PDA

View Full Version : Turning Locking Screw on Arca Swiss B1 Head

Brian Ellis
11-Sep-2006, 22:34
I'm trying to change the minimum friction point on my Arca Swiss B1 head. The instructions that came with the head say "if you wish to alter the minimum friction . . . turn the multifucntionknob until the desired minimum friction is obtained AND DIRECT THE LOCKING SCREW CLOCKWISE DOWN TO THE STOP WITH YOUR THUMB. The multifunction knob can now no longer be loosened beyond this point." (all caps added)

When they say to "direct the locking screw clockwise with your thumb" I assume they mean to turn it in a clockwise direction. I can't seem to turn the locking screw clockwise (or counter-clockwise for that matter) with my thumb (and I don't know what they mean by "the stop)." So I assume that the locking screw has become stuck.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get this thing unstuck without wrecking the head and can anyone explain what they mean by "the stop?" My head and the instructions quoted above are about 12 years old but about 7 years ago the locking screw fell out and Arca Swiss service replaced it with a newer version that wasn't supposed to be susceptible of falling out (i.e. the locking screw that's in the head isn't the one that was in it at the time the instructions were written, which may or may not be relevant to anything. I have a leave word in with Precision Camera Works, the Arca Swiss service people, but they haven't returned it and I'm in something of a rush so I thought I'd ask here.

Eric James
11-Sep-2006, 23:45
I have a newer B1, so I'm not sure that this applies.

The directions quoted instruct the user to increase the minimum-resistance setting. If the minimum-resistance setting is currently higher that you wish I would try this:

Begin by locking the ball tightly by turning the multifunction knob clockwise. Next, push the thumbscrew with all the force your thumb can muster and turn it counterclockwise. Will it move? (When the ball is set at a high level of minimum resistance, the thumbscrew becomes recessed beneath the housing - getting it started may be your bugaboo.)

In the quoted directions I believe "the stop" referred to is the point at which the thumbscrew stops turning clockwise for a given position of the multifunction knob; the more resistance you chose for a minimum setting, the further you can turn the thumbscrew clockwise before reaching "the stop".

I hope this helps.

Brian Ellis
12-Sep-2006, 08:22
Hi Eric - Thanks, actually I'm trying to reduce the minimum resistance distance but I get the idea from your message. Thanks.

JasonC
12-Sep-2006, 08:43
The instruction on the Precision Camera Works site is clearer than the one come with the head.

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Media/MonoOperMan.pdf

Hope this help.

Jason.