a bookstore near you.:)

Cheers

alec4444
13-Sep-2006, 19:58
Thanks Guys! I'd return it to the "bookstore" but that would mean trying to deal with Amazon. I think I'd have an easier time returning it to the author.... Going to take my chances with the publisher. They're here in NYC and I'm hoping I can pick up a new copy. Used to work in publishing myself....pretty decent people there.

--A

Jon Shiu
13-Sep-2006, 22:08
Hi, Amazon has very good customer service. I have found them easy to work with and responsive.

Jon

Oren Grad
13-Sep-2006, 22:10
I received a blemished photo book from Amazon once - they readily took it back, with their apologies, sent a clean replacement, and even covered my return shipping cost.

windpointphoto
14-Sep-2006, 16:40
Amazon is a great company to deal with if a problem arises. Why knock them when you're willing to buy at their lower costs. And if you used to work in publishing yourself, why are you looking to us for an answer?

Andrew_4548
15-Sep-2006, 04:31
I've also had a problem with an Ansel book - The Negative is fine but I've just got The Print and The Camera from Amazon and one of them has a few blank (not intentionally) pages.

I've already had a replacement for one from Amazon but they sent the wrong one :( I've now got to send that back as an incorrect one and get the original blank one changed to a proper one - this is going to be fun to try to explain in 256 characters over two order numbers - D'Oh ;)

Jon Shiu
15-Sep-2006, 09:12
I've also had a problem with an Ansel book - The Negative is fine but I've just got The Print and The Camera from Amazon and one of them has a few blank (not intentionally) pages.

I've already had a replacement for one from Amazon but they sent the wrong one :( I've now got to send that back as an incorrect one and get the original blank one changed to a proper one - this is going to be fun to try to explain in 256 characters over two order numbers - D'Oh ;)
Hi, there is a link where you can call them or have them call you back within a certain time frame you specify. It worked fine for me.

Jon