PDA

View Full Version : Shen-Hao FCL57-A Impressions

Amund BLix Aaeng
8-Sep-2006, 12:25
The 5x7 Shen finally arrived today!

Extreme minireview:

Positives:

Beautiful! :)
Lightweight, didn`t notice much difference from the 4x5 Shen.
Incredible nice focus control, smooth touch, but doesn`t creep when pointing camera up or down.

Negatives: No bubble levels.
Need larger backpack :)

Amund BLix Aaeng
8-Sep-2006, 12:26
More pics

Amund BLix Aaeng
8-Sep-2006, 12:28
And a few more..

Darcy Cote
8-Sep-2006, 13:36
Is this the panorama version? How much does it sell for?

Darcy

Amund BLix Aaeng
8-Sep-2006, 13:47
Is this the panorama version? How much does it sell for?

Darcy

It`s a regular 5x7, for some reason Shen-Hao calls it "5x7 Panorama Large Format camera".....

$1100 direct from Shen-Hao in Shanghai.

Darcy Cote
8-Sep-2006, 14:12
Amund:

Can you measure the outside dimension of your 5x7 back, I would like to know if their 5x7 backs would fit on my other cameras so could use it with my canham back.

Thanks,

Darcy

Amund BLix Aaeng
8-Sep-2006, 14:23
Amund:

Can you measure the outside dimension of your 5x7 back, I would like to know if their 5x7 backs would fit on my other cameras so could use it with my canham back.

Thanks,

Darcy

Sure 23,4cm both ways +- 1 mm or so.

Amund

Colin Graham
8-Sep-2006, 16:21
Wow, that looks pretty damn good, Amund. Those knobs look comfy! Like you can really crank down on them. I was curious, how do you close it? I've always wondered about cameras with the 'reversed' front standard struts...do you turn it around 180 degrees or does it just fold straight back? And is the focusing done with a lead screw instead of rack and pinions? Very nice indeed.

Chris Strobel
8-Sep-2006, 17:24
Absolutely beautiful!

Jan Pedersen
8-Sep-2006, 20:23
Amund, You just upset my nights sleep. How could you post these photos? ;)
Currently using the Shen Hao 4x5 (Not enough) i am wondering if it folds and works the same way?
It looks like a great improvement finish vise.
Do i really need a 5x7 too? Please tell me that the difference is insignificant.

Thanks for posting though.

jan

Amund BLix Aaeng
9-Sep-2006, 02:23
Can a moderator edit out the last "s" in the title?
Typing after a couple of glasses of red wine shouldn`t be allowed ;)

The knobs are very comfortable, and very positive in use, and the size and the rubber ring around them should make them very easy to use with gloves too.

The camera is much sturdier than the hzx45, it`s buildt to a higher standard, and should be at $1100.

Focus mechanism is a lead screw .

Colin Graham
9-Sep-2006, 07:04
That's too cool. Thanks. The fit and finish really look first rate.

Frank Petronio
9-Sep-2006, 08:31
Just wondering how much is an original design by Shen versus obvious copying of Phillips and Ebony? I would be more likely to purchase something like this if I knew it wasn't a direct rip-off. I understand that great artists and camera designers steal from the best sources, but I'd like to know that my dollars are not supporting people who are outright stealing intellectual property. I'm OK with Shen using ideas and inspiration from Phillips and Ebony -- in fact I think that is smart -- but I don't like the idea of some copycat undercutting an innovator.

Amund BLix Aaeng
9-Sep-2006, 10:09
Looking at some images of a Phillips 8x10 here http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/phillips/
the focus mechanism and the rear standard seems "inspired" by Phillips, but otherwise it`s not very similar.

Ole Tjugen
9-Sep-2006, 13:05
Considering that most of the basics (and details, too) of LF camera construction were established about a century ago, it's very tricky to speak of "rip-offs". The only LF camera maker who might be said to be "above suspicion" would be Gandolfi - they've made the same model for most of that century.

I've seen that focus mechanism on an 1880's German studio camera.

Amund BLix Aaeng
9-Sep-2006, 13:16
There you go Ole... Btw, the 5x7 format is really nice, I now understand... :)

Michael Kadillak
9-Sep-2006, 13:52
Does the 19" maximum bellows extension check out?

For the money it looks pretty sweet.

CHeers!

Yves M
9-Sep-2006, 13:57
It looks very nice !
I'm curious : do you received it in the approximate time you expected ?
Thank you.

Amund BLix Aaeng
9-Sep-2006, 14:06
Does the 19" maximum bellows extension check out?

For the money it looks pretty sweet.

CHeers!

