PDA

View Full Version : Remotely firing a shutter - how to ?

Daniel Grenier
11-Sep-2006, 12:03
Hi folks.

I need a way to remotely trigger a Copal 3 or Ilex 5 shutters a fair distance from where I will be standing (say a 100 ft or more?). A mechanical timer/trigger won't do as the triggering needs to be on-demand.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Lazybones
11-Sep-2006, 12:19
Use the Force?

Kevin Crisp
11-Sep-2006, 12:56
But beware of the dark slide.

Ralph Barker
11-Sep-2006, 15:18
Try looking for the remote triggers used for game or wildlife shots - essentially an RF or IR trigger circuit with a solenoid to physically activate the shutter. You may need to "creatively adapt" the usual thing to work a long conventional shutter release cable.

Ron Marshall
11-Sep-2006, 16:40
Buy a cheap radio controlled toy at Radio Shack, strip it and use the actuator to trip the shutter.

JW Dewdney
11-Sep-2006, 16:48
get someone to stand next to it and fire it for you. semaphore will do the rest.

Jim Jones
12-Sep-2006, 06:23
Shutters that do not require much force for tripping can be actuated by a solenoid from an old press camera. These solenoids can apply more force if energized by the charge on a suitable capacitor at a higher voltage than originally used.

KenM
12-Sep-2006, 06:56
Mables, and a good aim :D

JW had it right - drag someone with you and have them trigger the shutter for you.

Kevin: nice one!

Dan Fromm
12-Sep-2006, 07:12
I use to have an ex-Amiralty Automatic Dial Recording Camera made by Shackman. It had a solenoid-actuated Prontor Press shutter. Big hint there, I think.

So part of the solution is a solenoid that pushes when actuated plus mounting bracketry.

The second part is a radio device that closes a circuit when it receives a signal. I have a Kenlock R77 transmitter-receiver pair that I used to use to trigger a cine camera remotely.

And the final bit is, yes, a press shutter.

I suppose that you could rig a radio-controlled solenoid to cock a cock-and-release shutter, but the job would be simpler with a press shutter.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Lazybones
12-Sep-2006, 10:31
Kevin: nice one!

Hey, I set it up for him!;)

Ron Marshall
12-Sep-2006, 16:06
I suppose that you could rig a radio-controlled solenoid to cock a cock-and-release shutter, but the job would be simpler with a press shutter.

Dan

No need to cock the shutter, unless he is planning to make multiple exposures on the same sheet of film.

Ralph Barker
12-Sep-2006, 19:04
No need to cock the shutter, unless he is planning to make multiple exposures on the same sheet of film.

Then again, Daniel might have the Binford 2000 automatic film-holder flipper/changer/magazine. Great product. The only drawback was the noise and smoke from the 5hp engine. Why they used a 2-cycle engine, I'll never know. ;)

Ron Marshall
13-Sep-2006, 09:22
Then again, Daniel might have the Binford 2000 automatic film-holder flipper/changer/magazine. Great product. The only drawback was the noise and smoke from the 5hp engine. Why they used a 2-cycle engine, I'll never know. ;)

Is Binford still making the 2000 Ralph? I thought they discontinued it in the 70s.

Ernest Purdum
13-Sep-2006, 18:09
You might take a look www.ledex.com. This is a solenoid maker with a very wide line. You would probably need two different types since the characteristics of the Copal 3 and Ilex 5 are very different. I would be surprised, though, if they can't furnish something that would do the job. I have seen several of their rotary solenoids working the shutters on big process cameras.

Ron Marshall
13-Sep-2006, 18:33
Here are the specs for a linear push solenoid, 0.5 Lb force, 10mm throw, $18:

http://www.electromechanicsonline.com/product.asp?pid=18

GPS
14-Sep-2006, 10:01
A pull -solenoid is even better as it allows to be placed away from the direct contact with the shutter release lever (you can use a thread to link the lever to the solenoid placed where you have a good place for it). More freedom for the fiddle with it.

Ron Marshall
14-Sep-2006, 10:04
A pull -solenoid is even better as it allows to be placed away from the direct contact with the shutter release lever (you can use a thread to link the lever to the solenoid placed where you have a good place for it). More freedom for the fiddle with it.

Or mount a push upside-down with a string attached.

GPS
14-Sep-2006, 10:13
"Or mount a push upside-down with a string attached."
Perhaps, if it doesn't create a strange momentum on the selenoid lever.

paul stimac
14-Sep-2006, 18:34
What about those air bulb shutter releases. I've seen them 50ft before. B&H has a 20 footer but if you looked around or bought some surgical tubing the length you needed, I'm sure you could get it to work. If you want really far control, 100+ yards, I'd go to a model airplane hobby shop. I'm sure those people could set you up.
Good luck,

Ernest Purdum
14-Sep-2006, 19:48
Regarding air, which would be my recommendation in many cases, Daniel says he wants to work at 100 feet or more. 100 feet is about the outer limit for air releases and even then the shuttter has to be one that is fairly easy to release.

C. D. Keth
4-Oct-2006, 21:30
Hi folks.

I need a way to remotely trigger a Copal 3 or Ilex 5 shutters a fair distance from where I will be standing (say a 100 ft or more?). A mechanical timer/trigger won't do as the triggering needs to be on-demand.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I think the most interesting way would be to affix a pneumatic cable release with a bulb to the lens and purchase a remote controlled robot that could hold the bulb and squeeze it at that opportune time :)