PDA

View Full Version : Help a guy out for a second?

JW Dewdney
7-Sep-2006, 17:04
Sorry people. My CMS (color management) is all messed up at the moment. Would any of you mind possibly telling me if one of these two images is too dark, or too light and which? How about color balance. I'm going to try to post a poll to make it easy - but I've never done it before. Hope it works.

Here are the images.
http://www.arcfoto.com/test/

robc
7-Sep-2006, 18:17
I'd say the lighter one is too light because the darker one seems to have more contrast. If the dark one was too dark it would have less contrast. Or to put it the other way, the lighter one is becoming washed out although it seems to have better reds unless that red cupboard thingy in the middle is really supposed to be brown.
An I'm the only one (so far ) who thought that way...

maybe its just me and my monitor.

JW Dewdney
7-Sep-2006, 18:24
Thanks so much for the responses thus far. I had a bad crash and was in the middle of prepping some web stuff. So - my new install of photoshop on OS X was suggesting that my source material that I'd already painstakingly corrected was way too dark. And too red. So I did a correction curve (which might account for the contrast difference) - but then I viewed the result in firefox and it was way too light! So I get completely inconsistent results between firefox and photoshop. I guess I should have set up my CMS prefs in photoshop! I'm guessing photoshop's the one that's out. It's just that I'd done a fair amount of system level stuff to get things just so - so I didn't think that'd happen. Anyway - I just wanted to know what the majority of people are seeing on THEIR monitors.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR HELPING! I appreciate it greatly.

J.

Tim Lookingbill
7-Sep-2006, 23:39
The light one looks correct for a balanced office environment and the color of the carpet directly in front is picking up the correct catch light color cast of blue from the window. The darker one looks like the lights have been turned off and the redish brown tint doesn't agree with the rest of the color surround in the scene.

As to which one is as intended of course you can only know.

Sorry to here about your CM troubles, hope this exchange here helps you out.