480mm extention is more than enough for me, no problem.
I "field tested" it today, and it`s a joy to use. The design of the rear standard make the Blackjacket fit prefectly, no light leaks. :)

Yves, the camera cames just a few day after the money was transferred, couldn`t be more happy with the transaction.

Lee Hamiel
9-Sep-2006, 15:45
Happy for you Amund - Glad you are pleased & happy with it.

Colin - It's similar in closing to a Wisner Tech - see Amund's last two photos - the #4 photo shows the first movement & #3 shows the next.

You loosen the two front struts & tilt towards the GG - at the same time you loosen the rise & flip the lensboard the other way & downward towards the base - may have to raise or lower the lensboard depending on the fit.

I also understand Frank as to wondering about the design side & thus far it looks like people feel it's different enough to not be infringing on others (except for the cost:))

Outside of the Wisner geared rear axis tilt or Arca's Orbix it's my guess that it's an open field for most LF designs.

Be a good thread to post just for design aspects from a design & patent point of view.

Lee Hamiel
9-Sep-2006, 15:48
Also wanted to mention that your images show the camera very well & better than the maker's site.

Good Pics

Alex Hawley
9-Sep-2006, 17:38
Most beautyful Amund. Enjoy!

Frank Petronio
9-Sep-2006, 17:53
Isn't it ironic that camera manufacturers usually have lousy photos of their products?

It is a tempting camera. You say it has a higher build quality than the 4x5 Shen. Can you please elaborate? Tighter joints, better hardware, or what?

Capocheny
9-Sep-2006, 22:08
Amund,

Good to hear you're happy with that beauty...

And a beauty she is! :)

Cheers

Amund BLix Aaeng
10-Sep-2006, 02:07
Frank, everything is tighter, the metal hardware is thicker and seems of better quality metal.
If didn`t have a Wehman already, I`d take a serious look at the 8x10 :)

Gary Samson
10-Sep-2006, 07:46
Amund,
Congratulations! I am really impressed with your new camera and I love the 5x7 format. Is the lens board for the FCL57-A the same as the Linhof Technica boards?
Thanks,
Gary

Amund BLix Aaeng
10-Sep-2006, 08:59
Yes, standard Technica lensboards.

George Hart
11-Sep-2006, 05:54
Amund, how short a lens can it take? Do you have to drop the bed for the shortest focal lengths?

Thanks, George

Amund BLix Aaeng
11-Sep-2006, 07:25
I don`t have anything shorter than a 150mm, so I really don`t know.. Minimum bellows extention is 90mm

Ole Tjugen
11-Sep-2006, 08:03
I don`t have anything shorter than a 150mm, so I really don`t know.. Minimum bellows extention is 90mm
Bring it over here, Amund! We can try a 121mm and a 90mm...

Nick_3536
11-Sep-2006, 09:44

I'm suprised. The other Shen 5x7 will go less then that. With tilting the standards back I think it'll actually go to 65mm. Your model has shorter bellows overall so I'd figure it would go at least as wide.

Ben Calwell
11-Sep-2006, 12:32
Amund,
Beautiful camera. I notice that you have the Fuji 250 6.7W lens. I have one also, which I'm using on 8x10. It's a great lens for 8x10 if you ever move up a format.

Amund BLix Aaeng
11-Sep-2006, 12:41
Amund,
Beautiful camera. I notice that you have the Fuji 250 6.7W lens. I have one also, which I'm using on 8x10. It's a great lens for 8x10 if you ever move up a format.

I do have a Wehman 8x10 :)
What a great lens!!

Paul Fitzgerald
11-Sep-2006, 17:55
Amund,

Congrats, good luck and great fun with it. Thanks for the post and pics.

2 questions if you would:
the back looks to be a 'Graflok' style, does it take Graflok accessories directly?
a guestimate of the largest size of Packard shutter that could be fit to it.

Christmas in September.

Amund BLix Aaeng
12-Sep-2006, 02:43
Yep, Graflok back.

I guess you could squeeze in a 4x4 packard behind the front standard.

Paul Fitzgerald
12-Sep-2006, 18:10
Thank you Amund, that would work out well for me.

This is just exactly what a recovering 'ebay junkie' needed to see.

Oh well, Christmas is coming:D

Chris Pandino
12-Sep-2006, 22:10
Amund,
I'm curious...Why did you decide on the FCL57 vs. the HZX57?

Lighter weight? Lower cost?

Chris

Amund BLix Aaeng
13-Sep-2006, 01:55
Amund,
I'm curious...Why did you decide on the FCL57 vs. the HZX57?

Lighter weight? Lower cost?

Chris

The lighter weight. The HZX is only $80 more, so that was not an issue.

