PDA

View Full Version : resizing scan for epson 9800

false_Aesthetic
12-Sep-2006, 14:28
Hiya,

I'm scanning 4x5s on a Imacon 949 at max dpi (4x5" @ 2040ish dpi).

I'd eventually like to make 40x50" prints on a 9800. Are there programs or plug-ins avail that would help me resize the image while keeping a decent dpi?

I'd like to keep as much detail as possible since a bunch of us art kids will be inspecting the prints up close.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

T

Antonio Corcuera
12-Sep-2006, 15:52
Outputting 10x from an Imacon is going too far IMO (better off with a quality drum scan).
As for the upsizing/uprezing plug-in, Genuine Fractals seems to be very good, but I've never tried it.
Best,

Walter Calahan
12-Sep-2006, 16:01
In Photoshop CS2, when you resize up, change the interpolation from "bicubic" to "bicubic smoother".

I took a Nikon D2H file (naturally small), using bicubic smoother, I made a 40x60 print on my Epson 9600 with no problem. Now don't stand 12 inches from it, but from 5 or 6 feet away it looked great.

I don't think you'll have a problem.

Jack Flesher
12-Sep-2006, 17:34
I wrote an article describing the steps on doing this here: http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_60/essay.html

And FWIW, an Imacon scan of a 4x5 will print quite nicely at 40x50 -- no doubt a drum scan would be even better though.

PS: A little trick I discovered -- If you pull the margins just slightly inside the actual image area of the 4x5 -- a very subtle crop if you will -- you should then be able to scan at 2400 or 3200 on the Imacon ;)

Cheers,

Antonio Corcuera
12-Sep-2006, 19:05
Jack, that's a cool little trick you describe.... how "slightly" in mm or inches should the margins be pulled in for it to work? Thanks!

Jack Flesher
12-Sep-2006, 19:54
Jack, that's a cool little trick you describe.... how "slightly" in mm or inches should the margins be pulled in for it to work? Thanks!

I sold my Imacon some time back and cannot honestly remember, but it wasn't very much -- like maybe 1 ~ 2mm in on all sides.