PDA

View Full Version : QR recommendation for Tiltall?

Bill_1856
8-Sep-2006, 08:05
I can't see spending several hundred dollars for a new carbon fiber tripod and magnesium head to save a pound from the 6# of my elderly Tiltall. I do miss not having QR though. Can you recommend one which won't add more than a few ounces to the weight (preferably with bubble levels)? Thanks.

David A. Goldfarb
8-Sep-2006, 11:47
I use a Wimberley C-30 on my Tiltall, but no levels. The Kirk and RRS clamps have levels generally, and they're both nicely made. I'd avoid the RRS clamp with the cam lever--the ones with the screw have a tighter grip.

There's a guy who sells Arca-Swiss style plates in various lengths on eBay under the name "fletcher28wu" very cheaply. If you e-mail him directly you can order them in any combination, and the deal he's given me was usually six plates for the price of five. I've got 18 of them.

Leonard Evens
8-Sep-2006, 11:59
I manage quite well without quick release with my old Tiltall Pro, but every once and a while I look into the possibility of getting a carbon fiber tripod. But every time I look, I find that for plausible legs and head, the weight comes pretty close to what I already have, about 6 lbs.

Securing the monorail section of my Toho FC-45X takes less than five seconds. I don't think using a quick release would speed things up signficantly. Are there other advantages to a quick release?

Bill_1856
8-Sep-2006, 12:32
Securing the monorail section of my Toho FC-45X takes less than five seconds. I don't think using a quick release would speed things up signficantly. Are there other advantages to a quick release?
Leonard, I'm about to take a workshop, and will need to interchange my 4x5 and a small digital camera for backup and (self) instructional purposes. It takes me more like 30 seconds to attach the Graphic, and probably at least a couple of minutes with a lot of fumbling to juggle two cameras. It's more a matter of decreasing my frustration level than saving a little bit of time. It would also be nice to not carry a separate hand level.

David A. Goldfarb
8-Sep-2006, 12:35
Well, with a long QR like the one I have, I can have a short plate on the body of my Technika and a long plate on the bed, and I can slide the camera from one plate to the other or the clamp can span both plates for better balance and strength, and it functions a bit like a ersatz macro rail in a pinch. Obviously it doesn't have the precision of a geared macro rail, but it doesn't have the bulk either, and I can leave the plates on the camera all the time.

I do find it a bit faster to connect various cameras to the Tiltall with the QR with no hunting around for the tripod hole. With a camera like the Toho or another small monorail like a Gowland, though, it's pretty easy to locate the tripod hole quickly, so it doesn't make as much of a difference.

Ron McElroy
8-Sep-2006, 20:47
I've used a Linholf quick release on my Tiltall for lots of years. I don't think they are inexpensive though. I think I bought this one from KEH in the mid 80s and its held up great.

Jim Ewins
8-Sep-2006, 22:31
After taking a workshop with Michael and Paula Chamlee I fasten direct to my Berlebach. (I shoot 4x5 & 8x10 B&J monrails) No 3 way no QR. I level with the legs looking threw the GG. I pay more attention to the subject and consideration to composition. I do like my 3047 with MF & 35mm.