Dan Jolicoeur
14-Sep-2006, 06:33
It looks like they have used linear guide bearings on the focus axis on the bottom? Can you confirm this? If you don't know what I mean look at the pictures of the focus screw, on both side there is a metal rail that runs the length. I am also confused about the guide blocks; are there 2 or 4? They are the little red blocks that atatch to the rails. In one picture there only apears to be 2, but in the pictures of the camera up right it, appears that there are 4, 2 on each side? Can you clearify this for me please?
Dan

Nice Camera by the way

Amund BLix Aaeng
14-Sep-2006, 08:49
It looks like they have used linear guide bearings on the focus axis on the bottom? Can you confirm this? If you don't know what I mean look at the pictures of the focus screw, on both side there is a metal rail that runs the length. I am also confused about the guide blocks; are there 2 or 4? They are the little red blocks that atatch to the rails. In one picture there only apears to be 2, but in the pictures of the camera up right it, appears that there are 4, 2 on each side? Can you clearify this for me please?
Dan

Nice Camera by the way

Thanks. Here`s a few snaps the hopefully answer your question Dan.

Dan Jolicoeur
14-Sep-2006, 12:43
Sweet! Nice smooth focus I can imagine? I use these rails in different sizes and they work great.

Thanks for the photos,
Dan

Amund BLix Aaeng
14-Sep-2006, 15:50
You`re welcome. Yes, the focus is very fast, smooth and precise. Perfect :)

Enough images of the camera, here`s a quick portrait of my son.

Foma 200 in HC-110 dil B, 12" Ilex Paragon . 1/10s @ f/8

Paul Fitzgerald
17-Sep-2006, 10:20
Amund,

It's all your fault ;) , I just found:

Shen-Hao FCL810 - A (http://www.shen-hao.com/E810.html)

Blonde wood, black bellows, silver hardware, looks crisp, clean, just right. Now to find their direct link web page and tell them how to hot-rod it. It needs:

4x5, 5x7 and 5x12 backs, they already make the 4x10;
SatinSnow ground glass, maybe Dave could do a licensing agreement :eek:
a bail arm to open the back;
trunnions at the rear body mounts and pivots at the rear tilt arm mounts to allow rear swing without inducing rear shift. Should be an easy change on the production line :D

Yes, Christmas is coming, now to sell some toys to pay for it.

Amund BLix Aaeng
17-Sep-2006, 11:37
Lol, I guess your custom camera would be slightly more expensive than mine.
The back your describing sounds like a Wehman rear standard :)
I`d love to have Shen-Haos front standard on my Wehman...

Will
1-Oct-2006, 03:55
Nice, handled a FCL-810 in Guangzhou when it frist came out.

Just think if they make a 4x5 with that minimist design :)

Rider
1-Oct-2006, 14:59
Is their website http://www.shen-hao.com/?

I can't get throught.

Nice camera though. Is there a 4x5 reducing back?

Amund BLix Aaeng
1-Oct-2006, 15:04
Tjere is something wrong with the site it seems, but here is the 5x7: http://www.shen-hao.com/E57512.html

Yes, I have the 4x5 back for it.

400d
2-Oct-2006, 02:35
The red doesn't turn me on at all..I am always after black body..

Will
2-Oct-2006, 10:54
Tjere is something wrong with the site it seems, but here is the 5x7: http://www.shen-hao.com/E57512.html

Yes, I have the 4x5 back for it.

4x5 or the FCL-57?

Amund BLix Aaeng
2-Oct-2006, 10:59
I have the FCL57 with both 5x7 and 4x5 backs.

Mike Castles
15-Feb-2007, 17:56
Amund, was wondering if you would mind giving a post-impression of the FCL57 now that you have had it for a few months? Interested in the camera, and wondering about your thoughts after using it.

Thank You

fraseran
15-Feb-2007, 21:55
Hey Amund and everyone else,
Did the camera come with a lens board? What lens(s) did you choose, and do you have any recomendations? I am saving up for the Shen hao FCL57-A , and it will be my first 5x7...Do you have any other tips about the camera or 5x7 in general? there's my barrage of questions for you. Thanks for your time.
Andy

Amund BLix Aaeng
16-Feb-2007, 06:40
I`m still very happy with it, great camera! With a 210mm lens the front standard has to be set to the next screw on the focusing rail, with a 250mm you can leave it in the outer position. I love the axis tilt on the front standard, I wish my 8x10 had this.
It does come with a lens board. I use a 210mm Caltar II-N most of the time, great lens!

Mike Castles
16-Feb-2007, 17:04
Thank You Amund, good to hear it still leaves you smiling.

Morten
27-Mar-2007, 15:05
MY very own 5x7 Shen finally arrived today!

