PDA

View Full Version : Horseman LE vs Calumet 45NX vs Toyoview 45C (entry level 4x5 body)

Jon Law
21-Apr-1998, 11:11
I'm thinking of getting started in 4x5, expanding from 67 and 35mm. I'm planning on doing landscapes, archetecture, and portraits -- looks like my first lens wi ll be the rodenstock apo-sironar-S 135/5.6 with the so-called "extended HM" 208m m coverage. Will that be sufficient for moderate to extreme movements?<p? Additionally, I'm trying to decide between the Horseman LE, Calumet 45NX, and th e Toyo 45C. It looks like the Toyo is the best value and build for the money (US D$1050 at B&H) vs Horseman ($1439) and the Calumet ($989) as it has the great bu ild, center tilts, and LOTS of movements.

Any suggestions on which is better, which is advisable or not advisable? Or bett er bodies in this comparable range? Thanks!

-jon

jrl@blast.princeton.edu

Rob "John Henry" Rothman
21-Apr-1998, 16:29
208mm of coverage doesn't sound like much for "extreme" movements. The diagonal of a 4x5 sheet of film is approximately 150mm. That means the circle of covera ge has only a little over an inch on each side of the film. If you use no front tilt or swing, you could could use just about an inch of rise/fall or lateral s hift; that figure decreases even more if you use front tilt or swing.

Perhaps someone who has experience with lenses in the 135mm range could suggest something in that focal length which has more coverage--although I suspect a tru e wide angle design in that FL would be about the size and weight of the Matterh orn. I use a 210mm Symmar-S and a 120mm in a wide angle design, both of which h ave about 300mm of coverage. It may be more than I really need, but I'd be hesi tant about going out there with 1/3 less coverage.

MTHOMPSON_162
21-Apr-1998, 20:38
I used a 135 APO Symmar on a Zone VI 4X5, with and with out a bag bellows, and u sing moderate movements, I never ran out of coverage. I did have a 90 mm Super A ngulon, so the extreme movements in the 135mm FL were not a major concern. Previ ous to this I had a Speed Graphic, with very limited movements, and a 135 Graphe x Optar, which I became very comfortable with. The 120 to 135 mm focal length is a very useful length, and in combination with a 210, could very well cover 80% of the situations you encounter.

To get extreme coverage in this FL you will need a Grandagon 115 , Super Angulon 120, or SW Nikon 120. I picked up an older, mid 60's, 121 Super Angulon with pe rfect glass and shutter, for half the price of new. This might be something to c onsider from an economic stand point. Performance wise, the older design stands up right next to my 210 APO Symmar for sharpness and contrast. Hope this is help ful.