PDA

View Full Version : New to using Gaoersi 6x17...

Photomax
11-Sep-2006, 08:47
Hi All!

First real post...

I have a full Sinar 4x5 system with three lenses a the bino viewing hood etc. I should use the camera more. Its much more suited as a studio & architecture system than a field camera though.

I really like the look and feel of wide panoramic photography though. To this end I just purchased a Gaoersi 6x17 camera (uses 120 film). Interesting camera. I am using my existing 90mm/6.8 Grandagon but had all kinds of troubles getting the lens calibrated to the 90mm lens adapter that came with the camera. In the end I had to get a shorter lens barrel sent from China that would allow me to calibrate the lens and secure the lens barrel with the outer locking lens ring. After a few weeks of fiddling and waiting for the new part I am ready to begin shooting some 100 Velvia.

Is there a question here you ask? Yes. Are there any other LF shooters who use pano Gaoersi cameras out there? Any observations or pointers you would like to share? Be interesting to hear from LF shooters that have discovered the 6x17 format as well. It seems like there are suddenly a bunch of different 6x17 systems on the market these days.

Cheers,

Max

John Hoang
11-Sep-2006, 12:02
I do not have the camera but here is the link that might provide more info about it:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/cameras/Gaoersi/page%201.htm

Photomax
11-Sep-2006, 13:27
Thanks, I have seen that. Good thorough write-up...

MJSfoto1956
11-Sep-2006, 16:07
Any observations or pointers you would like to share? Be interesting to hear from LF shooters that have discovered the 6x17 format as well. It seems like there are suddenly a bunch of different 6x17 systems on the market these days.
While not the 6x17, I ordered a Gaoersi 4x5 this summer. Took it to New Mexico to shoot handheld 6x12 negatives using my Horseman 6x12 back, 47mm Schneider XL, together with Portra 400NC. Loved the freedom it offered and was a brilliant companion to my Mamiya 7II. I too had some minor trouble getting the lenses to calibrate. In the end I was able to prove that the calibration marks were not accurate below 5 meters. So I will either black them out and create my own marks, or buy a Schneider helical focusing mechanism and have SK Grimes fit it for me.

You can see an example here:
http://static.flickr.com/94/240964088_f7bbe9572c.jpg

Also, this example shot taken in Steve Simmon's neck of the woods:
http://static.flickr.com/89/240980099_1fe02bd6e2.jpg

Look for an in-depth review of the Gaoersi 4x5 in the premier issue of MAGNAchrom (launching very soon!)

Photomax
11-Sep-2006, 16:35
Nice stuff!

I have documened my saga of calibrating my Grandagon here:
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewtopic.php?t=2207

This is a quick test shot taken today from Queen Anne Hill in Seattle, looking out towards the Olympic Mountains.

Film was outdated Fuji Provia and was scanned on a Epson 4870 PHOTO flatbed scanner. Unfortunately the largest medium format film mount that came with the scanner is 6x9. So what you see here is a 6x9 chunk of the 6x17 image. f/22 @ 1/30 sec.

Max

http://www.balmainphotography.com/images/highlandview_test.jpg

MJSfoto1956
11-Sep-2006, 17:06
I have documened my saga of calibrating my Grandagon here:
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewtopic.php?t=2207
Interesting. I verified the poorly-calibrated helical focusing marks using a combination of laser rangefinder and BetterLight back which has a micro focusing tool that is significantly more accurate than even the best loupe. The result is that I was able to determine with utmost precision where the marks *SHOULD* have been -- for my 75mm Grandagon N the focus was off by 2 meters when set at 2.5 meters!!!! However, infinity to 20 meters was plenty accurate.

Photomax
11-Sep-2006, 18:03
I am at the stage where I want to figure out how much "information" the slip on Gaoersi 90mm viewfinder is actually providing. Where are the edges of the actual film frame as compared to the viewfinder? I used a variety of cameras to help pinpoint focus at 6 meters with the 6x17. The distance scale on the lens adapter focus ring is in meters. I need to do more tests but I think the closer distances will be off somewhat.

I would be very interested in hearing more detail about the "rangefinder and BetterLight back" you used to determine distances. It would be nice to have some small pocket tool to determine accurate distances and then refer to a calibrated distance scale on the rotating lens ring. The Gaoersi comes with a ground glass which gets placed on the back film plane. You have to remove the back film back from the camera first though. The Gaoersi 6x17 functions much like a view camera: set camera on tripod, compose/focus picture with a loupe on a gg(black cloth required), determine exposure, load film remove dark slide and take picture.

You get 4 exposures on one roll of 120 film. I hope to learn if it is possible to skip the whole gg routine and use the viewfinder and some kind of accurate distance determination to speed up the process and be able to take different shots without wasting film. Hand held shots should be possible as well.

The amount of film area that a 6x17 frame gives you is pretty cool!

Max

MJSfoto1956
11-Sep-2006, 18:49
I am at the stage where I want to figure out how much "information" the slip on Gaoersi 90mm viewfinder is actually providing. Where are the edges of the actual film frame as compared to the viewfinder?

I gave up on the DaYi cheapo viewfinders and bought a used Silvestri viewfinder -- now *THAT* is a piece of beautiful engineering!

I would be very interested in hearing more detail about the "rangefinder and BetterLight back" you used to determine distances. It would be nice to have some small pocket tool to determine accurate distances and then refer to a calibrated distance scale on the rotating lens ring. The Gaoersi comes with a ground glass which gets placed on the back film plane. You have to remove the back film back from the camera first though. The Gaoersi 6x17 functions much like a view camera: set camera on tripod, compose/focus picture with a loupe on a gg(black cloth required), determine exposure, load film remove dark slide and take picture.

I use a $100 Stanley FatMax laser rangefinder -- it's lightweight and accurate to 1/4" up to 100'. No more bulk or weight than a typical light meter.

You get 4 exposures on one roll of 120 film. I hope to learn if it is possible to skip the whole gg routine and use the viewfinder and some kind of accurate distance determination to speed up the process and be able to take different shots without wasting film. Hand held shots should be possible as well.

Well I cheat -- I use 220 film with my Horseman and I get twelve 6x12 shots per roll (yes it really works!) :)

And I was able to completely avoid using the GG using the laser range finder + accurate focus marks. For me if I need a groundglass, I'd much rather use my Linhof.

Photomax
11-Sep-2006, 19:33
That Stanley rangefinder is way cool! A few years ago that kind of technology would have cost hundreds of dollars and would have been bulky as well. Did you use it mainly to calibrate your system or do you use it regularly in the field?

What did you pay for your Silvestri viewfinder? There are these that cover 6x17: http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1929

But I think I need to run more film through this camera to see what I can learn from the cheap Chinese finder that came with the camera. The point of this exercise is getting quality on the cheap. The Gaoersi looks nicely made though. I got it for $800 and I already owned the lens. It feels great in my hands. Today was the first day out for a quick test roll and already I had tow guys stop and ask me what kind of camera I was using.

Max

MJSfoto1956
12-Sep-2006, 04:23
What did you pay for your Silvestri viewfinder? There are these that cover 6x17: http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1929

I paid $390 for the Silvestri shift finder with a 47mm 6x12 mask. It was in exc++ condition. (note: the Gaoersi 4x5 has 25mm front shift, just like the Silvestri, so the use of the viewfinder is perfect)

Trust me, you definitely want to try to buy these babies used if you can!!!