Thanks to Amund's very positively inspired review!!

Just waiting for the weekend and easter holliday for some test shots!!

Looks great!!

Morten :-)

Amund BLix Aaeng
27-Mar-2007, 15:13
MY very own 5x7 Shen finally arrived today!

Thanks to Amund's very positively inspired review!!

Just waiting for the weekend and easter holliday for some test shots!!

Looks great!!

Congrats, It`s really a beauty isn`t it. :)

Buuuuut....., I was just about to email you, as I just(as in ten minutes ago) discovered a serious flaw in Shen`s description of it`s front movements, read my post in this (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24453)thread.

I have mostly used it for portraits and simple stuff until now, and really didn`t notice I had 28mm less front rise than advertised...:eek:

Morten
27-Mar-2007, 15:22
Congrats, It`s really a beauty isn`t it. :)

Buuuuut....., I was just about to email you, as I just(as in ten minutes ago) discovered a serious flaw in Shen`s description of it`s front movements, read my post in this (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24453)thread.

I have mostly used it for portraits and simple stuff until now, and really didn`t notice I had 28mm less front rise than advertised...:eek:

Uppss.. was just reading that post... and was thinking... ohhh Shit! :(

But then I guess I'm OK for landscape and portraits which are my main subjects, feels that way now when compared to my Zone VI, aleast without doing any actual shoots with the camera:rolleyes: lets wait and see :-)

Regards
Morten

Dave Morrison
6-Apr-2007, 15:42
Hey Morten,

How did you purchase the 5x7 - through the Shen-Hao website, or a distributor? Would you mind providing the details?

Thinking about getting one myself.

Cheers - Dave

Morten
7-Apr-2007, 01:58
Hi Dave,

Directly from Shen-hao. After checking with Amund who gave me the email adress to their contact. (I will send it to you in a pm) Very smooth transaction for me. After I transfered the fund, they shipped the camera with extras (4x5 back and lensboards) to me using FedEX, and provided me with a tracking no. Took less than two weeks from I sendt the funds.

I'm very happy!

Best regards
Morten

Amund BLix Aaeng
12-May-2007, 15:08
Just a little update on the issue with my front standard, I recieved a new one today with 70mm of rise, great service from Shen-Hao! :)

Morten
12-May-2007, 16:39
Thanks Amund! My email requesting the same is on it's way to Shen-Hao! But anyhow thats great service from Shen-Hao!!

Just a little update on the issue with my front standard, I recieved a new one today with 70mm of rise, great service from Shen-Hao! :)

Amund BLix Aaeng
13-May-2007, 02:38
Ouch, you got the "short" front standard too... But you`ll get a new one from them just as I did...

turtle
18-May-2007, 00:24
Hi,

I am the same turtle as on Rangefinderforum in case anyone was wondering!

Can you comment specifically on rigidity with this camera? I am wondering whether the aluminium has been cleverly used so that it is not subject to bending forces. some aluminium cameras just are not that rigid. I have to say that it looks fabulous. Nicely made, precise etc. I am especially interested in rigidity at near max extension such as for a 450mm lens. If you have anything you could comapre to that would really help.

It is $1000 cheaper than a Canham 5x7 and similar weight. Anyone got experience of both as that really would answer my question!

Rgds

Richard Martel
3-Jul-2007, 11:53
Hi Folks,

it appears from some of the fine photos of this camera that one will have to relocate the front standard in order to use shorter focal length lenses. I'm guessing that is the reason for the four threaded inserts located on the front "rail". Does that mean, in order to use my 110mm SS on this camera, I would have to unscrew the knurled knob on the front standard,relocate the standard and then move the standard back to the front in order to fold the camera up???

Regards, Richard

Morten
3-Jul-2007, 11:59
Does that mean, in order to use my 110mm SS on this camera, I would have to unscrew the knurled knob on the front standard,relocate the standard and then move the standard back to the front in order to fold the camera up???

Yes, thats correct. But its quickly and easy done.

Best regards
Morten

Richard Martel
3-Jul-2007, 13:31
Thanks Morton,

I neglected to ask if the bed gets in the image when one uses a wide angle lens and therefore the need to "drop the bed" and back tilt both front and rear standards.

Thanks again, Richard

Ross Chambers
21-Jul-2007, 00:19
Maybe the last question posed still seeks an answer?

I found that the moderately wide angle 105 mm does pick up some of the bed, when everything is at detente settings. A little front rise fixed this. 105 mm is the widest lens I have so I can't vouch for anything shorter. (Certainly better than the Zero Image 4x5 at 25mm when the quick release plate sometimes appears in shot!)

Regards - Ross